Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Snakes on a Plane Practical Joke

Author Topic: Snakes on a Plane Practical Joke
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2006 08:11 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movie chain AMC Entertainment Inc. said pranksters at one of its Phoenix theaters released two live diamondback rattlesnakes during a showing of the film “Snakes on a Plane” last Friday. No one was injured.

AMC spokeswoman Melanie Bell said, “One was found in the parking lot during the show, and the other in the movie theater. They were both removed, and no one was harmed.”
The snakes were later released in the desert.
Bell had no further details.

The movie stars Samuel L. Jackson, and spins a yarn about a crate-load of escaped snakes that run amok on an airline flight, attacking passengers and crew.

“There were kids at the show, and it was actually very reckless,” Russ Johnson, the president of the Phoenix Herpetological Society told Reuters.

“The snakes’ bite carries a powerful venom that could have seriously injured someone,” he added.

Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14472142/

[ 08-22-2006, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Will Kutler ]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-22-2006 10:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Again Will, read the rules and post the link.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2006 12:32 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Naughty naughty Will. [Smile] Yeah, I wouldn't relese any snakes in a theatre. Too much error for panic, and accidental harm to come to the snake and/or people. Even if it was non-venomous. Now would I borrow the theatre late at night for a fan-spoof of the movie using my friend's pet snakes, and then relese the vid online, yes. But everyone involved would be in on it, not surprising some customers and probably the staff too, and causing chaos. And especially not with a venomous snake.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2006 12:29 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spring snakes in a can.. The old timey version of that joke [Big Grin]

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2006 03:44 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually...
http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news/articles/0822talker-ON.html
'Snakes in a theater' turns out to be hoax

Aug. 22, 2006 07:27 PM

Police say reports that rattlesnakes were let loose during a showing of Snakes on a Plane at a north Phoenix theater have taken moviegoers for a ride.

There is some shred of truth to the story, Phoenix police Sgt. Joel Tranter said. A 10-inch-long rattlesnake was found Friday in a hallway at AMC Desert Ridge 18, near Tatum Boulevard and Loop 101. But it likely slithered inside on its own, Tranter said.

A security guard swept the snake outside and held it in a Tupperware container until a member of the Arizona Herpetological Association could take it away. Snake handlers had been called earlier in the day to retrieve a rattler from outside the theater.

An AMC spokeswoman told the news organization Reuters that the rumors were true, but Tranter has been refuting the story to news outlets from across the U.S.

- Lindsey Collom

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2006 05:39 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know about... it could have made it there on it's own, and the surrounding area is desert (it's sort of open mall/shopping center type area surrounded by desert land) but the timing seems odd. I'd put my money on some kids bringing it in or heck, even some New Line interns. [Big Grin]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2006 05:44 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found a 2 foot long corn snake stuck to a sticky trap once when I worked at AMC. I took it home and ran it under the sink until the adhesive was not adhesive. I kept it for about a year and then it escaped.

It would always get out of its cage. This was at the time I was getting my SCUBA certification. It was not it its cage but I didnt have time to look for it so I grabbed my gear bag and went to the pool. I went into the locker room to change into my swimshorts and when I put them on I felt something moving around. Yep, that stupid snake was hiding out in my shorts.

I've heard of people with large pythons that get out of their cages and curl up in their owner's crotches while they sleep. They go wherever there is heat.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2006 06:30 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Hipp
I went into the locker room to change into my swimshorts and when I put them on I felt something moving around. Yep, that stupid snake was hiding out in my shorts.
Too easy... [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: