Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Starting Projection Job on Thursday (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Starting Projection Job on Thursday
Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2006 01:24 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to let yall know I'm starting a new job on Wednesday or Thursday(depeding on when the prints arrive). I'm going to be working projection at a local 8-plex. I believe they are alpha platters and some simplex heads. I'll let you know more when I start. First time working at a big house...have only worked in a one screen building. Hopefully, I won't be a booth usher...urgh.

Cody

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-22-2006 03:01 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! [thumbsup] [beer]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-22-2006 04:46 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Cody!

quote: Cody Martin
First time working at a big house...
Whenever someone says "the big house", it always reminds me of my time serving at San Quentin.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2006 05:42 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent! I did about nine months with Marcus Theatres as a "booth/usher". Just make sure to demonstrate to everyone involved that you can competently work with their equipment & hopefully they'll be open enough to give you the time you deserve in the booth.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 05-22-2006 09:37 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first theatre (and booth responsibility) was a local 8-plex as well, with Simplex heads, in fact. Great memories. It was perfect. Eight was a nice number of auditoriums. Start times were nicely staggered about one every 15 minutes, giving plenty of time for maintenance and cleaning. Trailer maintenance and lamp hour reports and Dolby tones and exciter lamp assemblies ... ah, those were the days!

Congratulations. Hope you love it! [thumbsup]

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2006 10:47 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Cody. I hope you will enjoy working in the projection booth. [Big Grin]

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2006 11:53 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's almost been three weeks at the local 8-plex now and it's time for an update.

During the first week I learned mainly the concession stuff(which is pretty simple) and venue POS software. I also learned they needed a manager so I'm in training for that. At then end of the first week I built up one print with guidance from an elder. Unfortunately this place builds sound down...big change for me, and hopefully I'll be able to talk them into switching sometime.

2nd week I spent more time learnign the manager stuff. I ran projectors most of my shifts. I believe I'm up to 104 successful starts and 1 brain wrap(drive wheel not engaged, caught it soon enough to freehand the platter and not cause friction marks).

This past week I learned cash control and more of the booth. I cleaned one day so that I could find everything I needed(cue tape, splicing tape, leader...etc). On Wednesday I helped set up the 8 screen interlock and ran it while everyone decided to step out. Few problems there, but were solved by manually slowing the motor of one down.

June 8th built up 3 prints of cars and tore two down. My times are going up, but I'm not going for records, but quality. I'm loving every minute of the booth. I don't mind the concession stand or box, but I'd rather be in the cement box.

All projectors are XL's on BIG Sky consoles 2000w for all indoor and 7000(I believe) for drive in. 2 Dolby Digital Houses rest are analog. I believe the platters are POTTS.

Have fun,
Cody

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-09-2006 03:19 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(dunno, if this was bad to begin like this, or not..but here goes..) I started out in the booth...and here I am .. still in the booth..but now as company engineer ...

But, learned all about the business as I went along - learning janitor, maintenance, management, floor staff..doing marquee..technical services..et.al.

From carbon arcs, to xenon, to big reel (both 6k changeovers machines, to 13k 4x Cine towers, to 13k V-18 setups) to platters (sorry, no ELF systems..), of practically all makes and types....

Now, would love to learn IMAX, DigCinema..et.al. (bummer, never got the chance to do 5/70..)

..just never started from the floor up..just started in this technicial field from the beginning...where I wanted to go.

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-10-2006 09:24 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Cody Martin
Unfortunately this place builds sound down...big change for me, and hopefully I'll be able to talk them into switching sometime.

Actually there may be somne advantages to that like less focus drift..... I ahve several customers that do it sound down.. they always have and yes there is less focus droft thorugh out a feature.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-10-2006 01:58 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked in a 4plex that we wound sound down as well ...and always wonder why some other places wound sound up ...

Only reason, I thought of, with the sound down winds is that the film is being wound on the ring the same as a takeup reel is winding film - emulsion inside. Thus, making up with the platter (using LP-270's) was the traditional "S" wind - just had to flip the film to sound up on the final wind for breakdown.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-10-2006 08:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I ahve several customers that do it sound down.. they always have and yes there is less focus droft thorugh out a feature.
Horseshit. Maybe there is some focus drift due to the optics heating up, but not from the winding orientation. This all goes back to that damned SMPTE document a few decades ago that studied acetate base prints on REEL TO REEL systems (not platters with their larger hub to outer wrap ratio). [Roll Eyes]

Running soundtrack down puts the emulsion side of the film against the abrasive aspects of a malfunctioning platter or misthread. Besides, with polyester film it exaggerates the curl and actually creates minor focus problems.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2006 08:53 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having run a Kelmar film cleaner with Film-guard for many years I can say with certainty that the film is always dirtier on the platter side.

Run soundtrack up. [thumbsup]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-11-2006 03:48 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I always run the optical soundtrack toward the operator's side...

Diane Linton
Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2006 10:22 AM      Profile for Diane Linton   Email Diane Linton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! I started out(where I am right now) with ten theaters, and it does get a little stressful because there isen't alot of time for fixing technical glitches and such. But I love it.
We run with the sound up.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-11-2006 10:46 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Phil on this one...always towards the operator!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: