Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Starting as a Bouncer Tuesday....Advice? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Starting as a Bouncer Tuesday....Advice?
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2006 07:31 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've done it...I'm starting a job as a bouncer on Tuesday at the prestigious Dallas Bull

Just was wondering if anyone had any advice on anything about a job like this.

Thanks

Richard

|  IP: Logged

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2006 08:05 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dress up like the Naked Cowboy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_Cowboy
with lots of Hans and Franz muscle padding!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_and_Franz

And don't forget the spiked brass knuckles and body trim!

Oh shit...I can imagine Phil starting to get excited! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-21-2006 11:46 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Knock somebody out right away.

If you're going to work the door you need to get the reputation as a badass. People will try to fuck with you if you don't.

Coldcock some poor bastard on your first day on the job and everybody will think, in the back of their minds, "I'd better not try anything with him. He's a crazy MOFO!"

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 05-22-2006 03:36 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a feeling you'll let any girl in. [Razz]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-22-2006 04:59 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, I sorta agree with Randy...

Dress up like Ted Nugent and pay some $$$ to a 6'8"/280-pound football-player friend of yours to start a ruckus on the busiest night.

Then stage and get in a shouting match with him and tell him he has to leave.

Then escalate the yapping argument up to a staged, but believable, altercation between yous two.

Then do a "pulled", fake coldcock on him on the 1st punch! You know, movie-style fighting...

After you throw him out on his sorry ass, you will either:
1) Gain the respect of all the patrons...even those that were not there! Rumor will spread like wildfire!
or
2) Have EVERY wanna-be tough guy challenging to kick your ass and fight! [Smile]

Seriously, congratulations and good luck!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-22-2006 08:18 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After you knock him out (be it real or staged) march right up to the bar, grab a beer, chug it down, slam the empty on the bar and say:

"Dammitt!! I didn't WANT to do it but I HAD to do it! He MADE me do it!"

Hopefully, that will prevent some of the assholes from trying to start shit with you just to see if they can get you to fight.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-22-2006 08:24 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Richard,

Don't just punch someone out. Depending on the circumstance, you could actually get arrested for assault and battery and/or sued. Chances are slim of that happening, but they are still there.

You are far better off learning the same techniques police officers use to subdue suspects without causing them much harm. Something as simple as bending back a thumb or wrist can actually be more effective than punching someone in the face.

One of my friends is an assistant manager of a country dance club here in Lawton, and manages the bouncer crew. Usually when a fight breaks out they rush both fighters with group of bouncers and simply carry them out.

There are occaisions where using fists or worse is necessary. The bouncer manager I know was stabbed in the arm by one fellow who refused to leave. The manager responded by beating the guy bad enough to put him in the hospital. Justifiable self defense.

Any night club worth a damn also needs armed security guards or police officers making frequent patrols. The Lawton Police Department has all their officers equipped with model X/M-26 Taser guns. It can give an angry drunk a 50,000 watt ride for 5 seconds. The department started using them last February and had more than 100 incidents requiring their use in 2005 and have passed 40 incident so far this year. Most of those incidents have occured in bar parking lots.

There is a civilian version of the Taser that operates on lower voltages but with ride times as long as 5 minutes. That long time can allow a civilian to leave as assailant behind and escape to get help. Taser Intl also makes a much more powerful model for use on large angry animals. That model can be lethal if used on people. This past weekend in Seattle that model's use along with the combination of tranquilizer darts wound up killing a black bear animal control workers were trying to capture.

In short, when dealing with drunk guys who want to fight -don't use their tactics. Bouncers have more professional alternatives.

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2006 08:55 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a bouncer myself, the best advice that I can give you is to watch what you say. Drunk people don't always know that you're just trying to crack a joke or be sarcastic. I've seen other bouncers get clocked because of that.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2006 10:25 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next time someone starts a fight, run up to them, give them a big hug, kiss and JOINT, hold their hand and exclaim aut loud "WHY CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?!". Then proceed to make the whole group sit in a peace circle and lead them in a rousing chouous of "KUMBAYA"! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2006 11:08 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Appreciate all the help guys, hehe. This is a country place and I had been a patron for a few years there. I've seen multiple fights and the "rush" from the bouncers is popular. I've been hitting the gym HARD for the past 3 months and have dropped 30 pounds and become MUCH bigger and have gaind LOTS more confidence than I ever had.

I know it is important to be the "cool" guy there. By cool, I mean having a cool head, but a strong arm as necessary. I'm not going to have a problem with the music as I like country, and I think I'm going to start out as more of the silent type. Friendly, but silent you know?

I start tomorrow at the door and I'm looking forward to the learning experience.

Also, the head bouncer, the guy who interviewed me, one of the first things out of his mouth was, "You WILL get more poon here than you ever imagined", so that'll be fun.

Jen, I'll let you in only if you sweet talk me [Big Grin]

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2006 01:37 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have found your true calling. [evil]

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2006 01:56 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
looks like their page needs a good proofreading.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2006 02:42 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least they try and use upper caps. [Wink]

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 05-23-2006 02:48 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, I don't even want to be that state let alone go into whatever that place is. [puke]

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2006 09:58 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Greco
Also, the head bouncer, the guy who interviewed me, one of the first things out of his mouth was, "You WILL get more poon here than you ever imagined", so that'll be fun.
And the real truth behind why he wanted to do this job comes out alas. [Wink]

quote: Jennifer Pan
Dude, I don't even want to be that state let alone go into whatever that place is
Sounds like a wise move Jen. Althiough Florida itself has alot of neat places to visit.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: