Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Stand alone power conditioner recommendations

Author Topic: Stand alone power conditioner recommendations
Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-06-2006 01:35 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody had good luck with any make/model of small end-device power conditioners? Not the crappy ones included in an UPS, but an actual line conditioner, or double line conditioner suitable for about a 400 watt load.

I've got one server in a manufacturing environment that is suffering from some scary harmonics causing random reboots. The early morning pages are starting to get annoying.

|  IP: Logged

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2006 05:35 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If power quality is that bad, you might want to try a true online UPS like a Liebert UPStation GXT or Tripp-Lite SmartOnline. Unless they're bypassed they always run the load off of their internal inverter. You might also want to get a good electrician in first to see if you've got a problem with triplen harmonics that can be helped by upsizing the neutral or installing a filter.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-06-2006 05:59 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Here ya go Daryl... like their cables, a great value at 10x the cost.

Monster Power Conditioner. [Wink] [Razz] [evil]

I agree with Robert, a full-time inverter isolated UPS and/or look for an undersized neutral if you have a lot of high-power switcher-powered and/or vari-speed motor drive equipment. Those types of devices are known to reflect their "noise" back to the AC Line supply and distort AC power waveform to all equipment...especially on the neutral. That can cause havoc with computer equipment.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-06-2006 07:11 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dudeness, that Monster Power Conditioner sucks incredible amounts of ass. It doesn't even have an inverter. I hope Noel Lee spontaneously combusts for no reason.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-06-2006 07:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a 1.2 KVA SOLA power line conditioner/isolator. Its the transformer type and has a soft buzz to it from the special resonant transformer it uses. It also does generate some heat but new it was expensive, around $1200.00 and it has excellent specs. I bought three of them surplus for $20.00, a friend has one on his computer as well.

Mark

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-06-2006 09:02 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem with undersized neutrals, and not a lot of single phase equipment around to cause major triplen issues. Just a lot of large equipment drawing many thousands of kVA.

This server is the only one on the wrong side of the office feed's conditioner and I'd like to avoid the costs and inspections & approvals required to run a branch circuit from that end of the building. Unfortunately, due to the machinery this server interfaces with, locating the server in the server room with the rest of them isn't an option either.

The SmartOnline is exactly what I am looking for. I had forgotten that Tripp Lite had double conversion UPSes. Thanks Robert.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: