Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Passport fees (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Passport fees
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 05:01 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone had pages added their passports before? I just had some added and got a Visa at the same time. It was $365.00 bucks!!! The Visa was $170.00, I dont have as much of a problem with that part, but $195.00 for ten pieces of paper? I am paying for a little book that allows me to travel, but where does the money go? It just seems very high to me!

Rick

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-16-2006 05:14 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just renewed mine at a cost of £51 ($89). 'Where does the money go?' occurred to me, too. I was renewing an existing passport - which means that if you send in your old one, that bypasses all the ID checks and whatnot, thereby making the administration costs virtually zero, I'd have thought. So the only cost to them is printing the document and shipping it. My guess is that the research and development costs of the new biometric passports, which the UK is supposed to be rolling out over the next year (though, as with anything the UK government does which involves any new technology, don't hold your breath!) account for a lot of that money. But it still struck me as a ripoff.

Thankfully I've never had to get any visas - citizens of a European Union country don't need them to visit any other EU country, and the only non-EU country I visit regularly is the United States, which British citizens are eligible to enter under the Visa Waiver Scheme. From what I've heard from friends and relatives about visas (both the hassle of getting one and what it costs), I'd be reluctant to visit any country which required me to get one.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 05:42 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thought! The Visa was $170.00 dollars, does that go to the States or the country I am going to? I guess maybe I should research it on the net! There can't be a processing fee that high!!

Rick

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-16-2006 06:29 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, the visa would be nothing to do with your own country; It would be issued by the country you are visiting, and they would set the charge for it. Where are you going, by the way?

I've only had to get a Visa once; that was for Russia, in 1974. We, my mother and I, had to get them very quickly, but they were posted to us just a couple of days after we handed the forms in, in person. I don't rmember how much they cost, but I don't think it was very much.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 06:39 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen,
I am going to China. The other times I have been there, I wasn't involved with the Visas, so I have no Idea what the cost is. This was just surprising. The whole price was a shock to see when I picked up my passport from the travel agency. An unexpected cost, but now I know for the next trip [Roll Eyes]
Rick

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-16-2006 06:48 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Stephen said, the country you're going to. Their embassy or consulate within the US will actually issue the visa, though if you're getting it through a travel agent, the agent might charge an extra fee to cover the cost of doing the admin for you. I guess the Chinese feel that enough visitors are willing to pay their visa fee for them to be able to get away with charging it. Given that the US is China's biggest customer of exported goods, that isn't a very friendly gesture, though (assuming that the bulk of that $170 is going to the Chinese and not your travel agent).

Tim Rectanus
Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 07:30 PM      Profile for Tim Rectanus   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Rectanus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know anything about Working VISAs that you can't use at a register but I got a new passport today, as a matter of fact, and that $195 seems really high. I got a replacement for one that I lost and even with the Expedited 5-7 day fee included, it cost $127. Plus $30 for the post office to process.

I just had a quick look and came across this page. Additional Visa Pages
quote:
Application for Additional Visa Pages: DS-4085

This form should only be used to add visa pages to a previously issued, currently valid U.S. passport.

There is no charge for routine mail service, which is receipt of your passport with added pages within 6 weeks from the date you mail it. For Expedited Service via mail, there is a $60 fee per application, plus two-way overnight delivery for receipt within 2 weeks. For Expedited Service at a Regional Passport Agency, there is a $60.00 fee per application.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 07:51 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, most of the visa charges are a direct result of the U.S. raising their rates for our visas for other countries. In China's case it is just because they can. Plus they need revenue for their missions in L.A., S.F. and N.Y.C.

But thank your lucky stars you didn't tell them you wanted to go to Tibet, like I did. They don't issue individual visas for Tibet to Americans, but if you are with a tour, they will issue you a visa for $500 [Eek!] If you want to visit Tibet and enter from the China side your $170 visa will suffice. They are loath to tell you that Tibet is different in China.

Most countries where the U.S. has dropped their visa requirement also grant American's reciprocal visa rights like the E.U. Canada, Mexico.

Then there are countries like Butan who are trying to limit American Tourist impact and charge a blanket $200 per day to the right to visit. About 3,000 Americans pony it up every year.

My Indian visa cost $60 and was good for 90-days from the date of issue. So I had to make sure to get it late enough to cover the trip.

For Nepal it was just show up at the border with a photograph and $5 for a "transit" visa good for 5-days. If I wanted to stay longer I would have had to visit their offices in the U.S. or India.

That reminds me, I need to renew my passport before they get all biometric next year. Not that I mind, but it's the principal of the thing. They'll be asking you to pee in a cup to pass the boarder next. [Roll Eyes]

Belive it or not, it was all a lot simpler 100 years ago, just show up at the border and welcome to the new country.

1985 Berlin: Regan asks "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

20-years later George Bush is trying to build a triple wall between the U.S. and Mexico. [Roll Eyes]

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2006 01:05 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've read some books written by Richard Halliburton and Mark Twain, and it's fascinating to read about travel in the old days. Places like Iran and Iraq, Saudi Arabia in Halliburtons case. He got an audience with the King of Saudi Arabia pretty much just by showing up and asking.

As for visas, like everyone else said, they probably charge that much because they can.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-17-2006 11:45 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
China requires that your visa is filled in person at one of their three locations in the USA or appoint a recognized represenative to handle. I assume your are using a multi-entry visa so the charges are typical.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2006 11:52 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ian Price
1985 Berlin: Regan asks "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

20-years later George Bush is trying to build a triple wall between the U.S. and Mexico.

There is big differnce between keeping people out (the U.S.) and keeping people in in (the Soviet Union).

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2006 06:52 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if a Visa is too expensive, then get a Master Card. (Sorry I couldn't help it). [Big Grin]

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2006 02:38 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matt Fields
There is big differnce between keeping people out (the U.S.) and keeping people in in (the Soviet Union).
the berlin wall was not in the soviet union. it kept people out (of west berlin).

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2006 09:03 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Soviets were the occupying force at the time, who built the wall to keep people in who did not want to be there under communist rule. The East Germans were simply prisoners in there own country. West Germany did not build the wall.

There is a huge differnce between the US border situation and the Berlin Wall.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 06-18-2006 10:44 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matt Fields
There is a huge differnce between the US border situation and the Berlin Wall.
I see very little difference as it is simply the concept of building a wall that is odious (we ain't talking about Robert Frost's "Mending Wall" here). Reverse osmosis is still osmosis.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: