Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Best and Worst Celebrity Encounters (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Best and Worst Celebrity Encounters
Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2006 12:10 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the years I have met numerous celebrities. Some of them were nice and some, well, not so much. Here's the breakdown...

Best, in order starting with the absolute best:
1. Adam Sandler
2. Dan Whitney a.k.a Larry the Cable Guy
3. Carlos Santana
4. Lewis Black
5. Motley Crue

Sandler was the greatest. He actually made me feel like he wanted to meet me.

The worst, in order starting with the absolute worst:
1. Dustin Diamond a.k.a Screech
DONE. I've met and worked with some other celebrities that weren't the most fun to be around but none of them compare to being as big of an asshole as Screech. The staff wasn't allowed to refer to him as Screech because he said he wanted to keep that in the past yet he sold shirts that said "Save Screech's House." He SOLD autographs for $5 a piece and pictures were $10. I'm not saying that he had headshots for sale, no, if you brought your own camera to the club and wanted a picture after the show, you had to pay $10. I could go on and on, I'll elaborate more if you want.

So anyways, what are some of your best and worst celebrity encounters?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2006 12:21 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like Screech learned from the Ron Jeremy school of selling autographs and pictures, lol. (and Ron was a cool guy too)

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2006 12:24 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Christian Volpi
no, if you brought your own camera to the club and wanted a picture after the show, you had to pay $10.
Sounds alot like when I was in mexico and I had to pay $5 to get my picture taken with a monkey. If you didn't have your own camera it was $10. I just wanted to hold the monkey so I paid $5.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-15-2006 01:07 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best = Arthur Miller. Worst = Arthur Scargill.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2006 01:14 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BEST: James Whittemore, Darryl Hickman, and Noreen Nash.

Worst: ? The above 3 are all I've met!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-15-2006 03:48 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Renee Zellweger [thumbsup]

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/wareview.php?id=1262&category=3

Folks that I met through my participation and leadership on the InterSociety Committee for the Enhancement of Cinema Presentation: John Fithian (Prez of NATO), Mary Ann Grasso-Anderson, etc. [thumbsup]

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2006 04:31 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine worked with Ben Stiller on a recent film, said he's an asshole.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2006 05:27 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have met a few:

The best was Larry Bird (although he is a sports celebrity) - was a regular at a theatre I ran in Naples, Florida. One hellva guy. He would give you the shirt off his back.

The worst was one of my childhood idols: Johnny Bench. When I wanted a moment to talk with him - he told me to F*ck off (after I told him I was from Cincinnati and he was a childhood idol!)

Let's see who else:
Joe Pesci (cool cat - his wife and daughter are both taller than him!)

Dennis Quaid (cool guy and awesome father - who son looks just like Meg Ryan)

Geddy Lee (from Rush) - really, really cool guy

Sylvester Stallone (this guy was short!)

Jake Gyllenhal (when he first got started)

Gallagher (this guy is even funny off stage)

Melanie Griffith's mom - Tippi Hedron (right?) - nice lady

The guy who played the father on the Waltons (another funny guy)

Sean Connery (wasn't in a good mood when I met him)

Michael Moore - who I mistakenly called Roger Moore and he forgave me.

Dan Marino (a-list a-hole - tried to get free popcorn at a theatre I worked at)

Vince Neil (of Motely Crue) - what a laid back kinda guy

That's all I can think of now.. I'll post with more later.

Kelly Skaggs
Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2006 05:39 PM      Profile for Kelly Skaggs   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Skaggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best, Danny Glover, Vince Gill, Peter Frampton, Mike Piazza (his uncle was with him and was a ass).

The Worst, Oprah stuck up bitch, acted like who are you to talk to me all you do is manage a movie theater, Lorrie Morgan thought she should get in free because she was Lorrie Morgan, Johnny Bench is a MAJOR ASSHOLE.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2006 05:45 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad Pitt, Chow Yun-Fat, William Friedkin (director of Excorcist) and Rick McCallum (producer of Star Wars).Have been my best celebrity encounters, cannot think of a bad celebrity moment.

Brad Pitt at the Electric Cinema, Portabello Rd, London. Happily introduced himself and shook staffs hands when turning up at 6 in the morning to see Octopussy the final film in a James Bond all nighter.

Chow Yun-Fat at the closing weekend of the Scala cinema. Kings Cross, London. Being interviewed by MTV in the projection room as I did c/o's in the background, He even remembered my name and said hi the next day [Smile]

William Fredkin signed an Excorcist poster "with much grattitude"
the pride of my poster collection!.

Rick McCallum discussing the digital future of cinema to me in my bio box for 40 minutes a few years ago at the Chauvel in Sydney. Australia

My worst celebrity moments have been when working on location and not a cinema experience! needless to say that the poor attitude is usually from there friends, not the celebrity themselves.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2006 06:30 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Cameron Glendinning
Chow Yun-Fat at the closing weekend of the Scala cinema
I would trade all the celebs I met (except Geddy Lee) to be able to meet Chow Yun Fat. I love every one of his John Woo films - and have all of them on DVD!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-15-2006 07:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best:

Antonio Banderas, Directing Crazy In Alabama was hilarious working as a director.

John Candy, When working on "Uncle Buck"

James Cameron, When working on "True Lies"

McCauley Caulkin, Whom I caught playing with the projectors one day when I showed up to run dailies on the first "Home Alone".

Sir Richard Attenbourgh... who was more interested in watching the film fly through my VistaVision projector that he was in watching the dailies of Miracle On 34th St.

Bad.... I was never treated bad by any actor.... there was only one disagreeable D.P. and one editor out of over 40 films.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-15-2006 07:46 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really celebrities, but the producers of the movie Warriors of Virtue tipped me when I ran the show for them awhile before it came out. They were very polite. A few weeks later they wanted to watch it again and requested me by name to run it for them.

Sandra Bullock was at my theater for an unmarried print of "Hope Floats" and she was sitting in the room that lies between the booth and the auditorium and hallway. I almost tripped over her on my way into the booth to run the print and I barely even recognized her.

I don't really have any bad experiences that I can think of.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-15-2006 07:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the years I ran various screenings for celebrities at GCC Northpark, but I would have to really sit down and think through to try and compile a list. The list would include impressive people such as Jim Cameron all the way down to some stupid tough guy no-name actor...who was the only one who showed up for his big premiere!!! hahahahahaha (I wish now I could remember the name of the guy or the movie.)

Outside of Northpark, I ran dailies for Michael Bay for Pearl Harbor. Now you may THINK that was the most exciting thing to ever happen to anyone, but you would be wrong because I have also ran many of the check prints for the infamous Front Row Joe policy trailers to Lee Roy Mitchell!!!!! Oh yeah, nothing beat running that flat trailer in scope so he could decide that it was "good enough to run that way" so he wouldn't have to print scope copies. [Razz]

Oh yeah, then there was a screening for this infamous guy! [Big Grin]
 -

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-15-2006 08:32 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best: Elliot Easton (lead guitarist for The Cars)
I was talking with an art school friend of mine outside of his day job at Sam Ash Music on 48th Street in Manhattan. We were talking guitar stuff out in front of the store. Elliot Easton was leaving the place, but stopped and chatted with us for what seemed like an hour. It may not have been nearly that long, but it was pretty damned cool nonetheless.
[thumbsup]

Worst: Dwight Yoakum
I like his music. Have a number of his CDs. But he was a complete dick at a concert put on at Fort Sill a few years ago (which also featured Trisha Yearwood, Patty Loveless and Willie Nelson). I got Patty Loveless to autograph a tee shirt for a beautiful red-headed lady I was dating at the time. Everyone who encoutered Yoakum came away with a really negative impression. Total prima-donna. Good actor and good musician though. Just don't want to spend any time around the fella.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: