Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Long distance relationships, do they work? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Long distance relationships, do they work?
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2006 11:57 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never been involved in a long distance relationship, hardly even a short distance relationship, but I have noticed something about the long distance relationship. It only seems to work when you have two things. 1st, One person, usually (always) the guy has to be good liar. 2nd, The other person, usually a girl, has to be really dumb. It seems like a magic combination. Anyone else have any opinions?

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-05-2006 12:16 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Long distance relationships suck ass.

Pretty much you need to be in the same city or town. Otherwise it just isn't going to work. Especially these days with gasoline costing $3.00 and up per gallon.

Emma Tomiak
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2006 12:35 AM      Profile for Emma Tomiak   Author's Homepage   Email Emma Tomiak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I happen to be in one right now, and I have to say that while it hurts to be away from my guy, it's working out well so far. I think it is working for me because I know I'll be going back soon (in the next year or so). And with email, texting, cheap international phone rates and the like, it's very easy to keep in touch. We spoke about each of us dating others until I returned, but decided that neither of us was interested in that, so we decided to keep dating. Just 8,000 miles apart.

Also, my dad dated a lady from Spain for over a year before she moved here to Texas to live with him. He got to visit her once a month or so, having more money than I do for plane tickets and travel, but they stayed in touch through phone and email. She's been living with us for over a year now and things are working out great.

I think, to make a long distance relationship withstand the test of distance and time, the people involved must be very committed to each other, and plan to be together (and by that I mean in the same area) in the future.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-05-2006 01:18 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to fucking cry now. Geez. That's so sweet.
[beer]

My cousin Kevin has been married to a really beautiful lady he met who is from Spain. Her name is Pilar. And she really is to die for. That lucky bastard. Hehe. I am truly jealous.

Meanwhile, Yours truly is having to weather what he finds in these parts of the dead American sort of Southwest within former "Indian Territory." I'm not lonely...

...but I'm not exactly bending over backwards to be committed to anyone either. It's tough to find someone who is not a chain smoker, a tweeker, a neurotic over-eater, etc. etc. etc.

I don't know. My father always loved to float this saying:
"Love is like the morning dew.
It is as apt to settle on
a pile of shit
as it as a rose."

You may love someone, but you can never know nor control how they think or feel about other people or things they love.

When you actually reach a true connection with someone on both the physical and mental level it is really great. You just have to try to make it last.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2006 01:25 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that if you loved someone, something silly like gas at $3 a gallon shouldn't matter. [Smile]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2006 03:55 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to agree with Mr Henderson. Gas is ridiculous and if she lives in a different zip code it would be long distance. Let's face it, long distance relationships are bad for the environment. It could be Al Gore's 2008 campaign slogan "Stop Global Warming, Bang Your Neighbor!"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-05-2006 07:13 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The short answer is that they absolutely can and do if the two of you are truly in love.

I think Mike has it figured out. If you've met someone more than 3 hours travel away, you have to ask yourself if you are really in love with this girl. If you are, then absolutely nothing should get in the way, unless you physically cannot afford to spend the gas or airplane money to get there.

You should also ask yourself if this is someone you could forsee actually spending the rest of your life with. If you tell yourself "no", then it's really just a booty call and you aren't in love.

Finally, ask yourself how you feel about full frontal male nudity.

By the way, I don't agree with the whole zip code thing. You can be one block away and be in two different zip codes!

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2006 07:31 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you should ask!

I had a running gag with my friends for years due to the fact that every time I would meet a girl she would be from halfway across the country. So I'd meet a girl and my friends would ask, 'So where does this one live...Perth?' (Perth being on the opposite coast to Sydney).

Finally, I met a girl 'only' 20kms away or so. That's close compared to what I had before (my previous gf was 80kms away).

We're no longer together but to answer the original question - yes, I believe it can work as long as you are planning on doing something about the distance thing sometime. I don't believe it's sustainable long term or on an ongoing basis but it can work until something better is worked out.

On the other hand, I wouldn't deliberately go looking for someone long distance as it is a pain in the ass!

If you can date someone in the same suburb, it's so much better. And I'll confirm that statement if I ever achieve that feat. [Big Grin]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-05-2006 01:51 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree some people are definitely able to make long distance relationships work. However, I think odds are stacked against most people who try.

There's a number of practical sacrifices you have to make. You can't see each other at just any time. Most people have to work Monday through Friday and then only see their significant other on the weekend.

Eventually one of two things happen. One person will leave his/her job and location to be with their significant other full time in the same city. More often people just start getting tired of the distance and blocks of time where they're not seeing each other. All those other days during the week start turning into opportunities to spend time with other people. Then they move on to someone else.

I've dated women in the Oklahoma City area. That's about the longest distance I think is reasonably practical. The drive there is a bit over an hour from here (doing 80mph on the 75mph turnpike). $30 is spent on gas round trip and then you add in another $5.50 for tolls.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2006 02:19 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ironically for people dating each in town, they work M-F also... but they have the advantage of seeing each other those same nights if possible... but then if you're wiped out from work, most likely you see each other only on the weekends. And no I'm not offering tips on your love life, but still justifying the expense of gas vs a relationship seems awfully Costanza-ish, lol.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2006 03:54 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well maybe Mike Heenan makes enough money to be able to drive 100 miles to get laid, but most of us do not.

I used to date a girl that lived about 50 miles away. Gas was around $1.50 at the time, I had no bills to pay so it wasnt a big deal finacially. The biggest problem was the time. You can't just go over there to hang out and then go to work, you have to plan an entire day around it. I can't justify driving two hours round trip for half an hour to an hour of foreplay/sex.

Not only would I not have the time now, I also have bills to pay. Sure I could be a loser and move back in with my parents to save money, but living on your own is the first step towards being a man.

Brad, tell me, were you the one doing the lying or being lied to? I had no idea you were so sappy. The zip code comment was an exagerration, also known as a joke. Of course you didnt like Anchorman or Ricky Bobby so I can't expect you to understand a good joke.

I guess my biggest beef with the LDR is, why put yourself through that? There are single guys and girls all over the place that you can be with, assuming you don't live in Bobby's area. So as long as you are unlike me and have the balls to do something about it then you can have a good partner.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-05-2006 04:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
The drive there is a bit over an hour from here (doing 80mph on the 75mph turnpike). $30 is spent on gas round trip
Dude! You get some shitty mileage!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-05-2006 05:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Hipp
Well maybe Mike Heenan makes enough money to be able to drive 100 miles to get laid, but most of us do not.
quote: Chris Hipp
I can't justify driving two hours round trip for half an hour to an hour of foreplay/sex.
Oh sorry, I didn't realize the title of the thread was "Long distance booty calls, do they work?" [Razz]

(I'm surprised no one commented on my quote. I know CH got it.)

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2006 06:27 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Chris since you just assume I have the money to do that, I'll let you continue doing so, not my problem. I'm not in a LDR and never have been in one either. I just found bobby's comments interesting , of relationships basically not being worth it if you have to drive an extra 50 miles and shell out a little more money for gas.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-05-2006 07:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, I have a girl friend in every town that I service! You can take that statement how ever you want to....

Mark

P.S. Just kinddin of course...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: