Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin Dies (Page 1)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin Dies
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2006 12:15 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just read this

quote:
SYDNEY (Reuters) - Steve Irwin, the quirky Australian naturalist who won worldwide acclaim, has died in a marine accident off Australia's northeast coast, local media reported on Monday.
Queensland state government sources quoted by Australian Associated Press (AAP) said Irwin, 44, whose television show "The Crocodile Hunter" won international acclaim and popularized the phrase "Crikey," was believed to have been killed by a stingray barb that pierced his chest.

He was filming an underwater documentary off Port Douglas when the accident occurred, the report said.

Sky Television also reported that Irwin had been stung by a sting ray.

Australian emergency officials could not immediately confirm the reports.

Irwin won a global following for his daredevil antics but also triggered outrage in 2004 by holding his then one-month-old baby while feeding a snapping crocodile at his Australian zoo.

Sad...

|  IP: Logged

Chad Smith
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2006 01:31 AM      Profile for Chad Smith   Email Chad Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted it to be like a mutant seven-foot-long cobra/lion hybrid

I still can't believe it.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-04-2006 01:46 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weird news. This guy travelled back in time just to wrestle a T-Rex, and he won! Now he gets done in by a freakin' stingray? At least it was by some kind of animal, though. Imagine how embarrassing it would have been if he died on the toilet or similar. Though I've gotta admit it would be quite convenient to die on a toilet since people usually "relieve" themselves when they die.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-04-2006 02:21 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So ironic, that someone who courted disaster around huge reptiles all his life, would be taken by something as rare as a Stingray attack. The boat company that runs tours to the area Irwin was shooting in, said they'd never heard of anyone dying from contact with a Stingray before.

Our family really liked this man. His shows were very informative and entertaining, and he was always a hoot to watch. Such a sad ending.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2006 02:33 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always figured he would be killed by a huge croc one day when he wasn't paying attention. The sting ray story sounds fishy. I don't know how different rays are in Australia, but all of the ones I have come in contact with have been indefferent to our presence. Of course I don't try to stick my finger in their bunghole.

He died doing what he loved, though. I guess that is really the best any of us can hope for.

[ 09-04-2006, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Chris Hipp ]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-04-2006 02:50 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"In an sad twist, it has been reported that his new documentary was aimed at demystifying the stingray." Link

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-04-2006 05:45 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Hipp
He died doing what he loved, though. I guess that is really the best any of us can hope for.
Exactly. As you say, it's the best any of us can hope for.

quote: Chris Hipp
Edit: I just read a few more articles on it and none of them have been confirmed. The station that they were filming for said that a diver has been killed. It probably is him, but it is still not confirmed.
It be him alright...straight through the wetsuit and into his heart. His associates say it was unprovoked and from what I know of this guy I'd tend to believe it.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2006 06:52 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - labor day news that is shocking.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2006 06:52 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - I am still in shock...

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2006 08:23 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a long while since a headline has surprised me as this one did.

So, now, finally, a nod to his film; an "I told you so" motion toward Timothy Treadwell; and a call to Steve Zissou...

But seriously, sad. Bummer. He put new life into wildlife documentaries. Maybe too much exhibitionism, but at least he attempted to educate.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2006 08:28 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad news indeed.. a tragic turn of events for a man of his stature.

Who would have thought this type accident would happen..? [Frown]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2006 12:16 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about the double post earlier.

Wow, I wanted to mention that I loved Steve's show. It was always a wish of mine to go to the Queensland Zoo and visit the place my family and I have watched on TV so many times before.

As with anyone's passing, I wanted to share my favorite moments that I remember of that person: It was an episode of "The Crocodile Hunter" that was filmed here in the U.S. Steve was searching for the elusive Timber Rattlers of the Eastern US. He had found one and was in the process of getting a closer look at it when he realized he was standing (straddling actually) over a whole nest of them. It was only time that I ever saw Steve cuss on one of his shows. Although they cut the audio portion of it - you can clearly see him mouth the word's 'oh shit'. I had taped the epsiode at one point and used to pause and rewind it and watch it over and over. My wife and I got a big kick out of it.

My 7 year old son actually was upset today when I told him the news of Steve's passing. He will be missed.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2006 01:00 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He was one CRAZY individual!!!

Not too long ago he brought this HUGE King Cobra onto the set of Jay Leno's "Tonight Show". That snake was HUGE...brought on the stage in a wooden crate. Irwin and his crew had a very difficult time controlling this monster...that was REALLY pissed-off and aggressive! Leno was standing on his desk and really keeping his distance and everyone in the front audience rows were a little uncomfortable.

Kutler

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-04-2006 02:00 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis, I liked that episode, too, when the ol' Croc' Hunter was in our land. He alluded to the fact that he wasn't as familiar with the behavior of the various species of snakes in the US as the ones back home, so he was really being careful. That's why stumbling upon that nest like he did made him especially nervous.

We should only life life with half as much passion and zest as Steve Irwin did. His was an incredible personality.

Rest easy, mate.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-04-2006 04:21 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotta' say it was bound to happen. I just thought it would be a croc or a "fierce snake" that would get him.

Everybody has their destinly. I can't help but to think that this is the way Ol' Steve was SUPPSOED to go.

We should all go out and get ourselves an "Oil Can" of Fosters and sing "Tie Me Kangaroo Down" [beer] and raise a glass to Steve's memory.

(Yes, I know Foster's can't hold a candle to V.B. but, in America, "Foster's is Australian for Beeah, Mate!" [Wink] )

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: