Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Is Superman Gay? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Is Superman Gay?
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-22-2006 06:07 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
JFC! God help us! Is Clark Kent leading a "secret" double-life... in the closet? Is he gay? Or, Jewish? Or is he Jesus? All of the above? Was Jesus a gay Jewish guy and circumcised? How Metrosexual!

From ABC News.

quote:
'How Gay Is Superman?'

Or Jewish. Or Christ-Like. The Battle to Claim Superman as an Icon

By JAKE TAPPER
June 19, 2006 — - He's clearly into fitness, and splashy summer colors.

The new film about the Man of Steel, "Superman Returns" -- which comes out, er, on June 28 -- is being advertised on Logo, the gay and lesbian cable TV channel. Now, the gay magazine, The Advocate, is asking "How Gay Is Superman?"

The Advocate is not claiming that Superman is gay. It's making a larger point -- that like many gays and lesbians, Superman has a secret life. In the closet or phone booth, as the case may be, Superman has another identity that he doesn't share with anyone.

Nonetheless, Warner Bros. executives -- perhaps afraid questions about the Man of Steel's sexual orientation may marginalize the film -- have pushed back on The Advocate's query and the Internet buzz it has created.

The film's director, Bryan Singer, who is gay, insisted to Reuters that Superman "is probably the most heterosexual character in any movie I've ever made." Whatever that means.

It's an unusual time for superheroes and outing.

DC Comics, which publishes "Superman," recently revealed that Batwoman would become a lesbian socialite and crime fighter by night. Over at rival Marvel Comics, one story line has superheroes required by law to reveal their identities -- outing themselves, as it were -- which Spider-Man, also known as Peter Parker, has just done.

Questions about Superman's real identity had been raised long before he became a gay icon.

In the Quentin Tarantino film "Kill Bill: Vol. 2," the character Bill shares his view on what Clark Kent -- Superman's other half -- says about humanity.

"An essential characteristic of the superhero mythology is, there's the superhero, and there's the alter ego," Bill says. "Batman is actually Bruce Wayne. Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When he wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic that Superman stands alone. Superman did not become Superman -- Superman was born Superman."

Bill adds, "When Superman wakes up in the morning, he's Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red 'S' -- that's the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears -- the glasses, the business suit -- that's the costume. That's the costume Superman wears to blend in with us. Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent? He's weak. He's unsure of himself. He's a coward. Clark Kent is Superman's critique on the whole human race."

Still, others view Superman in other iconic ways.

Created by Jewish cartoonists Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, the bespectacled newspaper reporter has long been considered by Jews as one of the chosen people. He comes to Earth as an intergalactic Moses -- as a baby in a solo vessel.

His name on his home planet Krypton, Kal-El, resembles the Hebrew words for "voice of God."

In the 1980 film, "Superman 2," a woman who has witnessed Superman save a young child says, "What a nice man! Of course he's Jewish."

Born in 1938, Superman fought the Nazis long before the U.S. military did. In a 1940 Superman comic in LOOK Magazine, for instance, Superman snags Adolph Hitler and threatens to "land a strictly non-Aryan sock" on Hitler's jaw.

According to the German Propaganda Archive at Calvin College in Michigan, soon thereafter, the weekly newspaper of the SS -- Das Schwarze Korps -- responded to Superman taking on Der Fuhrer. The article slammed Siegel as "intellectually and physically circumcised," said Superman was "lacking all strategic sense and tactical ability," and accused the costumed hero of sowing "hate, suspicion, evil, laziness, and criminality" in the "young hearts" of American children.

Yet, truth be told, Superman in the comics has always been vaguely Methodist, recently marrying Lois Lane in a church.

Some see Superman, though, as not only Christian -- but Christ-like.

In the trailer for "Superman Returns," Superman's father, Jor-El, says, "Even though you're being raised as a human being, you are not one of them. They can be a great people, Kal-El. They wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason, above all -- their capacity for growth -- I have sent them you: my only son."

A 2002 issue of the Journal of Religion and Film alleges 20 Superman-Jesus parallels.

"Both Superman and Jesus had earthly family ties. Both had heavenly origins. Both heroes were raised incognito on Earth. Both were of 'royal' blood, both righted wrongs, both acted as [saviors], both displayed incredible powers, and both performed miracles," the author wrote.

A new book, "The Gospel According to the World's Greatest Superhero," elaborates on the argument that Jesus and Superman are one and the same.

Of course, it should surprise no one that various groups are tangling over whether Superman is one of their own -- while no one claims, say, Superman's arch nemesis, Lex Luthor.

Copyright © 2006 ABC News Internet Ventures

|  IP: Logged

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 06:33 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So be it, Phil. [Wink] [thumbsup]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-22-2006 06:44 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the non-sexual and non-religious explanation of Superman from "Bill," the character David Carridine played in Kill Bill.

His explanation (for those who have not seen Kill Bill: Vol. 2): Human superheroes have their regular real-life identities. Spiderman is really just Peter Parker. Batman is really only Bruce Wayne. Superman is really Superman. Clark Kent is the character or persona he assumes to fit in with us, and the Kent character is his judgment on what he thinks of us. That seems more a lot more profound than those press folks gossipping on which church Superman may attend (if he attends any) or whether he prefers snails or oysters.

I find it more than ridiculous how the press, and now the comic book industry, is sexualizing make believe characters in fictional stories written for CHILDREN. It's really not appropriate. Why does DC comics need to make "Batgirl" a lesbian? What the hell is that about? Why do they need to write anything at all about that fictional superwoman's bedroom antics, regardless of the orientation? Why sexualize something like that?

The Advocate should just go back to debating whether celebrities like Tom Cruise is gay. And DC Comics needs to rethink their Batgirl marketing strategy. Who do they want to buy these comic books? 8 year old kids or grown adult comic book geeks?

I think all the sexual stuff (and graphic violence) in comic books needs to be left to the adult-oriented graphic novels like Sin City and magazines like Heavy Metal.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 06:57 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes] [sleep]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-22-2006 07:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
[sleep] [sleep] [sleep]

Who really cares? Besides, Superman is stupid anyway. [Moon]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-22-2006 07:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, I refuse to read your post because it required that I scroll my web browser.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-22-2006 07:31 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...me thinks Mike and Brad have something to "hide"? [Wink] [Razz] [evil]

Joe, OK I deserve that since long posts are one of my "pet peeves"! Hahahahahahaha [beer]

Perhaps Daryl can use his magical condensing machine?

Tommie Evans
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 08:35 PM      Profile for Tommie Evans   Email Tommie Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Proof that Superman is not gay?

Superman was flying over the city after a eventful day saving people from disaster, rescuing cats out of trees etc, etc. Suddenly he looks down and sees Wonder Woman sun bathing naked on one of the taller buildings. Hmmm, he thinks - I'm Superman, i'm faster than a speeding bullet. I can fly down there, give her one and fly off and she wouldn't know what happened!
So he makes his move and is off again in the blink of an eye.
Wonder Woman opens here eyes and says. . .

'What the F@"K was that....'

'I don't know, but my ass hurts' says the Invisible Man!!! [Eek!]

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 08:46 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NAh, I just think it's really lame to spend more than 2 seconds of thought or debate whether.... whoops I'm just guilty of that myself! Lol.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-22-2006 10:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tommie, you're saying Superman is a rapist?

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 06-22-2006 10:12 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd still want to tap him even if he's faster than a speeding bullet. [sex]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-22-2006 10:47 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the very least, Superman has a very bad sense of fashion. I mean, who exactly wears their underwear on the outside of their pants?
[Confused]

Adding boots and a cape doesn't help things much either? Actually it does look kind of fruity.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 06-22-2006 11:13 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean pantie hose. [Big Grin]

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2006 12:12 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never thought of Superman as gay. Batman, maybe. But not Superman. He's always seemed like sort of the poster boy for Conservative America.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-23-2006 12:22 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Go to www.youtube.com and search for "Ambiguously Gay Duo". Those are superhero videos worth watching!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: