Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Forget Houston lets try Dallas! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Forget Houston lets try Dallas!
Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2006 10:32 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next month I am going to be in Galveston for the GSCA conference from 15-20 September. I have a day and a half free on the 21st and 22nd before my flight back from Houston George Bush so wondered if anyone had suggestions for me as to what i should try to visit.

|  IP: Logged

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2006 11:33 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Johnson Space Center is Good if you have never been there. Moody Gardens in Galveston is nice.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-17-2006 11:57 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't do it! [Razz]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2006 12:36 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, seriously, listen to Adam. Can't you go to Tahiti or Fiji, anywhere but Houston?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-17-2006 02:41 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm amazed they still have flights TO Houston. You would think that flights would only originate there. LOuis

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-17-2006 02:45 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing Houston has is a better Fry's than Dallas... which is better than the no Fry's we have in Denver. [Frown]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-17-2006 05:01 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and in a similar vein, I'm going to have around half a day to kill in Anchorage at the end of a conference in October. Any suggestions gratefully received.

quote: Louis Bornwasser
I'm amazed they still have flights TO Houston. You would think that flights would only originate there.
For some reason my local airport only seems interested in potential outbound custom ... they don't seem to be anticipating a stampede of inbound vistors. Can't imagine why... [Roll Eyes]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-17-2006 06:02 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that the airport which is "served" by Tees-Side Airport station? If so, I think it has something like one train per day. In the recently-published station usage stats for 2004-5 it ranks at position 2493, out of 2502, on the National Rail network. The way these figures are drawn up is somewhat strange; some stations do appear unrealistically high, or low, in the table, but the figures for Tees-side Airport are:

Entries standard: 7
Entries reduced: 18
Entries season: 0
Total entries: 25

Exits standard: 32
Exits reduced: 17
Exits season: 0
Total exits: 49

These are the figures for the whole year, but are based on ticket sales, and so do not include things like people travelling on rover tickets, probably none at this station, but could be significant at others.

I'm not sure if the service (or lack of it) is responsible for the usage (or lack of it), or vica versa, but this situation really is a farce; if there's a need for a service to this station, then a proper one should be provided; if there isn't then it should be closed.

There are other stations like this: the best known probably being Reddish South and Denton, near Manchester, which are served by one train per week, in one direction only; there's no return working. This stretch of line is used from time to time for diversions when there is engineering work going on, but these stations are not served by these trains. I don't know if there's any freight on the line; I doubt it, there's not much on our railways now, they're mainly passenger.

The very lowest station in the list is Gainsborough Central, which had 9 total entries, and 12 total exits. The two lowest in the previous year were Barry Links, and Golf Street, in Scotland. When these figures were published last year, several people on the uk.railway newsgroup were planning to make a journey to, or from, these stations, just to boost the figures a bit. If they did so, they didn't make much difference; the stations were third and fifth from the bottom ths year.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2006 02:37 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: William T. Parr
Johnson Space Center is Good if you have never been there. Moody Gardens in Galveston is nice.

JSC was the ony place I had considered and Moody Gardens is where the conference is being held [thumbsup]

In that case perhaps I should hop on a flight to Dallas for the day(and night!)

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-18-2006 05:20 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
Is that the airport which is "served" by Tees-Side Airport station?
There's a bus from Darlington station but, AFAIK, no direct train straight to the airport. The railway passes the airport right at north end of the runway - over a mile from the terminal building at its nearest point, I'd guess - so if there is a station there, passengers would have a very long walk with their heavy suitcases. I think you'd have to have buses to take people between the trains and the terminal, and if you're going to faff about with buses at all, you might as well take people straight to Darlington, where the long-distance trains go from.

Better public transport links would boost traffic through that airport significantly, I think. The bus from Darlington doesn't start until 0800 and finishes at around 2000; so if you're leaving on the 0600 flight or returning on the 2155 arrival from London or the 2215 from Amsterdam, it's no good. The car park (though very reasonably priced by airport standards) is so congested that you have to book well in advance to be sure of a space. A pity: the airport itself is ideal - just big enough to have decent facilities but small enough not to have massive queues (Newcastle has now expanded to the point that it's almost as bad as Manchester when it comes to queueing for baggage drop-off and security).

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2006 04:31 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Dallas sounds more and more tempting and we all know what should be high on the list there! [Big Grin]

Now should it be Plano or Addison? [Confused]

Adam Martin

- posted 08-18-2006 06:02 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, well if you're going to be in Dallas, maybe I'll fly in and we can have a get-together and criticize Brad's projection skills. [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-18-2006 07:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Hipp
anywhere but Houston
I agree... everyplace in Texas should only have outbound flights... There just might be enough 737's to do the job in short order [thumbsup] !

"At the end of February 2006, Boeing had orders for 6,160 737s and had delivered 5,009 737s to more than 200 operators in more than 100 countries around the world. A 737 takes off or lands somewhere in the world every 4.6 seconds, and approximately 1,250 of the twinjets are in the air at any given time."

Just had to put this in the eyes of those Airbus lovers [Big Grin]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-18-2006 09:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You could always swing by for the Film-Tech Screening Room v15 (or whatever it's up to, as it is constantly changing as I have my playtime).

Off topic, has anyone else noticed that Adam's last post above is the ONLY post he has made since his new member picture that doesn't fit his expression? [Razz]

Adam Martin

- posted 08-18-2006 10:13 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
the ONLY post he has made since his new member picture that doesn't fit his expression?
quote: Adam Martin
criticize Brad's projection skills
Or does it? [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: