Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Anyone have experience with the Canon EOS 30D?

Author Topic: Anyone have experience with the Canon EOS 30D?
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-23-2006 08:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be trying the EOS 30D next week shooting a friends wedding with it. Since I get to try it before I buy it I thought I'd ask if anyone here has any expereince with using one??? Reccomend or not? Good or bad aspects???

Also my Photoshop 5.0 is getting old (ok decrepid!) and what plug in if any can I use to take advantage of the RAW file that this camera also puts out?

Thanks!
Mark

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-23-2006 09:55 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adobe Photoshop 5.0 cannot handle RAW to my knowledge. Even Adobe CS handles RAW pretty crappily with a plug-in unless Canon has their own proprietary plug-in that I don't know about (all RAW is not created equally). Canon's RAW manager in their image browser is far more versatile in my experience. It lets you switch white balance between all of the different camera white balance modes, adjust exposure (just like the camera would) and all that crap. RAW basically means that it is the exact image straight from the CCD before processing. Once you get it looking OK in the Canon program you can export as a TIF and import into Photoshop -1.0. It is kind of a pain in the ass to go through these steps in a different program, but it is worth it.

JPEGs are retarded unless they are for the web. Avoid.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-24-2006 12:16 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Joe for that detailed answer... I'm looking foreword to putting this camera through its paces. I agree on JPED... but then JPEG 2000 might also be worth looking at... since we will all be looking at it sooner or later.

Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-24-2006 12:20 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another item to consider: Adobe Lightroom.

The current Beta is now available to download for both Mac and Windows users. The first Mac-only Beta was already proving itself to be a better tool for handling RAW images than Apple's Aperture. The final "gold code" product should be available for sale by the end of the year (in both Windows and Universal Binary Mac formats).

The Canon EOS 30D is supported in the latest Windows-based beta of Adobe Lightroom.

I don't know if the final "flattened" images from Lightroom (in standard RGB-8, RGB-16 or RGB-32 formats) will require PhotoshopCS2. Photoshop 5.0 had very limited capability for 16-bit per channel color. PhotoshopCS2 has quite a bit more room for handling "high dynamic range" image data, such as that which comes from RAW-based images. If you're doing professional, paid work then PhotoshopCS2 would be an extremely worthwhile investment.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-24-2006 08:48 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bobby!

I've downloaded Lightroom but where can I download some RAW images to work with?

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-24-2006 05:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would send you some but 7.2 megapixel RAW images can be upwards of 8 MEGABYTES!!!!! OMG!!!! Just so you know, RAW generally uses a 4:1 or maybe even 5:1 compression.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-24-2006 07:01 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The compression level may really be only 2:1. Honestly, that's as good as lossless data compression gets for any kind of data, be it imagery, audio or other archival data. Some variant of LZW is usually in use.

RAW images are not widely available for download on the Internet because nearly all are very proprietary. Nearly all RAW image files have unique hooks to the specific camera model used to capture the original RAW image. This is why applications like Aperture and Lightroom must support many different kinds of D-SLR cameras and add support for newer models in different point release updates.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-24-2006 09:16 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the Canon manual, RAW files use approximately 4:1 compression (compared to an uncompressed RGB TIFF) and are lossless.

Anyway, HERE is a RAW image file for you to download and play with. It is 6.45MB and is something I just snapped right now. It is a one second exposure and handheld, so it may be a touch blurry. This is from the Canon Powershot S70 camera, which kicks ass.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: