Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Working out/exercise/diets/ etc. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Working out/exercise/diets/ etc.
Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 07-04-2006 07:45 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who have been working out/exercising/gone on diets... what kind of approaches, styles, methods, etc. do you take?

What has worked and what has not worked for you?
The types of foods, meals, etc?

Progress reports on how you are doing are welcome as well.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2006 09:14 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on what you are trying to do.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-04-2006 10:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
And try to refrain from using the term "big". Some people consider that making their muscles big, others view it as just overall getting big...ala sumo wrestlers! [Razz]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2006 10:27 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to get big then do lots and lots of MAXES, Brad and Dwayne's favorite!

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2006 10:31 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taking 200 people to their seats and running up and down the projection box steps at least 5 times a session seems to work.

But I'm no authority; I've always been too thin.

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2006 10:40 PM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found that for me, working in a theater was the worst thing for me... an unlimited supply of coke, and changing hours.

I eliminated high sugar drinks like soda and sweet tea, and try to get to the gym 3 times a week after work (I have a job with regular hours now). At the gym, 20 minutes of cardio, and about 30 minutes using the machines (1 day legs, another day back and arms, another abs). It works for me and my lifestyle. So far, I have been doing this for about 3 months and managed to drop about 15 pounds. I feel better and sleep better too.

I know there may be a lot of other things that I could also do to get better results but it is what works for me.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2006 12:24 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, stress, visiting third world countries and working my ass off! hehe Oh, and my hops and barley diet helps

Seriously, i fluctuate between 180 and 200 pounds. Typically I only eat 1 meal a day. Last month I was too stressed about some things and had no appetite, I only ate 1 small meal in a week.

As for excercising, I do 12 ounce curls daily.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-05-2006 12:32 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lifting an ounce 12 times hardly qualifies as exercise.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2006 12:37 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, they are 12 oz each time. But wait, every time I do a curl and take a drink, the weight is reduced, shit I need to tell the bartender to keep my glass full. No wonder my arms arent getting bigger.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 07-05-2006 12:47 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, that's awesome! You crack me up. [beer]

Chris, what's good way to get firm but not big? I want to refrain from eating canned chicken. [Big Grin]

My friend and I want to come up with a pill that gives you six pack abs in seconds. Our test dummie is our workout/psycho queen friend, she might even pay us to try out the experimental pills. [Big Grin]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-05-2006 01:07 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jennifer Pan
what's good way to get firm but not big?
Weight resistance training. From what I understand... moderate weight, high reps. That will make you strong. It's difficult to get big (muscles), particularly for women. So unless you're really hammering away at the weights and taking anabolic supplements, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

To build size, of course, pile on the weights and lift til failure. [Wink]

Re: canned chicken. That sounds like a good idea! I've never bought it before, though. Is it ready to eat, like tuna is? Right now, I'm getting the little packages of Star Kist that's marinated in a garlic and herb sauce. Ummm UM! Just tear it open and it's ready to go. I'm putting it on a salad once or twice a day, eating beef jerky, fruit (which I never did before), and just generally cut down on eating. But I would like to have a little more variety and the chicken sounds like it might be a plan.

My problem during the week, though, is I have to keep stuff that I can fix on the go.. in my truck. I don't have a microwave or anything to cook with. Everything I eat during the week is either from the cooler or something that's dry / packaged.

Best single thing I've done for my health: kill the sugar and sodium. Used to go through 5 or 6 liters of Diet Mt.Dew a week and was so sluggish. Too much sodium and caffiene. Completely eliminated the sodas in favor of sparkling water.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2006 01:23 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim has the right idea. You cannot get huge without a) eating an extremely high calorie perday diet and b) without taking growth hormones/steroids. All those pro female bodybuilders are jacked up on testosterone/juice. They take the hormones and then once they get below a certain percentage of body fat their body starts boosting it like crazy.

To quote Dwayne Caldwell "abs are all about lifestyle" 1000 situps a day will not give you a 6 pack without the proper diet and being well hydrayted. In fact, most lean people that don't have visible abs don't have them because of water storage, not fat storage. Point is, drink water, at least half a gallon per day.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-05-2006 10:20 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Losing some weight by switching to diet pop, and walking more during the summer months. Gardening/swimming help too. Lost about 8 pounds since Christmas.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-05-2006 11:27 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weigh yourself EVERY DAY when you get up, and before you go to bed.

Turn the AC off. Fans are ok though.

Drink only water. And lots of it.

Eat whatever you want (except junk food), but only eat until you aren't hungry any more. Don't eat until you're full.

Try to get at least SOME exercise at least a few times a week. I have asthma, so I can't do much, but what I could do is go outside and run a lap around my parking lot. Then wait a half an hour and do it again. I built myself up so that I was able to run about two or three times as far after a couple of weeks.

I lost about 20 lbs in a few months.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-05-2006 12:11 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not overweight, but wouldn't mind losing a few pounds around the waist. I gave up sugary sodas years ago, so the diet stuff does not bother me at all. Still, I drink too much beer. The upside is the sugars in beer (what your body makes of the alcohol) is more natural and easier to burn than the high fructose corn syrup shittty filth they put into sodas and so many other sweetened foods.

However, I am fighting another battle: my liver's infuriating tendency to make way the hell too much cholesterol.
[Mad]

You can be thin and still drop dead from a massive heart attack due to clogged arteries -and even do so at a fairly young age. I am not going to be one of those folks.

I would prefer not to have to take statins (Lipitor, etc.) for the ridiculously high cost and for the way they stress the liver. So I'm having to resort to other measures. Taking on a vegetarian diet is a last resort, but I have been greatly limiting the amount of meat I eat along with cutting as much junk food out of the diet. Many makers of potato chips claim their stuff has no trans fat or cholesterol in it, but the shit certainly has something that inspires my liver to squirt out cholesterol like it's the Play-Doh Fun Factory!
[Mad]

Exercise plays a big part. I jog 3-5 miles at least twice a week and also bicycle around 100 miles per week on the jogging track and bike paths at Elmer Thomas Park. I also get in a few miles of bicycling by way of commuting to work.

I donate platelets once or twice a month at the Oklahoma Blood Institute. Free cholesterol screenings are one of the bonuses they have for participating. The frequent checks are part of what allows me to figure out what foods are freaking out my liver. Potato chips are bad. Pretzels are the only thing of that sort I eat these days.

For some folks it's not very difficult to keep one's total cholesterol below 180-200 and LDL (bad cholesterol) below 100. For others you have to constantly battle and/or take drugs to do it. A friend of mine who is several years younger flipped out when she got her cholesterol reading: 275 total. She switched to a vegetarian diet cut 100 points off that in about a year. I just don't want to have to do that. Soy isn't exactly a convincing substitute for meat! But you gotta do what you gotta do.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: