Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How'd they USED to make subtitles?

Author Topic: How'd they USED to make subtitles?
Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2006 08:33 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up on a steady diet of art-house, repertory-house and film society showings. And I always wondered how did they used to get the subtitles on 16mm and 35mm foreign-language films?

The letters always had that unique sharp edge that looked like it had been literally etched into the print - that, to my mind, ruled out any kind of bi-pack printing, maybe even ruled out double-exposure in the interpositive (though maybe that was it). The look was so different from anything else I'd ever seen (except things scratched into the emulsion) that I just couldn't figure it out - still can't.

Can anyone enlighten me?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-25-2006 08:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And while you experts are explaining this old stuff, how about the "bouncing ball" they used to have on song lyrics? That can't be full blown animation can it?

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2006 12:11 AM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
The bouncing ball I know: white ball on a black stick in before a black backdrop, filmed in real time, then a high-contrast double-exposure over the title cards.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-26-2006 03:33 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bouncing balls weren't always on film; sometimes they performed 'live'. A Brenograph attachment was available to project a bouncing ball from one lantern, and lantern slides with the words from the other. Come to think about it, you could get attachemnts to do just about anything with a Brenograph. I've only ever seen one once, and it took two operators on the machine to use the thing, one changing the slides and the other bouncing the ball. I'm not sure if it was made by Brenkert, or if it was a third-party product; it doesn't appear in their catalogue.

I suppose you could do it without even having the attachment by using a pinhole slide, and moving the main mirror by hand, but the attachment made it easier. It had a rod with a knob on the end; you twisted the rod to move the ball up and down, and puled it in and out to move from side to side.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-26-2006 10:33 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laser or chemical etching is used for existing prints and small runs. Larger runs usually will have a subtitle negative shot for the print order. Sometimes when used prints are recycled for foreign markets, the laser / chemical titles may go out of synronisation if the running length is altered.
Max Fleisher of Betty Boop and Popeye fame did a series of boucung ball cartoons in the 1920 - 1930's period which where very popular and profitable since they where so low cost [Cool]

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2006 12:46 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite "bouncing ball" cartoons:

In My Merry Oldsmobile

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2006 12:58 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm partial to this one. This uses a crawling text with a white circle on a stick. You can see the circle cover up the letters occasionally.

Let's All Sing With Popeye (Public Domain BitTorrent)

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-27-2006 03:25 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinetitres used to have an embossing machine that physically pressed the subtitles into the emulsion of the prints- Letterpress fashion. Looked like hell on the screen, the text all swirling around with loose bits of emulsion and such.

The big thing, though, was you didnt need to make special print runs for foreign versions -- you could used the standard domestic release prints.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-28-2006 11:00 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Subtitles can be done in several ways:

1. Optically printed or output (e.g., laser film recorder) onto the printing negative.

2. Use a subtitle negative that is "bi-pack" printed to hold back exposure from the lettered area.

3. Wax-etch or chemical-etch method: The processed print is coated with a thin layer of wax, then the subtitles are embossed into each wax-coated frame. The film is then put into a strong bleach, that bleaches out the film emulsion in the title areas. The wax is then removed using a solvent.

4. Laser subtitles: a powerful laser "writes" the titles onto each frame of a processed print. The print is then rewashed to remove the charred debris from the titles.

The wax-etch and laser subtitling methods usually remove the emulsion, so the title is at a slightly different focus than the actual picture image.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2006 06:43 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Cyprus we use both Wax etching and Laser Subtitling depending on the distribution company. I hate Laser in some old cinemas especially in Scope. (please don't give me the link to the tip about focussing films in scope) [Smile] . Something though that I have noticed is that a problem in scope focussing is when the lens is in two parts (standard and anamorphic). When the lens is 1 part full then focussing is no problem!
D

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: