Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » JJ Abrams to produce new Star Trek feature film (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: JJ Abrams to produce new Star Trek feature film
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-21-2006 10:38 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JJ Abrams to produce/direct Star Trek feature film

Yep, that's right children. Mr. Alias/lost/MI3 will go where nobody wanted him to go.... direct to Star Trek land.

Will this end his career? Will we see a good star trek movie? Is he just trying to get the bad taste of Tom Cruise out of his mouth?

One thing is for certain... No one associated with Star Trek currently will be involved with the project. This could be the only good news.

NOTE: As you can now see by the latest posting here, that some of the news was not accurate. JJ Abrams may not even direct, he only has the option to direct. Whatever!

[ 04-28-2006, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Dave Williams ]

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2006 11:02 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Jennifer Garner will be the captain? [Wink]

Overall, Alias was enjoyable, it had its good and bad moments in its first four seasons (I didn't see any episodes of season five ... and have never seen an episode of Lost or Felicity). In a few weeks we'll see how his transition to feature film director goes.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-23-2006 12:48 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It'll suck.

Some Star Trek fans are already dubbing it Star Trek: 90120 or Star Trek: The Wonder Years.

It's Captain Kirk in "coming of age" Star Fleet Academy days. It's building on characters where many already have preconceived notions on how the characters should be. Fundamentally, it's a re-hash. Nothing completely new.

I think Paramount would be better off spending their $100 million or so developing a NEW science fiction story that isn't even Star Trek related. Hollywood used to mainly make movies from new ideas instead of remakes, sequels, TV sends ups and all that other regurged shit.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 04-23-2006 06:34 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My roommate "lovingly" refers to it as "Star Trek Babies". The only appeal it will have will be IMPRESSIONS of already overly parodied characters. How can it take itself seriously? It can't. If something good comes out of it, it will truly be a credit to everyone involved. Good luck to 'em.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2006 01:09 AM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it may have nothing to do with Kirk after all...

from the official Star Trek web site

quote: Startrek.com
In his first comments to the press regarding his deal to produce an 11th Star Trek film (related story), J.J. Abrams says the news that was broken last week by Daily Variety was premature and somewhat erroneous.
"The whole thing was reported entirely without our cooperation," Abrams is quoted by Empire Online yesterday. "People learned that I was producing a Star Trek film, that I had an option to direct it, they hear rumors of what the thing was going to be and ran with a story that is not entirely accurate."

In addition to clarifying that he may or may not direct the film, Abrams also distanced himself from Variety's report that the plot of "Star Trek XI" would revolve around a young James T. Kirk and Spock at Starfleet Academy.

"We've made a pact not to discuss any specifics," he said.

At the same time, though, he confessed to being a fan of the Original Series and remarked, "Those characters are so spectacular. I just think that... you know, they could live again."

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2007 08:05 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So now it's official. J.J. Abrams is in fact directing the next Star Trek movie, simply titled STAR TREK, and it will in all likelihood tell the tale of Kirk's first mission aboard the Enterprise. It's being released on 12/25/08.

The rumored casting includes Matt Damon as Kirk, Adrien Brody as Spock, and Gary Sinise as McCoy, with LOST's Daniel Dae Kim as Sulu and THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND's James McAvoy as Scottie (although he denies it).

What do you guys think of all this? Personally, I can't wait. Taking it out of Rick Berman's hands is a pretty great idea, and giving it to Abrams is an even better one. These dudes made the best movie of last year, and it wouldn't surprise me if this was the best movie next year.

As for the casting, going with talent of this calibre is cool, because it ensures that the performances won't be parodies. Mark Altman, the writer of FREE ENTERPRISE, suggested that Leonardo DiCaprio should be Kirk. I like that idea quite a bit, but I think Damon would be good too. Actually, anyone from THE DEPARTED is okay. If neither of them work out, they should give it to Nicholson.

I read somewhere that Roberto Orci, one of the writers, considers the Star Trek novels to be canon. That's crazy. But someone with that level of respect is what the franchise needs.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-10-2007 08:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, is Abrams producing the movie (as indicated in the first few posts) or directing it, as in the most recent post?

I'd think if he were directing it, people would have more to be concerned about, while if he's just producing, might not be so serious.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2007 09:00 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's both producing and directing. And whether or not you liked M:I:III, keep in mind that he is an Emmy-winning director.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-10-2007 10:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The casting is confirmed:

James T. Kirk - George Clooney
Mr. Spock - Eddie Murphy
Dr. McCoy - Jack Nicholson
Mr. Sulu - Jackie Chan
Lt. Uhura - Queen Latifah
Mr. Scott - Forest Whitaker
Mr. Chekov - Hilary Swank

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-10-2007 11:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I would eagerly await this movie assuming Joe's casting list doesn't fall through!

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2007 10:51 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harve Bennett recently revealed that when he was planning a Starfleet Academy story for STAR TREK VI back in 1991, his dream cast included Ethan Hawke as Kirk and John Cusack as Spock! God bless Nicholas Meyer for knocking some sense back into the franchise.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2007 12:02 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Mr. Spock - Eddie Murphy
Dr. McCoy - Jack Nicholson
Mr. Sulu - Jackie Chan
Lt. Uhura - Queen Latifah

[thumbsup]

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2007 12:09 AM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not have Eddie Murphy play Spock, Kirk, and Uhura? Arsenio Hall can play McCoy. [Cool]

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2007 01:42 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MTV is reporting that the film will be shot by Dan Mindel (M:I:III, DOMINO)! It just keeps getting better and better!

quote: Mike Pennell
Why not have Eddie Murphy play Spock, Kirk, and Uhura?
As an interesting side note, the studio wanted Eddie Murphy to be in STAR TREK IV.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-12-2007 12:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Murphy could play the "latter day" Spock in a fat suit.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: