Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 17 beers a day keep prostate cancer away (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 17 beers a day keep prostate cancer away
Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-13-2006 10:19 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been a while since we've had a beer thread around here. As for the research noted below, all I can say is, "I'll drink to that." [beer]

quote:
17 beers a day keep prostate cancer away
Theoretically, anyway, especially when taken with pizza with tomato sauce

PORTLAND, Ore. - For many men, a finding by Oregon researchers sounds too good to be true: An ingredient in beer seems to help prevent prostate cancer, at least in lab experiments.

The trouble is you'd theoretically have to drink about 17 beers a day for any potential benefit. And no one's advising that.

Researchers at Oregon State University say that the compound xanthohumol, found in hops, inhibits a protein in the cells along the surface of the prostate gland. The protein acts like a switch that turns on a variety cancers, including prostate cancer.
Story continues below ↓ advertisement

Dr. Richard N. Atkins, CEO of the National Prostate Cancer Coalition, said the experiments are encouraging and "perhaps men could take it in pill form someday."

He noted that lycopene, an ingredient in tomatoes, and thus also in tomato sauce, has previously been linked to prostate cancer prevention.

"It's every man's dream to hear that beer and pizza can prevent cancer," he said. "However, the 17 beers and four large pizzas needed to get enough xanthohumol and lycopene to help prevent prostate cancer is unfortunately not advised."

Atkins noted that drinking 17 beers a day can lead to alcoholism and cirrhosis of the liver, and overdoing it on pizza can lead to obesity and other health problems.

"Food, no matter how helpful it may be, is not a full preventive for prostate cancer," he said.

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-13-2006 11:04 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't we already know this from watching that Woody Allen movie, years ago? [Wink]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-13-2006 11:56 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought having sex or at least jerking off on a regular basis did a good job of preventing prostate cancer.
[Confused]

I do drink a pretty good amount of beer.

Got pretty smashed Friday night. Had 3 or 4 tall mugs of Shiner Bock. Then for some stupid reason I had just as tall a mug of Chimay. That much of that premium beer cost me $15 -and a hangover for much of Saturday. But, hey, if it did my prostate some good then there you go!
[thumbsup]

My liver probably hates my guts. But the feeling is mutual. That damned think keeps trying to jack up my cholesterol level no matter what I do. Maybe I just need to pickle that fucker.

Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2006 01:21 AM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prostate stimulation from the rear is also a good way to prevent prostate cancer, according to some studies.

But, of course, that method doesn't appeal to everyone.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2006 06:06 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[beer] X 17

As said above, I'll drink to that.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 06-14-2006 06:25 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
a mug of Chimay.
A fine, fine Belgian beverage! But, yeah, expensive.

I've never managed to make it past beer 14 in a single session, but if I were to try over the course of a whole day, I'm sure that 17 wouldn't pose much of a problem. Make it something thick and dark ... I've been into Sam Adams' Black Lager recently. Mmm ... tasty!

Oh, and here's the obligatory " [beer] ".

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2006 07:37 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad they don't mention what brand or style of beer has the greated concentration of that substance purported to promote prostate health. Even though one case of Bud, Miller, or Coors may have less of that magic compound than one bottle of a good IPA, Joe Sixpack will think he's getting some benefit from his boring, bland brew. It's the details that matter...

(Drinking a Stone Pale Ale as I write this. [beer] )

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-14-2006 10:59 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not too difficult to make it past 14 or even 17 beers in a single day in Oklahoma -provided you're drinking the weak-ass domestic stuff deliberately watered down to 3.2% strength. One might as well just drink water.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2006 06:25 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
deliberately watered down to 3.2%
Shouldn't that be against the law? hehe.

I was in Utah and walked out of a store with a six pack and the guy I was with said, "oh, you got 3 beers" And I paid more than what I pay for the non watered down stuff!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-15-2006 12:28 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get seriously turned off by the hypochondria industry. Almost everyday there seems to be a filler article in the paper about a new research study, which reveals that eating more or less of food A increases or reduces your risk of dying of disease B. If you took heed of all of them, it would be malnutrition that would eventually get you!

My favourite example of this was two different articles on the same page of the same newspaper: one reported a finding that a natural ingredient in grapefruits prevents leukaemia, while the other reported that another chemical found in grapefruits increases the risk of Alzheimer's Disease. Given that I'm addicted to grapefruits and typically eat 3-4 of them a day, I guess this means that I'm more likely to die of Alzheimer's than leukaemia.

What a cheerful thought!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-15-2006 12:59 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While all those surveys and such can be ridiculous, I feel lots of people use the ridiculous nature of some of those surveys as one means to justify doing bad things to themselves. It's kind of similar to the old saw of bringing up an anecdotal story to either prove one can live a long time doing unhealthy things or die early even if you're trying to live healthy.

For instance you have the one that goes, "my cousin's uncle knew a guy who knew some other guy that drank a fifth of Jack and smoked 3 packs of cigarettes every day and lived to be 112!"

And then you have the other one that goes, "I've got a friend who knew this guy who competed in Ironman triathalons, ran 5 miles every day, lifted weights, ate a strict vegetarian diet and dropped dead anyway at 45 from a massive heart attack."

There are people who live very long or very short lives regardless of what they do their bodies. But those folks are clearly in the minority. Someone who could smoke like a chimney stack and live to be 100 regardless of that habit would have lottery winning jackpot luck.

One's own genetics will have some influence on whether you get a certain kind of cancer, have high choleterol or die of a certain kind of disease or condition. But the way you live will have a huge effect on increasing or lowering those odds against you.

In the end, it's all a kind of gamble. I think odds are pretty high if I smoked three packs of cigarettes and drank a fifth of Jack Daniels everyday I probably wouldn't live to see age 50.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-15-2006 03:11 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
While all those surveys and such can be ridiculous, I feel lots of people use the ridiculous nature of some of those surveys as one means to justify doing bad things to themselves.
Which is surely another argument against taking them too seriously or publicising them much outside medical circles. Another one of these stories I read reported that when a study was done which suggested that circumcised men were less likely to transmit HIV, the health authorities in some African country took it to heart and encouraged as much of its male population as possible to have the snip. The result was that HIV infection rates quadrupled within a year, because an urban legend quickly became established that circumcised men could sleep with as many people as they liked without any risk.

As far as I can tell, the diet thing is a matter of basic common sense, not wacko theories or dodgy medicines. Make it roughly balanced, but if you've got a specific problem or issue (for example, I'm allergic to saturated dairy fat - eating anything with butter or cheese in it puts me at risk of anaphylactic shock, hence I eat all the grapefruits to make up the calcium deficiency caused by cutting dairy out of my diet), try and work round it.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-15-2006 04:38 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember a story about 3-4 years ago where an old English woman lived to be 114 years old. When asked what she attributed her health and longevity to, she replied, "I drink three pints of Guinness every day!"

[beer]

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2006 08:54 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a number of areas in America there is no longer enough water to go around, due to unchecked growth. Could this be the answer? Just drink beer instead. [Big Grin] [beer] [Big Grin]

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 09:57 AM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who gets paid for researching that?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: