Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Lawn Mower Sets Land Speed Record (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Lawn Mower Sets Land Speed Record
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-09-2006 05:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A slightly souped up riding lawn mower today set a land speed record at Bonneville Salt Flats of 80.28 mph. Not a larger than stock engine either. It has just a slightly souped up stock Briggs and Stratton. Those guys at the Briggs factory will sure be revelin about that over coffee tommrrow.

Some folks just have way too much time on their hands!

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-09-2006 06:05 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I call that fulfulling a challenge and having tons of fun while doing it.

When you think of it, you take of that governor off those Briggs and Stratton motors, and get a well balanced flywheel on the shaft so get the vibrations down to where it's wont destroy the motor-let along doing some crankshaft balancing, one can have a pretty nasty little motor there..

..prob was an OHV version motor..

-Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-10-2006 01:01 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What was the quality of the cut at that speed?

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2006 03:03 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok, so it's the land speed record for riding lawn mowers.

not impressed.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2006 04:53 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Bonneville Salt Flats
There isn't any grass! I bet they lightened it up by taking the cutting blade off.!

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2006 09:40 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a Cub Cadet riding mower with the B&S Vanguard 2 cylinder OHV motor that will do a good 25 mph along the roadway here. Id hate to see how hard it is to steer a riding mower at 80 mph. Its bad enough at 25!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-10-2006 05:35 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't a lawnmower if it doesn't have all of the lawnmower parts on it, blade included. It didn't set the land speed record since I've been faster than that in my car. Also it should be measured while cutting grass.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-10-2006 07:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
It didn't set the land speed record since I've been faster than that in my car
Joe,

They have different catagories for different types of vehicles. You would have to race against the Ferarri's and Masarati's. your "Tiny Tot" car wouldn't fare too well against those cars.

quote:
Id hate to see how hard it is to steer a riding mower at 80 mph. Its bad enough at 25!

There's not much stearing to do. Its a 40 mile long straight away! You have to do a run down and a run back in order to be recorded at all.

Brad,
The news announcer said he didn't miss a blade of grass... I bet he gets his own lawn done in no time at all!

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-10-2006 07:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A "land speed record" is just that. The fastest movement EVER on land. That lawnmower didn't even come close. And your thread title said it set the land speed record, which it did not. The lawnmower speed record maybe... but only if it had a functioning blade and other lawnmower parts, otherwise it didn't even set that record.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-10-2006 11:33 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2006 11:57 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a mower is going to have a speed record, it should include MOWING. Otherwise, it's just a go-cart.

Now if I could only afford one of those Dixie Chopper mowers that can mow over 8 acres per hour!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-11-2006 12:03 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, explain.

Also, can't we get a 5-character minimum for posts, that way people don't waste everyone else's time posting nothing but smilies? Surely UBB is powerful enough. **Waits for flood of members posting nothing but smilies, thinking it is god-damned hilarious**

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2006 12:22 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2006 01:49 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, kinda. Looks like you got more than what you were waiting for. It is, after all, at least 5 chars. At least, because it depends on whether or not the smileys are one char each, or if you're counting the individual chars that make up the smiley. [Big Grin] Anyhow, on to seriousness. I agree, it isn't a lawnmower unless it mows lawns. Like calling Nascar, stock car racing. Nothing on them cars is stock. I can't go to my neighborhood ford dealor and buy a Nascar racecar.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-11-2006 02:13 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Mike, explain.
Well, in the rules it says:
quote: "The FAQ"
Smilies are keyboard characters used to convey an emotion, such as a smile or a frown.
I had originally typed "Oh, shut up." as a response to the pointless side-argument but I didn't think that was very nice, so I decided to wordlessly express my boredom with it. Holy crap, if you want to pick on a thread title, go ridicule "Splode from cute."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: