Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » State of California says: turn off AC on hot days (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: State of California says: turn off AC on hot days
Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2006 12:35 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every summer here in CA, there are fucking public service "ALERTS" on radio and TV saying "turn off your AC and your computers and everything else, or else we'll have blackouts again!" or some crap to that effect. The official bullshit site is HERE

This is so pathetic, why can't they just build more damn power plants. They're probably too busy saving whales...
This "save energy" crap is as bad as being told to carpool or take the bus with the homeless people! We pay for our damn power, and I'll run the AC at full blast with my doors and windows open if i want to! [fu]

Do any of you in other states have your governor telling you to turn off your AC on hot days? [Mad]

I guess I better turn the fader down to 5 and turn my lamps down a bit so we won't go dark tonight. [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-23-2006 12:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
California can't possibly produce enough energy or drinkable water to supply all the Americans there, let alone the illegal immigrants, so they have to suck it out of other states. I think you should conserve if you can.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2006 01:07 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the risk of walking dangerously along the no politics line, I'll leave it at this. You should move to a more sensible state.

Crank up the A/C, the D/C and whatever CCs Dave will spare. You shouldn't be guilted into having a river of sweat running down your ass crack just because your state is too stupid to do what needs to be done. We have the privilege as a civilized nation to have controlled temperatures in our residences.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2006 02:03 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On occasion they've done something similar here in AZ, usually "turn up your AC 2 degrees" or something to that effect. Usually most people laugh that off since it's like 110 degrees outside.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-23-2006 02:41 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He He your California alert is what we are normally doing in South Florida.....of course easy to swallow based on the 40% increase in electric bills, due to "fuel" surcharge, in the past year [Roll Eyes]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-23-2006 03:29 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the same here and in fact all new meters are time based smart meters so you get different rates baased on the total system demand at the time

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-23-2006 04:04 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weren't they supposed to reduce the voltage there in summer to reduce the KWH? Line voltage in L.A. is almost 130; could easily work OK at 112. Save you money, too. Louis

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-23-2006 05:02 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid, I remember my dad explaining to me that electricity was sold with break points. They more wattage you used, the less it cost per watt, thus encouraging you to use MORE, not less. Boy have times changed. Based on this premise, GE used to tout the All-electric Home which was heated by electricity, that being much less common back then.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-23-2006 05:24 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I live in one of those homes ( built 1963 ) with the "All electric" plaque above the doorbell [Razz] The kilowatt power price is making our backup generator cost efficient in regards to fuel....if you do not factor the generator purchase cost......but being without power for 28 days during last hurricane season, just have to bite the bullet [Cool] Hovering between 112-119 VAC in Miami and the AC at 79 degree farhenheit.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-23-2006 09:18 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nuclear will make a big comeback when brownouts prevent large numbers of customers from running their A/C and computers and home theaters.

Remember: It's pronounced NEW-cue-ler. [beer]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-23-2006 09:28 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ironic thing here is that the HVAC system in our computer room at work seems to be very sensitive to undervoltage. If the electric utility were to lower the voltage coming into our building, it probably would shut down the unit (raising the room temperature to upwards of 100 degrees and risking fire and equipment failure).

If they're going to lower the voltage, I would strongly prefer that they lower it to zero volts, so at least there is less risk of equipment damage.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-23-2006 09:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Lyons
Do any of you in other states have your governor telling you to turn off your AC on hot days?
Nope, we're at 120 volts solid. In the Desert Mountain States we have about 50% Evaporative coolers and 50% air conditioning. So the power is not sucked down so badly. Evaporative coolers for the most part are alot nicer than air conditioning is... your house does not become so dry.... the evap. cooler puts moisture into your surroundings making living more comfortable. I don't think I'd want a central air system in any home I live in. It has been 105 here the last week or so and my house stays at a cool 82 degrees. My electric bill averages about 34.00 a month since I am just running a 1/3 hp motor for the cooler itelf. We have it nice here in Bountiful City since we are the only city in Utah that has its own power company. We also have much cheaper rates than does the rest of the state that is getting Utah Power. Our power in town comes from Glen Canyon dam...the rest of the kilowatts generated there go to Las Vegas and Ca.
Hey Dan.... you don't HAVE to live in CA... but you choose to. I say if you don't like it then go elsewhere... if you want to stay there then do something about it instead of complaining. Start convincing the environmentalists that Neucs are ok to build [thumbsup] .

Mark

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2006 09:36 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your power-sucking lightbulbs in your house will last longer at 112V!

I just turned on the AC for the first time . The mountains of NC are nice this year. Only 3 really hot days so far this summer.

Our local Electric burns coal. They have a zillion dollar scrubber on the exhaust. My electric will go double what it is now next month.

A Swamp Cooler system does really well out west. Most homes here have Freon refrigeration.

All I do if they start whining about conserving is go and check the air filters on the AC. If they are dirty, replace em. So many people dont even realize they have a filter. Seen enough theatres with filthy HVAC units.

I might even turn off my 1000 watt hallway night light! [Wink]

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2006 01:52 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
Remember: It's pronounced NEW-cue-ler.
"Shows your ignorance" "Say it with me. Crap-o-la"

And 82 Deg.? I wouldn't be feeling very well. Driving in my car w/o AC, puts me down for the rest of the day, literally sick.

Swamp A/cs work best in dryer areas. It's so humis here, that the evaporative action that causes it to cool would not take place, or take place so poorly, might buy us 4 deg. of cooling, at best.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2006 03:57 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It costs electric companies a lot of money when demand 'peaks'. The main power plants are not capable of handling the daytime spikes in power usage but are more than capable fo handling the evening/overnight power demands. To make up for the daytime power crunches power companies have to buy electricity from other companies with excess capacity or use their own 'peaking' plants. In this area Exel Energy has one such pant, a gas turbine plant. Most smaller hydro electric dams are also peaking plants as regulations requiring the resevoirs be kept within a certain level makes it impossible for them to be used continously.

If you want more coal/oil plants making California's smog problem worse or more nuclear plants producing dangerous waste then yeah, keep on using as much electricity as possible.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: