Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Shuttle is go for launch! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Shuttle is go for launch!
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-04-2006 01:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its on both C-Span and NASA TV. If this launch doesn't go right it could very well be the last time a shuttle launch is attempted... Keep your fingers crossed!

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2006 01:50 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it went well

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-04-2006 02:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was awsome! The camera view from the external tank was amazing.

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2006 02:44 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard on the radio today they had some problems with a piece
of isolation that had fallen off from the shuttle. Did they manage
to fix that, or are they taking a chance?

Thomas

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-04-2006 07:02 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw man, I was hoping for no more shuttle launches! Hopefully this will be the last one. The shuttle is obsolete and severely outdated. Get your ass to Mars!

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-04-2006 07:20 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of those NASA cameras are HD (except the ones mounted on the ET). HD Net carried it live, and then replayed it about six times from different angles. It was awesome to see. [thumbsup]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-04-2006 07:31 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't they have a digital shuttle now?

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-04-2006 07:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Its been digital from day one... with the last upgrades its a more modern digital now.

Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-04-2006 08:24 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
YAWN... WTF cares about ANOTHER shuttle launch? How B-O-R-I-N-G...both this thread and the shuttle launch!

NASA NEEDS to move into the 21st Century like Joe alluded to!

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2006 11:38 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone make a list of the historical breakthru's that NASA has provided over the last 20 years? All that sticks out to me is sucking BILLIONS of dollars out of economy and having, what, four shuttles blow up?

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2006 11:53 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jason Black
Can anyone make a list of the historical breakthru's that NASA has provided over the last 20 years
It made a fan out of me, thus last time I went thru Huntsville Alabama, I spent amost $100 in their gift shop [Smile]

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2006 11:55 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ben Affleck was the bomb in Armageddon! [Wink]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2006 12:34 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I lived in St. augustine, I saw a couple of night launches. Very cool! I could see them from my back yard. If I didn't know what it was, it would freak me out though. We were a few hours away, but we were in the flight path.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2006 01:08 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they aren't just going up there and playing cards all day. Actually, alot has come from that. Various medical advancements, from findoing out how the body works in space, it sheds some light on how it works here. Crystals, semiconductors, or both. If we hadn't gone to space, we wouldn't have IC (computer chips), or at least not ones as finite and complex as the modern computers have. The hydrogen fuel cell was created for the gemini, and apollo programs, though I do find it kinda odd that it still hasn't been commecrialized, oil company conpiracy? Don't know. New plastics, new metals, or I should say, honeycombed carbon, and fiberous. But MOST of what we got from the space program wasn't singular inventions, but more like BASF. "We don't make the product you buy, we make it better." The number of refinments to existing technoligies is vast.
However, I also agree that the shuttle fleet is aging and needs to be replaced with new and hopefully more reliable ships. The current ones need to be fixed untill the new ones come out, but don't delay the new ones just because the old ones work. And yes, NASA, take us to mars! We wen't to the moon in the 60's, and haven't gone anywhere new since. America, the world, needs a new frontier. Send some regular lunar missions too. I'd love to see a Saturn V, or it's more modern equvalent launch. That'd be so awesome, I heard its like nothing else, makes the shuttles seem like bottle rockets. I saw Apollo 13 when it was in theatres, and own the collectors DVD now, I remember feeling the awe and power, my hair stood on end and I could barely stay seated.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2006 02:02 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and remember... The Temperpedic bed was developed by NASA scientist!!

If I was ever offered to go up on a space mission, knowning that I had a 50/50 chance of not making it back to earth alive, I would take it in a heartbeat.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: