Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The "new" projectionist (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The "new" projectionist
Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 06:25 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another member and myself have a website where past employees and current ones can post and meet and talk about stuff, much like Film-tech forums. Anyway a ex employee who is now working at another theater posted this and we have had a discussion on it. I would like some of the leading people in the industry to post on this, what do you think.

quote:
So, those of you who know me should be well aware by now that I'm somewhat of an arrogant prick. And what else would an arrogant prick do besides rub in everyone's faces how much better his job is compared to everyone elses.

I've just recently been promoted to projection (or "Prodge," as we cleverly call it) at the DELETED

Let me just walk you through my typical day at work.
I show up in my uniform (which consists on khakis and a maroon polo shirt), punch in, and then I usually waste about 15 minutes on the clock bullshitting at the concession stand with the other employees. Once I've had enough chatter, I walk to the elevator and take it to the projection booth. I check my proj. schedule and go start the movies that need starting. And then I usually sit at the projectionist desk and read a book, or listen to Guns N' Roses until the next movie starts. There's always atleast a 15 minute lull inbetween every film, which is more than enough time for me to smoke atleast 2 cigarettes down at the loading dock. The theatre is a three-floor theatre. Box office on the first. Theatres 1-7 on the second floor and 8-12 on the third. So that means we have 2 projection booths. We have a small perk for us projectionists on the third floor projection booth. Satellite TV. So if I get bored of reading or run out of cigarettes, you can typically find me on 3M watching That 70's Show or reruns of MacGuyver. You want to know what the kicker of this whole gig is? I get paid more to do less. Paradox? I think so. Am I complaining? Certainly not.

I just thought y'all should know about my fortune and glory.

After some back and forth between some of us, he came back and said this,

quote:
What they pay us for is to make sure there is no error before the movies start. We make sure that everything is perfect before that green light goes on and the film begins to roll. We make sure that there is no need to patrol the projection booth like an anal retentive bastard. We get it right the first time. This is the way it has been run since the place has opened, and that's the way it'll continue to run until the day the theater closes it's doors forever.
I would just like some opinions on this, if you wouldn't mind. Thank you in advance, if you would like to know more of what he said, let me know and I will repost it.

[ 06-16-2006, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-16-2006 07:00 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be worse. At least he's professional enough to go the loading bay when he wants to smoke, rather than puff away in the booth...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-16-2006 07:36 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like he received his training from Carmike!

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 08:46 AM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the jobs just not for him,

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-16-2006 11:02 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the mental image of a brain wrap happening on one of the third floor projectors. Meanwhile, the "prodge" is out on the loading dock puffing away on cigarettes...oblivious.

Anyway, that fellow should enjoy his job while he still has it.

Video projection is going to eliminate a lot of the tasks that require dedicated projectionists in some theaters. No more film prints to build up, tear down, move from one platter to another, etc. The design on some of these systems is such that the movies, trailers, commercials, scheduling will all be downloaded via satellite. It's possible for these systems to run with little if any manual intervention at all. You'll still need at least one or two people on the property to take care of any emergencies in case they occur, but its likely the staffers doing that will be managers. The "prodge" will probably get the boot.

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 11:45 AM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
The design on some of these systems is such that the movies, trailers, commercials, scheduling will all be downloaded via satellite.
quote:
We have a small perk for us projectionists on the third floor projection booth. Satellite TV.
He probably thinks he will still have his job because in the Prodge booth he has Satellite TV [Big Grin]

I say print out his comments he made on the board and forward them to his new employer so they know how much he loves his job!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-16-2006 11:52 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since he doesn't mention anything like maintaince, I assume he's just a threader, not a projectionist. He probably thinks he's doing a better job than he actually is (".. It doesn't matter about being in frame; that's what this knob is for!") I also bet his pay rate is low. I agree with Bobby: enjoy it for the short time you'll have it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-16-2006 12:42 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kurt - you might want to change your thread title to something less vague, lest the moderators come down on your head.

As for the "prodge" - I agree, print out those comments and mail them to his supervisor. He's not an asset to the industry. (Just an "ass.")

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 01:06 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the heads up Mike.

This kid when he worked for us was a 3rd class projectionist, and hes no better now.

This is what he had to say after we voiced our opinion on the matter

quote:
Well... this is what I have to say in my defense:

The theatre is NOT the old deleted. Everything in the booth is completely self-automated.

They DO NOT:
-Randomly brainwrap
-Fall out of focus
-Chew film
-Electrocute the help

They are designed to not be babysat. If something is wrong, it won't allow itself to start; if something goes wrong during mid-play... it shuts itself off. And even if I was dealing with the same projectors from the Caddy 5 (which I am not), there is only one projectionist on staff per shift. It'd be really hard to have one man babysit 12 projectors separated by 2 floors. Even if one of them did start to malfuction, there'd be no telling which one it would be until after I was notified that something was wrong. If we had three projectionists on staff for each shift (one to start all the movies, and two to act as patrolman for each floor) there's still no guarantee that they could catch a malfunction before it started to damage a print. It's a crap shoot, really.

What they pay us for is to make sure there is no error before the movies start. We make sure that everything is perfect before that green light goes on and the film begins to roll. We make sure that there is no need to patrol the projection booth like an anal retentive bastard. We get it right the first time. This is the way it has been run since the place has opened, and that's the way it'll continue to run until the day the theatre closes it's doors forever.

Believe it or not, I actually posed this question while I was being trained and Kurtis and I were having a cigarette after starting a movie.

"Kurtis, don't we need to stay in the projection booth?" I asked him, looking up at him with curious, blue eyes.

"Why?" he replied.

"Well, you know... in case something goes wrong?"

"Did it start okay?" he questioned me.

"Yeah."

"Well, then it'll end okay. That's the way the machines are designed." he stated with sheer confidence.

He takes a long drag off of his cigarette.

"But..." I inquire.

He interjects. "I've been doing this for 15 years. This is how it works here. We're not paid to be nannys. Enjoy your cigarette. It's part of your job now." he says with a smirk.

I smile with a big, toothy grin and I slowly fall into Kurtis' arms and get lost in his sparking green eyes.

[ 06-16-2006, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 01:20 PM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's all well and good until a splice breaks or a roller stops rolling. All modern equipment is "designed" to not be babysat. That doesn't mean it will end fine if it starts fine.

The one nice thing about Regal is the 4-step disciplinary process. It makes it so much easier to get thread monkeys like this out the door and ineligible for rehire.

It never ceases to amaze me how much work I am able to find to do in the booth when others are oblivious. I don't have to spend my shifts fixing brain wraps or getting pictures back on the screen for angry customers but I am still constantly busy. There's always something to clean, lubricate, adjust, tweak, tighten, fix, etc, etc, etc. As equipment gets older, it will require more looking after. Kinda hard to do that when you're glued to the TV or filling your lungs with tar out on the dock.

Tommie Evans
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 01:40 PM      Profile for Tommie Evans   Email Tommie Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
there is only one projectionist on staff per shift. It'd be really hard to have one man babysit 12 projectors separated by 2 floors. Even if one of them did start to malfuction, there'd be no telling which one it would be until after I was notified that something was wrong.
Yeah! And when (not if) you run a film off a roller there'd be no telling which one it would be until after you were notified by customers on the next run! [Roll Eyes] [evil] [Eek!]

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 05:05 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is Regal's 4-step disciplinary process?

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 05:10 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I smile with a big, toothy grin and I slowly fall into Kurtis' arms and get lost in his sparking green eyes."

WTF?

"As the Platter Turns"? The new soap opera on cable?

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 05:52 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dennis Benjamin
"I smile with a big, toothy grin and I slowly fall into Kurtis' arms and get lost in his sparking green eyes."

WTF?

Please tell me this is a female we are talking about... [Big Grin]

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2006 06:12 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No this is a Man...well a boy I guess, not sure his sexual prefrence is his and his alone. I was saying WTF as well, he thinks hes a writer so I guess he feels when he is telling people of a conversation he has to add stuff like that, whatever.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: