Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Ready for real MOTION pictures?

Author Topic: Ready for real MOTION pictures?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-03-2006 05:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screw digital cinema and 3-D. We're all going to have to install motion simulators to compete with home theatre. From IMDB.com:

"Motion" Pictures In More Ways Than One

Roller coasters and race tracks may soon be coming to your home with the introduction of D-Box, a home motion simulator that synchronizes with DVD players. D-Box announced Wednesday that it had negotiated a deal with 20th Century Fox in which Fox had agreed to embed D-Box's motion code on selected DVD releases. The company said that the device "can be installed on sofas and recliners [to] provide viewers with an unparalleled viewing experience." In a statement, Danny Kaye, a Fox senior VP, said, "We are impressed by what we have seen. ... After color and sound, we believe that motion could be the next big wave in movie viewing."

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2006-08-03/

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-03-2006 06:03 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. That'll be just as popular as Showscan. In other words, nobody will know it exists and certainly nobody will actually be stupid enough to pay for it. At least I hope so!

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-03-2006 06:32 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just think of how many logo emblazoned puke bags will be needed.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-03-2006 06:54 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One question for those "D-Box" folks:

How am I supposed to get into my best girlfriend's "hot box" if my living room couch is launching itself all over the place as if Linda Blair is possessing it in some Exorcist flick?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-03-2006 08:19 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm guessing that since you don't have a girlfriend, you don't have to worry about that! [Razz] [Big Grin]

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2006 08:32 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, let studios control furniture that was once motionless...
This won't bring on lawsuits... Just mass produce that thing Jim Carrey's Joker invented for Gotham City in Batman Forever

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-04-2006 12:06 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm prety sure Phil allready has some motion based equiptment hooked up to his dvd player.

(interpret any way you like [Wink] )

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 08-04-2006 10:39 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
D-BOX was installed in one of the "home theatre" rooms at our Parade of Homes this year (all but one of the homes had a dedicated home theatre room, and most had stadium seating.)

There was this little kid who had permanently planted himself in the room and kept repeating the chapter in "The Incredibles" where Elastigirl's jet is being chased by missles and ultimately blown up.

It was actually pretty neat.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-04-2006 12:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given the fact that most people will spend themselves into oblivion to give their darling kids every toy they demand, this could be a big deal.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-04-2006 05:31 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand why anyone would spend ANY money on kids!

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2006 06:41 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because they were too cheap to buy condoms? [Big Grin]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-04-2006 07:32 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then why don't they pull out? Stupidity results in kids.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2006 09:17 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The D-BOX Odyssee was installed in the home theater of one of my former employers. My boss loved it. Me...I found it quite annoying. Except for maybe watching the wormhole sequence from "Contact" with the D-BOX, I'd prefer my home movie watching not to be like a day at an amusement park.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-05-2006 12:09 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, I'm guessing that since you don't have a girlfriend, you don't have to worry about that!
Gosh. Wow, when getting laid or having a relationship I didn't know part of the protocol was informing Adam Martin that I was fucking someone. Holy fucking shit. Adam Martin is the USA gatekeeper on who's fucking who data. Who knew!?

There's my mom and my dad, but Adam Martin ranks ahead of that if I need to tell someone about getting a blow job! After all, he is the one who is most interested!
[Razz]

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2006 01:36 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that the last time I was at Dolby's Presidio screening room they had a couple of "special" chairs set up with a similar technology, if I remember right I could be wrong.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: