Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » B& W resolution charts

Author Topic: B& W resolution charts
Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2006 08:00 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The company I look for is looking for a new source of resolution charts. We use the 800 line chart for tuning our B&W camera systems. Most of our cameras we are lucky to get to 550 lines lately the tube quality is not what it used to be. We are looking for a supplier or a way that we can obtain some on transparencies. Not many people use these type of charts any more and the supply lines have dried up somewhat. For those that remember them you used to see these types of charts when the TV station first signed on the air. The one we currently use says DIAMOND in the corner of it. Thanks for the help.

|  IP: Logged

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2006 09:01 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was also looking for the charts, for use as my desktop wallpaper. Figured it'd be neat, unfortunaly, any scanns I found were of sufficently low quality, I wouldn't even use them on a 14' monitor running 640x480.

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2006 09:24 PM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Charles Greenlee
14' monitor
Wow. Where can I find one of those??

[Smile]

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2006 09:57 PM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but I figured it was worth posting just in case : Precision Optical Imaging

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2006 01:29 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Precisely, though I'd like to get ahold of the old indian head one. Unfortunatly, theres aren't scanned in high res. Probably to keep people from printing out their own I guess.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2006 06:26 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Mike, it's been forever since I've seen one of those. Dave Corley of DSC Labs up in Canada makes a res chart with different wedges out to 1200 lines that you may find usable, all their stuff has become industry standard as of late:

DSC Labs

Meanwhile, when RCA Broadcast finally gave up the ghost many years ago, a fine camera engineer named Chuck Pharris rescued the original artwork for the Indian Head Chart from their dumpster, and now sells reproductions out of a great web-site. Check out his collection of classic cameras, too::

Chuck Pharris

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-03-2006 09:34 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ISO 12233 Test Chart is a full-functioned resolution chart specifically designed for evaluating digital cameras:

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/res-chart.html

quote:
The ISO standard for measuring resolution of “electronic still imaging”" cameras is 12233, available only from the International Standards Organization for only 116 Swiss Francs (about $US93 as of this writing) and under copyright protection. But the design of the test chart seems not to be protected; its description has been available on the Web in an Excel spreadsheet. I have semi-manually converted this to an Adobe Illustrator file which is displayed here.

Other test chart sites:

http://www.precisionopticalimaging.com/standards/standards.asp?type=Test%20Charts

http://www.sinepatterns.com/i_Stdrds.htm

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-04-2006 03:09 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Charles Greenlee
Precisely, though I'd like to get ahold of the old indian head one.
Wasn't that etched into the test camera directly?

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2006 04:59 AM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the help one of the companies had exactly what we are looking for. They have become expensive. The price is around 200 dollars each for what we need.
[beer]

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2006 06:20 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
Wasn't that etched into the test camera directly?
Sort of. Here's the test pattern camera with a brief explanation.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2006 08:32 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Fitzgerald
Thanks for all the help one of the companies had exactly what we are looking for. They have become expensive. The price is around 200 dollars each for what we need.
For future reference, which site was it that had what you were looking for. You never know when someone might stumble across this thread from somewhere on the internet and find your information and solution useful... (Just my two cents)

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2006 07:07 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Precision Optical Imaging is the company that we are going to order from. Allen was extremely helpful and went out of his way to try and help get what we need for our B&W test stands. Now we will see how it looks when we get it here.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: