Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Nikon will stop making most film cameras (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Nikon will stop making most film cameras
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-15-2006 05:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its sad to read about this... Consumer film cameras are quickly comming to an end.......

Link To Article

Thursday, January 12, 2006; Posted: 7:16 p.m. EST (00:16 GMT)

(AP) -- Nikon Corp., which helped popularize the 35mm camera five decades ago, will stop making most of its film cameras to concentrate on digital models.

The Japanese company said it wanted to focus on "business categories that continue to demonstrate the strongest growth" as film cameras sales keep shrinking.

Nikon will discontinue seven film-camera models, leaving in production only the current top-line model, the F6, and a low-end manual-focus model, the FM10.

It will also stop making most of its manual-focus lenses.

Most of the company's autofocus lenses work with manual-focus bodies, however. Also, German optical company Carl Zeiss AG is widely reported to be planning a line of manual-focus lenses for Nikon bodies.

Nikon did not give firm dates for the discontinuation of its products, but said Wednesday that sales will cease as supplies are depleted.

Major competitor Canon Inc. still makes five models of single-lens reflex film cameras. At the lower end of the market, Eastman Kodak Co. announced in 2004 that it would stop selling film cameras in the United States and Europe.

Nikon ranks fifth in digital-camera shipments in the United States, behind Kodak, Canon, Sony Corp. and Fuji Photo Film Co.

Nikon was a major force in establishing the dominance of the 35mm single-lens reflex camera, the workhorse of professionals and sophisticated amateurs until the arrival of digital cameras.

Its breakthrough model was the F, released in 1959. It set a standard for ruggedness and reliability and became a must-have for photojournalists.

Unusually, Nikon has maintained the same lens mount over the years, meaning most lenses from 1959 will fit today's digital models and vice versa, albeit with functional restrictions.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-15-2006 05:30 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have my Nikon F2a (25th Anniversary). Wouldn't think of parting with it, nor its lenses. (28, 50 and 135)

Steve

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-15-2006 05:55 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, to me, that is the ***Perfect*** combo of basic 35mm film camera lenses!

I have the same!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-15-2006 08:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What... you two don't have the full set?????? [Razz] Some days I'm not sure if I bought the VV camnera or the F-2 to be able to use use the Nikors.... OK, I bought the F-2 body after I moved out here actually.... I was a Canon fan till I started using the Nikors! 18mm to 300mm......

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-15-2006 09:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have a Yashica FR-1. Takes great shots but I haven't used it in a long time. So I guess this isn't a surprising development.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-17-2006 04:33 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have my Canon AE-1 too...not a bad camera at all...not up to the Nikon camera and the Nikkor lenses are definately superior.

My Canon was the orginal mount with the non-locking ring...one just turned the ring to tighten it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-17-2006 08:22 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
My Canon was the orginal mount with the non-locking ring...one just turned the ring to tighten it.

All Canon camera end mounts are the same... the difference is in the mounting part of the lens. I prefer the older style lock ring like you have. If you ever use the AE-1 seriously again have the shutter curtain timming checked first. The springs get lazy and change a bit if it sits around... can cause exposure to be off.

Mark

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-17-2006 01:46 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve
I still have my Canon AE-1 too ... My Canon was the orginal mount with the non-locking ring
Me too. Still use it.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-17-2006 05:55 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Olympus OM-1. Still takes damn great pics!!

I use it for action shots at the mx tracks, it beats the digitals when it comes to catching fast action.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2006 04:41 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nikon cutting out cameras, Kodak cutting out still film; time to go back to glass plates!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-18-2006 06:54 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Get with the program boys and get a Nikon D-100 like I have. It's quite an amazing camera and it's digital too! That of course means far superior photographs than is possible with conventional analog film which as we all know gets scratched and dirty. [Razz]

Seriously though, the images off of it are quite often BETTER than 35mm film.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-18-2006 08:19 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nikon cutting out cameras, Kodak cutting out still film; time to go back to glass plates!

While still film product volumes are declining, they certainly are substantial, with well over $2 BILLION in revenue in 2005. Film was still used for about 15 BILLION still photos taken in 2005. Motion picture film products had one of their best years ever in 2005.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2006 08:20 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with brad , todays digital still cameras are taking better pictures than analogue cameras. and yes no negatives to get dusty and scratched, but the big issue I see is how do we keep the pictures safe so they last . It is proved that film/photo processing pictures will last a very long time indeed , but with digital pictures now printed out instead of being developed , will they last 100 years ? , if we store them on cd's they will have a limited life , and I doubt a hard drive would still function when 100 years old . How do we keep them safe ?

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2006 08:58 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Konica Minolta are latest to dump film. they are even selling off their digital camera division to Sony as reported here
Konica Minolta quits photo market

Konica Minolta is focusing its business elsewhere
Japanese photographic equipment maker Konica Minolta has announced plans to withdraw from the camera business.
Konica Minolta said the market had become too competitive, and added it would sell its digital camera business to Japanese electronics giant Sony.

Konica Minolta is planning to cut 3,700 jobs, or 11% of its workforce, by 2007 as part of a restructuring drive.

Earlier in January, fellow Japanese cameramaker Nikon said it would stop making most of its film camera line.

Instead, Nikon intends to focus most of its effort on digital cameras.

Digital era

Konica Minolta, which was formed from the merger of the two companies in 2003, warned in November that it was on course to post a full-year net loss of 47bn yen ($408m; £232.5m).

Its decision to ditch the camera business altogether includes the cessation of its colour film and photo paper business, in which it has trailed Eastman Kodak of the US and Japan's Fuji Photo Film.

Instead, it plans to focus on products such as colour office photocopiers and medical imaging equipment.

"In today's era of digital cameras...it became difficult to timely provide competitive products even with our top optical, mechanical and electronics technologies," Konica Minolta said.

"For colour film and colour paper, while considering our customer needs, we will step-by-step reduce product line-up and cease our film production and colour paper by the end of fiscal year ending 31 March, 2007."

The global photographic market has been undergoing a major upheaval recently, with many key players withdrawing from traditional areas of the industry.

As well as Nikon's decision, Eastman Kodak has said for some time that digital is to be its priority in the future.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2006 12:56 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CDs are supposed to last at least 50-100 years, and they can be copied in the meantime before they deteriorate. (Course none have been around that long to tell for sure....)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: