Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The company I work for is so cheap... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The company I work for is so cheap...
Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 05:59 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That they won't let us order the Mylars for the movies that we are showing... [bs]

In my case, it should be the company i used to work for, but I thought it was still on topic..

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-17-2006 04:50 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The company I work for is so cheap..."

The customers I provide service for spend more money for a hotel room then I make in a year.

Ciao

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-17-2006 10:11 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The company I work for is so cheap!

How cheap are they?

Well, let me tell you...

The company I work for is so cheap, I worked from 9:00 AM till 9:00 PM from Monday until the following Sunday. (7 days in a row.) On the next monday, I came to work sick. I was so tired I could barely keep my eyes open. My throat was sore and I was coming down with something.

At 11:30 AM I called my boss on the phone and asked him if I could go home at lunch time so I could go to bed and get some rest.

After a moments pause, he said "OK" but he told me to sign out for a half-day's sick pay!

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2006 06:57 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The company I work for is sooooooo cheep; oh wait, I work for myself. [Eek!]

One company I worked for in the past was so cheep, one day I came in to work early, and they charged me rent. [Big Grin]

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2006 03:29 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
A company I once worked for was so cheap...

They issued a memo on "resurrecting" hot dogs that had not been sold within a 24 hour period (reffered to as "yesterdogs"). The three step process involved soaking dried out franks in Cool-Aid, to plump them back up and add a "healthy" color.

Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2006 03:38 AM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The company a close friend of mine used to work for was so cheap...

... Nobody but the GM was allowed to use the fire extinguishers, even in an emergency. If anyone but the GM used one, regardless of the circumstances, they were written up on the spot.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-18-2006 07:12 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bruce Hansen
One company I worked for in the past was so cheep, one day I came in to work early, and they charged me rent.

Geez, I do that all the time... and stay late... I better watch out they don't try the same thing.... Next they'll be charging me parking fees to park the company van in their lot!

Mark

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2006 11:41 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, if there wasn't an actual emergency and a fire extinguisher was discharged because someone was screwing off, then yes, they should be written up. If there was an actual fire and someone used a fire extinguisher and got written up for it....call your state's department of labor. They'd LOVE to hear about that. Maybe get the local fire marshal involved to.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2006 12:45 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dustin Mitchell
Robert, if there wasn't an actual emergency and a fire extinguisher was discharged because someone was screwing off, then yes, they should be written up. If there was an actual fire and someone used a fire extinguisher and got written up for it....call your state's department of labor. They'd LOVE to hear about that. Maybe get the local fire marshal involved to.
I couldn't agree more. I'd also ad that the cost of recharging the extinguisher should be docked from the employee's check.

On the flip side of that, if the GM did infact state such a policy the Labor and Fire authorities should be notified of this, and said GM should be fired. Any delay in handling an emergency could put lives at risk.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-18-2006 02:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea..you can tell when you work for a cheap company when they have a points program and give you points to spend with from merits that you work for to earn, that you have to spend the points within the company.

Plus, if there is any "change" involved after any purchase is made. ..That is just too bad. No change or credit given back - you lose.

And if you quit, or get fired, you lose as well since all of those points are taken away since since there is no monetary value given out for the points earned, but still have the option in using the accumulated points within a given time - within the company.

And, if you use the points outside of the company, they call it stealing since the dollar value of the points didn't go back into the company and you get repremanded for such actions.

...just a kid's game this is...

-Monte

Robert Harrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2006 03:29 PM      Profile for Robert Harrison   Email Robert Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
L M B

[ 03-11-2007, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Robert Harrison ]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2006 03:39 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert Harrison
From time to time, we show Philipino language movies. I'm not supposed to know this, but I have seen the contracts. The people who rent the theatre for these movies are charged a $20 an hour "projectionist fee" on top of the rental fee. I have never received a penny of this money.
Are you getting a paycheck? If you don't like it, quit and find something better to do. Does the theater ask you to take a paycut when times are slow? Should all of the concession help ask for an increase in pay when the popcorn prices are raised? Why do you deserve extra when your workload has not changed? You can bitch all you like, but it's a fact of life.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-18-2006 04:12 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh Rick, what a hard-ass! You're beginning to sound like Adam! [Wink] [Big Grin]

Or worse, ME! HA! [beer] [Razz]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2006 04:42 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just try to tell it like it is! [beer]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-18-2006 04:48 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, me too! [Smile] [beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: