Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Net Neutrality: Save the Internet (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Net Neutrality: Save the Internet
Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 06-08-2006 08:51 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just found this out today, and whatever is going on with the internet is kind of scary for the little internet people out there. I'm also sorry if this goes against talking about politics.

From savetheinternet.com

quote:
Congress is pushing a law that would abandon the Internet's First Amendment -- a principle called Network Neutrality that prevents companies like AT&T, Verizon and Comcast from deciding which Web sites work best for you -- based on what site pays them the most. If the public doesn't speak up now, our elected officials will cave to a multi-million dollar lobbying campaign.
quote:
The SavetheInternet.com Coalition is a real grassroots alliance of organizations, citizens, businesses and bloggers that have banded together to protect Internet freedom.

The Coalition believes that the Internet is a crucial engine for economic growth and free speech. We are working together to urge Congress to preserve Network Neutrality, the First Amendment for the Internet that ensures that the Internet remains open to innovation and progress.

http://www.savetheinternet.com/

|  IP: Logged

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2006 11:50 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard about this but I doubt an online petition or protest is going to effect much. I also doubt if the law is passed, that it would be found to be a violation of free speech protections. Hopefully this will sound more economical than political but let the free market work. The law gets passed, these companies start blocking content, customers get angry and will take their business to a competing company who will not block content. Protesting with your wallet is much more effective.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-09-2006 12:20 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is what all the telecommunications companies are trying to do goes very much against the free market. With all the corporate consolidation that has happened, you won't have any alternative once the fat cats do start blocking content (or at least putting up nasty toll booths in front of content). Your only choice will be to do without.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-09-2006 04:17 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Major users of the internet, such as E-Bay have been sending out e-mails alerting to contact their Congress represenatives.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2006 04:52 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't much out there on the internet that gets me excited. If the internet went away tomorrow, I could still survive no different than I did back in 1995.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-10-2006 03:10 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is many millions of people conduct business across the Internet. It isn't just an entertainment device for home users.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-10-2006 05:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's for sure. My day job would feel like the stone age if we had to go netless. (Faxing orders in....yeesh!)

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2006 06:04 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Link to the actual bill.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-10-2006 06:25 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to pass a law that outlaws the "legalese" language and requires that lawmakers and lawyers write in English!

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2006 06:33 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2006 07:02 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
The problem is many millions of people conduct business across the Internet. It isn't just an entertainment device for home users.

Yeah I know. In fact I've actually lost the opportunity to teach some great classes at the college where I'm employed simply because I didn't check my e-mail fast enough and they went to somebody else.

However, I'm very turned off by people who rely too much on the internet for their day-to-day living or business transactions. I still believe the best way to conduct business is still through a handshake and recognizable voice - not a cc mail. I think in the future we may find partnerships last longer if things were done in stone age style vs cyber age arrangement.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-10-2006 08:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
But if we didn't have legaleze, then there would be no reason to pay attorneys such insane amounts of $$$!

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2006 08:38 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Political comment removed. Read the rules.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-10-2006 10:01 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Mehocic
I still believe the best way to conduct business is still through a handshake and recognizable voice - not a cc mail. I think in the future we may find partnerships last longer if things were done in stone age style vs cyber age arrangement.
Most businesses still meet face to face with customers for important meetings and such.

However, if we got rid of the Internet and went back to the "stone age" it would literally spark an economic recession at the very least. The Internet helps make businesses a lot more efficent. You get more stuff done faster.

The sign company where I work sends sketches, contracts and other stuff via e-mail when possible, usually in Acrobat PDF. Some of this stuff runs back and forth and back again repeatedly as details get revised. With snail mail -even the FedEX variety- you're adding days (not to mention a substantial amount of cost) to getting issues handled. Faxes can be sent fairly quick. But they suck (low resolution, black and white, etc.).

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-10-2006 11:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But if we didn't have legaleze, then there would be no reason to pay attorneys such insane amounts of $$$!
Well shit. I want lawyers to have as much money as possible.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: