Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » ...how much do you usually pay the Xenon lamp guy ?

Author Topic: ...how much do you usually pay the Xenon lamp guy ?
Don E. Nelson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2006 03:50 PM      Profile for Don E. Nelson   Email Don E. Nelson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our new Xenon lamp reflector cleaning guy came by today to clean and polish our big Triple IMAX Lamp Reflector and I was wondering, what's the going rate for this kind of film projection work? It took him almost 3 hours.
Do I have to tip him?
 -

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-09-2006 04:11 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and he's not wearing body armour? Interesting PhotoShop there...

-Monte

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-09-2006 04:23 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would inspect the reflector closely for any scratches. No way would I let a serviceguy climb inside my lamphouse with a squeegee!

May he get sucked up the stack!

BTW... just how many CFM do you need for that size of bulb???

[ 06-09-2006, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Jack Ondracek ]

Paul J. Neuhaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2006 12:22 AM      Profile for Paul J. Neuhaus   Email Paul J. Neuhaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this goes off subject but has that guy got a clue what kind of damage that bulb could do to him!!!!
What an idiot!!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-10-2006 12:32 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Interesting PhotoShop there...
There is no way Photoshop was used in that picture. Look at all of the scaling artifacts. To me it screams "Microsoft".

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-10-2006 01:47 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and being a glass mirror, wonder if he ever heard of "Bon-Ami" the scratchless cleaning powder, to really polish up that mirror... [Big Grin]

(either photoshop, or microsoft..still very good image trickery...: .. even though I do admit that it isn't the best... [Smile]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-10-2006 02:28 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I dunno... it had my youngest daughter going for awhile. I had to explain it to her twice before she figured it out.

That's gotta be about the biggest X-60 made!

Don E. Nelson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2006 04:42 PM      Profile for Don E. Nelson   Email Don E. Nelson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...blame Brad for the poor photo resolution and artyfacts (200k doesn't go as far these days as it used too). I downloaded the original photo(which looks really clean) in 60 seconds using my old Polaroid Land Camera with the add on digital back pack, which I got on eBay for $500 bucks.

Since I forgot to LOTO out the Xenon power supply, I gave the cleaning guy my usual tip: "...don't park near a fire hydrant".

For the un-technical, and inexpierenced people who have never been bit by a 20kv power supply (and all those people who still live in Rio Linda) LOTO means = Lock Out / Tag Out, or just ask John Pytack, he knows all the shocking the rules and regs. (just don't ask hiim how many times he's been shocked accidentally and/or on purpose).

[ 06-13-2006, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Don E. Nelson ]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-13-2006 09:22 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOTO = "Lock Out, Tag Out".

Yes, anyone who maintains or opens up energized equipment at Kodak (and most large companies) has to be familiar with LOTO procedures.

My last "zap" was last summer, when I was working on the very "mixed bag" of wiring of my daughter's 1888 home in Massachusetts (lots of crossed wires and "floating" grounds). One outlet was being served by two separate circuits! I forgot to run a final check of any power after I had locked out the one circuit breaker. Fortunately, I always try to avoid having a path to ground through my body, so the "tingle" was only on my arm.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: