Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Expensive Vandalism Stories

Author Topic: Expensive Vandalism Stories
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2006 01:32 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shamelessly stolen from another board... [evil]

I remembered one incident from a few years ago, and was just wondering what the most expensive case of vandalism anyone's delt with was?

Mine was about $10,000 Canadian.

A teen girl (tg) came to the theatre with a bunch of her friends for her birthday. They showed up way too early and I guess they got bored.

One of tg's friends climbed behind the screen and unhooked part of the screen from its scaffolding. TG then got the brilliant idea to poke the screen.

Unfortunately, without the tension on it, it ripped like paper and a nice 6-inch hole was put in the screen.

The girls panicked and ran out. The police managed to catch tg and one other at the bookstore near-by. The police brought the girl back, and she was absolutely bawling. Parents were called. They were yelling so loud you could tell someone was shouting from the other end of the theatre.

The parents had to pay for the new screen, and for it to be delivered from somewhere in the states.

How 'bout it? Anyone have stories of SCs vandalism or unintentional destruction?

***Credit Broomjockey

|  IP: Logged

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2006 06:32 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a lowly, teenage usher in 1982 when my theatre's chain, UA, let its deal with the projectionists' union run out. Pretty soon, we had inexperienced, assistant managers running the booth and guys picketing in front of the theatre. On a particularly busy Friday or Saturday night, at the start of the 8:00pm showing of First Blood, it became obvious that the sound was out-of-whack. Nobody on staff knew how to fix it from the booth. So we had to stop the show and issue re-admission passes to 500 people in our 35mm Dolby Surround auditorium.

We looked behind the screen to see that someone had cut and removed wiring to the high-frequency horns. The manager specifically asked the staff not to tell stories blaming the picketing projectionists for this sabotage. So I won't. I have no idea how much it cost to hire a technician willing to cross picket lines to "fix" the problem. The sound system was never quite right again, but everything was perfectly tuned a few months later when we got a new 70mm system installed for Return of the Jedi.

After the incident with First Blood the manager assigned an usher to sit in the front row of each of the other five auditoriums to make sure nobody got behind another screen that night. I sat through Monsignor with Christopher Reeve. The first time I ever fell asleep on the job. (Luckily, nobody went behind the screen while I dozed off.)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-31-2006 08:52 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Greg Anderson
(Luckily, nobody went behind the screen while I dozed off.)

How would you know if they had bene back there [sleep] ?

Mark

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2006 11:48 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the asumption was that because more wiring had not been removed while he was [sleep] , then no one had crawled back there.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-31-2006 05:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mighta been back there.... [uhoh] .

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2006 07:12 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No major vandalism to any theatre I worked at.

However, on numerous occasions I have had employees vandalize manager's cars. This usually happened after said employee was fired from thier job.

The worst incident was one in which I had no direct involvement of an assistant being fired. I reported to my first night on the job - replacing the fired assistant manager. I previewed the film "Universal Soldier". When I went out to my car at 2 or so in the morning - there had been $3000 dollars damage done to my car. What a pain in the ass that was.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2006 07:23 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a 40 or 50 foot screen come in one day. It would not fit on the truck, so they cut the tube in half to make it fit. Not really vandalism, but pretty funny.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: