Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 3-D Making A Return According To Popular Science (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 3-D Making A Return According To Popular Science
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2006 02:51 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading an article today in Popular Science that was detailing two California companies that have come up with two different processes to be able to turn old films into 3-D. It said that James Cameron and George Lucas were just two of many more directors who are ecstatic about the new technology. Several have vowed to never make another film in 2-D again. Stars Wars Ep.I is due for re-release in 3-D next year. Hey, go figure. George has found yet another way to re-release his old films to make more money. [Roll Eyes]

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-30-2006 03:01 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if that means that they vow to never shoot using one camera (eye) again, or if they vow to convert everything they shoot with one camera into 3D using one of these digital fakery methods.

Paul J. Neuhaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2006 03:55 PM      Profile for Paul J. Neuhaus   Email Paul J. Neuhaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is just a another way for George to vow to never make another movie again!!
[Wink]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-30-2006 07:11 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no interest in looking at something that was previously 2D in 3D. There is no way they could do an awesome job with it.

Regardless, I LOVE taking real 3D pictures that require red and blue glasses. Below is a crappy JPEG version of a 3D picture of Red Rocks that I took that I really like (full size version is 1680x1050, no compression). Left eye is red, as always.

-

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-30-2006 07:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
George to vow to never make another movie again!!
We should be so lucky.

I heard he was developing a special "4-D" process. That's where part of the picture is behind you. Of course it's only there when you're not looking. [Roll Eyes]

(NOTE: I've been reading a Dilbert book today so my sarcasm meter is on overload.)

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2006 07:19 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey!! I actually installed a 4D system!!

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2006 11:22 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Several have vowed to never make another film in 2-D again."

I know one of them is James Cameron. He is currently working on a 3-D film with a projected 2007 release. I wonder how many screens will carry it across the country?

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2006 12:53 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3-D has been a passion of mine since an elderly neighbor gave me an old Stereo Realist camera and viewer set. Lately, I've gotten into polarized projection of my slides, and am totally hooked. My Realist is my most used camera now.

I hope more (true) 3-D movies will be made. It would seem simpler, cheaper and more effective to have two cameras shooting together than spending hours fiddling on a computer to create a pseudo-effect.

Having said that, I was impressed with the effect of the vintage Titanic pictures in the Cameron IMAX (video) film that were presumably turned into 3-D. The old photos showed a solidity I did not expect from a faked stereo image. Please correct me if they were actual stereo images taken during construction--but you MUST also tell me where I can find copies of them!

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2006 02:06 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While Popular Science is nothing more than an electronics industry boasting rag, to me, I think 3D could be the extra spice needed to make the inadequate/unoriginal stories Hollywood has resigned itself to creating seem just enticing enough to watch. [thumbsup]

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 05-31-2006 05:14 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, that picture's pretty cool. I happen to have a red/blue pair of glasses by my computer. They came with my copy of Chessmaster 10th Edition, in which you can fully experience the 3D real-time boards in stereoscopic vision. The trouble is, and I'm probably not alone here, the red/blue format isn't good for my eyes. I wear them for 10 seconds and my eyes are biased with that afterimage discoloration for 10 MINUTES or more.

I think they should fully develop a system that converts movies into 3D, without the use of glasses to view it. Just turn each frame into a MagicEye image, where you have to "relax" your eyes to see "past" the image! Those people who never could see those things would just see STATIC. They deserve it.

But seriously, has that technique, so far as anyone knows, ever been applied to animation?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-31-2006 06:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Scott
3D could be the extra spice needed to make the inadequate/unoriginal stories Hollywood has resigned itself to creating seem just enticing enough to watch.
For a couple of weeks, anyway. Then people would be griping that there are no good 3-D movies.

The bottom line will always be, if a movie is GOOD, it doesn't matter what you watch it on. I can get enthralled by a GOOD movie watching it on our crappy 13" bedroom TV with the sound turned way down and the subtitles on so it doesn't disturb my sleeping wife.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2006 11:05 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link that the article cites. The article is titled "The Return of 3-D"

I would encourage anyone interested to pick up a copy of the Popular Science June 2006 issue and read the article. It describes both processes in detail.

[ 06-02-2006, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: Joshua Waaland ]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-02-2006 01:42 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check you link, Joshua... one too many "p"s in there!

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2006 08:14 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the MagicEye technique would work in motion. It takes the brain awhile to fight through the static and make sense of the image. I don't think it would work with 24 different pictures a second.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2006 09:03 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Check you link, Joshua... one too many "p"s in there!
Sorry. Fixed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: