Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Full Sail University

Author Topic: Full Sail University
Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2006 02:47 AM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever attended Full Sail based in Florida? I was looking into maybe going into there Show Production and Touring degree program, and was wondering if it would be worth my time and money.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-29-2006 12:14 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've looked into several schools like this to study animation. Be extremely careful. Many of them are out to make a mad grab at your bank account. After you go through the nice flashy brochures, try to get in touch with a student, or beter yet, a graduate. Also try to get a hold of some student work and evaluate the quality of the work when compared to the quality of the student work at other colleges & universities.

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2006 03:31 AM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the thing is I have not been able to find another school that teaches this type of program and the only other way is to really learn is know someone that goes on tour with artist and get in with an apprenticeship with that person.

Does anyone know any other school that teaches something like this?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-29-2006 05:14 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would:

1. Contact any professional in the field you want and ASK about this school. ASK also if they known anyone from there.

2. Show up unannounced at the school and take someone at random out to dinner or "hang" with exisitng students. Show up on Thursday and spend the weekend. This could be the best money you spend.

In aviation, I known of "big name" schools that are slow and a wallet grab. Some are wonderful, some are wonderful and slow also and some are almost frauds. You are right to be wary. Louis

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2006 07:05 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that it's definitive (or even 100% accurate), but Wikipedia lists alumni of this school. I wouldn't spend a single cent without checking out the validity of the claims, and am suspect of their lack of alumni listed on their official site. Maybe I just missed that listing, but I don't know.

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2006 11:21 AM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very werey of jumping into this school because I was duped with ITT Tech, and do not want this to happen again. There is a list of alumni on there website.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-29-2006 11:37 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, the same subject came up on another forum today, too. They didn't have much to say about it either, but one guy linked to this discussion: http://www.collegeconfidential.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?8/36515
I haven't read it, but maybe it will help you a little.

Here is a tiny little bit of education, completely free of charge (!): it is "their website", not "there website".

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-29-2006 05:51 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One certainly doesn't need a degree to be a roadie on any kind of show, from rock bands to Broadway national touring companies, so I don't understand why such a degree would be offered. On the road, work experience, operator licensing and certification, and in some cases union membership, is what counts. If one wants to be a roadie, just go be a roadie. It's not that hard to get on a crew as long as one is willing to start out doing the grunt work. Training in this field has always been mostly a matter of learning by doing. The guys already working in this field will always prefer to work with someone who worked his way up as opposed to someone with only book knowledge and no practical experience. If one really wants a degree related to this field, a BA or MFA in technical theater arts would be the way to go. This touring degree sounds worthless.

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2006 07:01 PM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am really not going into this to be a roadie, I would like to work on designing and installing sound and lighting systems into permenant buildings, such as churchs, stage theaters, yes movie theaters (though I really do not think this is really going to cover a whole lot on this aspect), etc... Sure working for a touring band would be fun, but really there is no $$ in that and I do not know how much I would like to be on the road all the time.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-31-2006 10:39 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A call to the local university admissions dept. was enlightening. Full Sail falls into what actual legitimate colleges and universities call trade schools. Credits or so called degrees earned at these schools are generally not accepted at other schools, including other trade schools. Potential employers may view them similarly.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-31-2006 04:51 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every graduation class I get several resumes from "experienced" students from this school [uhoh] Better to be an apprentice to an expert in the field chosen, take courses available from Syn-Aud-Com or trade groups such as NSCA or go to a decent college than these trade for profit schools [Wink]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-01-2006 09:01 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am well-familiar with Full Sail. My wife considered going there when we lived in Florida. The result of our research: it's just like broadcasting school. You don't really need anyone to show you this stuff, you only need that first small gig to learn the ropes as a function of getting the job. Let's face it, in all manners regarding talent, you're going to be infinitely more valuable to an employer in what you can do, rather than what equipment you spent a couple of hours operating.

Twice in my broadcasting career, I was hired as air talent sight unseen -- without submitting as much as an audition tape or a resume. I got on the air at these stations (and, in the highly-valued morning drive slot at one station) based solely on my negotiating skills and the people I knew. Anyone in broadcasting will tell you this is very unusual for a medium-market station 20 years ago; you had to have a tape and resume! My point with this is not to impress you, but to impress UPON you the importance of your own resources; your own talent. Develop it. Sell it. Sell yourself.

Like Richard says, endeavor to hang out with professionals and make some real contacts. Expand your horizons independently; don't pay for information that you can find on the Internet.

Yes, Full Sail offers a measure of hands-on with various things, but at what cost? You still have no practical experience. You can learn just as much, or more, from a few good books. I always find what I'm looking for on Amazon.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: