Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Europe: Thoughts and Suggestions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Europe: Thoughts and Suggestions
Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2006 11:40 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In late June I am going to Europe. I'll be there for about a month. I arrive in London, and depart from Krakow. I'm in the process of planning where I'll go between those two events.

So, my question for those of you that live there, or have lived/visited there, any advice or suggestions? I'll be spending a lot of that time in Eastern Europe, but would appreciate any thoughts & ideas about the entire continent, from super specific (a particular pub or cinema to visit), to very general.

Oh, it might help to add 2 points:
  • I'll be alone (for the most part)
  • I've never been outside of North America
Of particular interest, thoughts on Eurail v. flying and hotel v. hostel.

|  IP: Logged

Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2006 12:09 AM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Britrail passes are highly recommended for England; fare structure since privatization is said to be a nightmare. Best guidebooks for me were the Michelin Green guides, and the red Michelin for accommodation and meals helped stay in budget (your local library may have some). Best advice would be to select a hub city/cities that you can spend some time in and do other sightseeing in- and out of. There are national rail passes for foreign visitors that must be booked before you leave; google search "rail pass (Country)". They also are bargains compared to domestic fares if you can spend time in one country.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2006 12:22 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on what you enjoy, one can spend weeks in London and still not see everything! If you enjoy history and world-class museums...thenLondon is the place to be! If you love antique shopping...such as REAL antique furniture, silver, etc, then Oxford is the place to go. Aviation enthusiasts MUST see Duxford, and Didcot is excellent for Railfans!

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2006 12:58 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read that Eastern Europe tends to be cheaper, so if you have a budget you may want to stay there most of the time. Although planning out the trip in advance might take away some of the spontanaeity, you might want to look into places where you can take an overnight train ride, therefore saving on 1 nights hotel/hostel costs. Check out www.bootsnall.com for some good travel advice, and www.lonelyplanet.com as well, both of their sites have forums for Europe. Also Rick Steves site has some good info as well.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-25-2006 01:06 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on what your priorities are. Train travel is a great way to see the countryside up close. Flying can be faster, though not always and it's also a hassle these days. Expenses might be a push - check on Eurorail passes and see how far a pass will get you, both in terms of cost and distance.

Hostels can be a lot of fun and quite inexpensive in exchange for some loss of privacy and perhaps the ultimate bit of comfort. But once in a while nothing beats staying in a nice hotel.

How's your language ability? Speaking even just a little of the local lingo helps tremendously with overcoming potential issues like the "Ugly American" stereotype. Pick up a tourist phrase book or two and have at it.

Sounds like you've planned a fun itinerary. Gads how I miss being able to travel overseas.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-25-2006 03:50 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The shrub huggers will doubtless mieow and hiss at me for saying this, but, echoing what Ron said, rail travel in the UK is unreliable and horrendously overpriced unless you book restricted tickets a long time in advance. For example, a walk-on fare from London to York (185 miles) will cost you the equivalent of around $150. Partly in response to this, there is now a well developed network of regional airports linked by low cost carriers. Examples include Ryanair, Easyjet, FlyBe and BMI Baby, which offer a range of UK domestic and European flights. Air Southwest also offers a great service from the south west to Manchester and Leeds, though it can be pricey if you want to fly at peak times.

If you can make it out of London, the National Film and Photography Museum in Bradford is well worth a visit - they show Cinerama on the first Saturday of each month. Am in a rush now but will add any more suggestions as and when I think of them.

As for Europe in late June, the soccer World Cup is taking place in Germany around then, which promises to be a major event.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2006 09:21 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kick your Coke habit. Most places in Europe will overcharge you for things Americans take for granted. I'm only using Coke as an example. Drink Wine in France and Italy. Drink Beer in England and Germany. It will be cheaper. Find out what the locals are eating and eat that.

Pack your bag and carry it around your home town for a day. Then try to pack half as much. You can survive all summer in Europe with three changes of cloths and one pair of shoes. Also they have everything we have so you can take nothing at all and still find everything.

ATM is the way to get cash. Credit cards work well. Take $1,000 in Travelers checks for emergency back up, but don't spend it.

Be adventurous in your eating. Spleen Sandwich in Italy was a revelation for me.

Talk to people like you're Forest Gump. He was totally uninhibited and so you should be. Remember no matter where you go, there you are.

Since you are a member of Film-Tech, visit every cinema you can and take pictures. "Hi, I'm from Film-Tech, I have come to check out your theatre."

And unfortunately, Discount Air Carriers are much cheaper than rail, except in Eastern Europe.

Dan Zastrow
Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2006 03:06 PM      Profile for Dan Zastrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Zastrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian is right on-don't carry tons of cash just use ATMs. I don't even bother with the traveler’s checks. I'm on my way to Prague in 4 days. Will stay there for a week, head to Krakow for awhile and then to Vienna. My two most favorite central European cities are hands down Budapest and Prague. Both have great/cheap beer, fantastic art & architecture the people are friendly. [beer] Do watch out for pick pockets on the trains. [Mad]

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2006 03:49 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most intercity UK rail journeys have discounted quota-restricted APEX (advance purchase) tickets, with full price tickets costing many times that. The budget airlines also have cheaper tickets available in advance. www.seat61.com gives details of Europe wide travel by train and sea.

Watch out for the low cost airlines (especially Ryanair) flying into airports many miles (and occasionally in a different country) from the advertised city.

Credit cards are accepted throughout most of Europe (Visa and Mastercard, American Express is less widely accepted).

Book your accommodation in advance, many hostels are full during the summer (especially at weekends).

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2006 11:09 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the comments thus far. [thumbsup]

==-=-==

quote: Paul Mayer
How's your language ability?
I assume that's rhetorical, but...

As a matter of fact, language is one of the main reasons that I'm going. I've studied a few languages (six besides English) to varying degrees of comprehension, but aside from about an hour in Tijuana when I was 18, I haven't spent any time in any non-English speaking countries.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2006 01:08 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Through the western Europe countries, the language barrier shouldn't be a problem, in Germany, Italy and Netherlands alot of the people spoke english or well enough to get by. Since they want your dollars or euros I'm sure they know enough to get by.

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2006 02:38 AM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make also sure you drop by in Austria ;-)

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-26-2006 05:02 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Schaffer can probably recommend some good brothels!
[Razz] [Big Grin]

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2006 06:43 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ian Price
Kick your Coke habit. Most places in Europe will overcharge you for things Americans take for granted. I'm only using Coke as an example. Drink Wine in France and Italy. Drink Beer in England and Germany. It will be cheaper
Can second that- just spent a week in Belgium and the beer (in bars) was cheaper than the soft drinks. (note- in German supermarkets the beer is located with the soft drinks)

-----

Currency will be fun as there are multiple currencies used within Europe (althought the Euro has made life easier within Western Europe). Changing small amounts is expensive, as is withdrawing small amounts from cash machines (check which US bank charges the least for machine withdrawals and open an account with them). If you visit Scotland the banks print their own notes which have limited acceptance outside Scotland.

quote: Mike Heenan
you might want to look into places where you can take an overnight train ride, therefore saving on 1 nights hotel/hostel costs
Overnight traveling by rail or sea is fun, (some of the larger overnight ferries try to create a cruise-like atmosphere onboard)
if you can afford it try to get a cabin with a bed (rather than an airline style seat) so you are more awake the next day.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-08-2006 12:18 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ian Price
Drink Beer in England and Germany. It will be cheaper.
I sure wish (good) beer was as cheap in England as it is in Germany! I'm writing this from a hotel room on Hardenbergstraße, Berlin, having just bought a 50cl bottle of Berliner Pilsner from a stall on the street outside for 1.20 euros (about 1.30 dollars). For the equivalent quality and quantity of beer in England, you'd pay £2.50 ($4) in a supermarket or £4 ($6) in a bar.

No, I'm not here for the footy - meeting with the company which is building some telecine gear for us. Can't wait till we have it delivered.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: