Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Holy Snow! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Holy Snow!
Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 02-12-2006 02:52 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh, first (and hopefully last) big snowstorm of the season. It's been a dull winter as far as the white stuff goes here in Massachusetts...

-
My poor little car, all buried.
 -
My apartment is on the 3rd floor of the second house back.
 -
This wouldn't be such a big deal if the tide wasn't so low and you could actually see the other side of the island like you are supposed to... Visibility is crap. This pic was taken from the exact same spot as the pic of my house, in the other direction - no zoom used. I live right on the water, I can't see ANY water from my house right now. [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2006 03:03 PM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Rachel, here in Austria on the "Sonnblick" (a 9000 feet high mountain) there is about 30 feet (!!!) of snow. Yes, an incredible amount. Furthermore, there is a lot of snow (6-9 feet)in some Austrian communities (especially in Upper Austria). Don't they show that in the news?

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 02-12-2006 03:25 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would they show it on our news, you're too far away... [Smile] You really can't complain, you live there knowing about your massive amount of snow... as I live here knowing about ours. I just liked my white pictures and wanted to show them off. [Smile] Actually, we're doing good this year, way under the amount of snow we got last year.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-12-2006 04:17 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There literally has not been a single snowflake in York this winter. I'd say that we've had a slightly milder winter than has been the norm over the past 3-4 years. This is all the more ironic, given that back in October, weather forecasters were repeatedly warning that we were about to experience the worst winter for many years (story). What's happened instead is that Eastern Europe and Russia have had record-breakingly low temperatures (-38 degrees C in Moscow last week), and now the East Coast of the US is having severe snowstorms; but Western Europe and the UK seem to have escaped it so far.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-12-2006 04:18 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Madamn Moderator, that's exactly why I left Michigan years ago. I got sooo tired of all that winter crap! Sure it's "pretty" to watch the falling snow and seeing it drift, play in it and make "angels"....that is until it you have to shovel it. It was no use keeping one's hands on the steering wheel when driving. Because of the slick roads, the car went wherever the wind blew it.

Besides, I hate the cold weather! I'm a hot-blooded person. [Wink] [Razz]

Currently here in Hollywood: 82 °F / 28 °C Scattered Clouds

From my deck looking toward the Pacific Ocean...
 -

Recent Sunset
 -

If I want snow, it's a 2-hour drive to the mountains... [Big Grin]

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 02-12-2006 05:20 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, I hate you.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-12-2006 05:25 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I love you too... let's snuggle. [thumbsup]

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2006 05:47 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah more than 17" in gloucester and danvers. Rachel, If i can manage to tunnel to you i might help you dig out your car!

John Hegel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2006 06:13 PM      Profile for John Hegel   Author's Homepage   Email John Hegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last week I could see 95% of my lawn, and was thinking winter is over.

-

I guess not.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-12-2006 07:57 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, I've always said Southern California would be a great place to live if about half the people living there now would pack up and leave. Not referring to you of course. [Wink]

Actually I grew up there (The OC), but I finally left in 1990. There are many things I miss about SoCal (weather included), but I sure don't miss the traffic and overall congestion.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-12-2006 08:27 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David for that Ummmm "compliment". [Wink]

Seriously, I agree about the traffic... but it's no worse than any other major city. I thought Ft. Worth and Dallas drivers and traffic suck many more times than here. Oh and don't even mention Detroit or Ft. Lauderdale! YIKES!

BTW: I worked in Burbank and chose to live in Hollywood not only for the location but also it was opposite of the major traffic flow in the mornings and evenings. Unless there was a wreck on the 101 (Hollywood) freeway, I've had no problem with traffic flow for me...the heavy traffic and jams are in the opposite direction for me. [thumbsup]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-12-2006 08:30 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice view, Phil. [thumbsup]

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2006 11:43 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went up to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan last week to go snowmobiling. They have 3 or so feet on the ground, and the locals said most of it came in one night.

Driving on the roads, I dont think you could go in the ditch if you tried, there were 4' snowbanks on either side of the roads.

-
 -
 -

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 02-12-2006 11:45 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, that lighthouse looks familiar.

Sean: Please help me dig out....please!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-13-2006 12:36 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got a bunch of snow in November and some more in December but have had mostly 50 and higher temps most of January and into February. In fact today we were at 59 degrees and not a snowflake in sight. I'm getting to where I almost miss the white stuff. (Almost.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: