Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Designing our own font... how?

Author Topic: Designing our own font... how?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-14-2006 08:14 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're setting up a new company, and I'm curious about what it would take to have a font created for us that we could copyright and use as part of our corporate branding. Does anyone (Bobby [Wink] )have any info on what that typically costs and where we would start if we wanted to do that?

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-14-2006 09:19 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you have the ability (and lots of time) to do it yourself, you could end up spending quite a lot of money in commissioning professional freelance type designers or a professional type foundry to do it.

Most companies, even many of the big ones, simply find a commercial font family they like (and perhaps one they don't see everyone else using like crazy) and just go with that.

Some of the cost in developing custom type will depend on the nature of the font(s) needed. Large newspapers and magazines tend to spend the most money commissioning unique type since they need complete type families, not just a single font. The Houston Chronicle and Wall Street Journal have spent big sums not just getting the type designed -but actualy revising the designs for factors like how ink spreads on a page.

Well over a decade of university research in Texas and Pennsylvania and hundreds of thousands of dollars in private funds went into refining "Clearview Highway" a new typeface now appearing on big green highway signs in a number of states. It is 20% more readable than the 50 year old FHWA Series Gothic ("Highway Gothic") fonts.

But not all type needs those kinds of extremes in development.

Often a corporation might slightly alter an already existing typeface for their use. Intel is using a modified version of NeoSans for their stuff. Merrill Lynch uses a slightly altered form of Aachen Bold in their logo.

In going the D.I.Y. route, you need good vector-based drawing programs and a good font editor. Most professional type designers these days use programs like Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW in conjunction with Font Lab Studio 5. It also helps if you can draw pretty well and have a good scanner.

There's lots of good books about creating your own type. Type Designer Leslie Carbarga (whose retro fonts like "Magneto" were used quite a lot in Pixar's "Cars" movie) has written a number of good books on making your own type. Books like the Logo, Font & Lettering Bible and Learn Font Lab Fast are really good. You can order his fonts, books and more from his website:
Flash Fonts

If you really want to get into the serious nuts and bolts of understanding typography, the most necessary book to read is Elements of Typographic Style by Robert Bringhurst.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-14-2006 12:21 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent info. That's a great help.

Thank you! [Smile]

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 06-14-2006 05:48 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks from me, too, Bobby! I downloaded the free demo of FontLab Studio and I think I'll have some fun playing around with it.

I'm also going to find me a copy of the Bringhurst book. I can't think of one of my friends who WON'T roll their eyes at me if I buy it in front of them, but it fascinates me. I really should go back to school in graphics and design work.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-17-2006 09:45 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto, Bobby! Noted here as well. Thanks!!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-18-2006 12:42 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome, guys. I forgot to mention one of the better websites regarding typography: Typophile. It's a really good forum for discussing some of the more nuts and bolts issues with using and designing your own type. A good number of professional type designers can be found talking type there.

There are other forums and websites that exist for typography. The Adobe user forums has a room on typography, but it doesn't get anywhere near the activity of Typophile. Typographica has some good articles once in awhile.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: