Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Whos Needed To Run A Cinema (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Whos Needed To Run A Cinema
Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2006 07:01 AM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As i have been researhing the cinema industry and work at a cinema i want to be able to manage my own cinema, I will be attending a business management couse at a collage etc,

What i want to know to keep things running smooth for the cinema what type of staff will i need?

Managers
Projectionists
Team Members
Accountants
Bookers ( where to look for them )
Cleaners,

any more that i have missed?

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Peter Chobaniuk
Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2006 07:28 AM      Profile for Andrew Peter Chobaniuk   Email Andrew Peter Chobaniuk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
although not on staff
our theatre has a preffered "handy-man"
its a nice thing to have when theres a problem and you can just call the same dependable guy to fix it

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2006 08:34 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are planning on running one location, you should plan on doing many of those positions yourself.

I sell tickets, sell concessions, start the movies, clean the theatres, keep the books, do repairs, ect.

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2006 09:01 AM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Handy men are very good [Smile] , we have one at the cinema i work at,

Matt: do you know of any good book keeping programs for the pc? etc accounting software?

I'll probley be doing some of the stuff, I always think its nice to see a manger do abit of floor work at times,

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2006 10:42 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Quickbooks Pro and a CPA (Ceritified Public Accountant).

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-12-2006 11:32 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Team Members"? [Roll Eyes]

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2006 04:52 PM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
team members = ushers [Big Grin]

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2006 06:19 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have multiple managers it may be a good idea to split their responsibilities (ie marketing, stock, film selection, bar). The number of managers required will depend on the opening hours and other factors.

It is possible to get outside contractors to do some of the tasks (cleaning, maintenance, accounting, film booking) but this can eat away at the finances (although if the film bookers can negotiate a better deal then they may pay for themselves)

quote: Jamie Glossop
Bookers ( where to look for them )
City Screen offer a booking service for independent cinemas.

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2006 06:44 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many screens in the cinema? What is the building layout? What are the opening hours? How experienced are you in the business? How big is your catchment area?

These are probably the main questions you need to answer, then I'd have a good idea of how many staff you would need, and in what capacity. There are far too many variables to give a reasonable answer! I understand that you probably don't have a site in mind at the moment.

Hey, I'll book for you, I'm looking at retiring from the industry next spring and booking is what ex-cinema guys do best! [Wink]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-12-2006 08:00 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jamie Glossop
any more that i have missed?
Some theaters need security guards. One of the theaters in my area was hit by armed robbers three different times. Now that theater has armed guards watch over the place as it opens and closes.

And another thing missed: be sure your school fires some of its professors so they will be available for you to hire as staffers for your theater. They deserve to be fired since you misspelled "college" and didn't capitalize the personal pronoun "I."
[Razz]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-12-2006 08:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
They deserve to be fired since you misspelled "college" and didn't capitalize the personal pronoun "I."
Maybe he's one of those "internet people" who don't think capitals and punctuation and proper spelling, etc. are necessary.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2006 11:06 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whos needed to run a cinema?

Well an audience is kind of vital!

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2006 11:31 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lets see...

Managers (one of more assistants and parttimers)
Ticket Person(s)
Concessionists
Ushers
Booth Person(s)
Janitors
HVAC Contractor
Electrician (when needed)
Plumber (when needed)
Handyman (Handyperson for the PC among us)
Computer Support (from who ever you bought your POS)
Service person for Projection equipment (when needed)
Film Booker (or outside company)
Someone to do advertising (Newspaper, internet, etc)

And an owner who gives a damn.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-13-2006 12:49 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andrew Peter Chobaniuk
our theatre has a preffered "handy-man"
its a nice thing to have when theres a problem and you can just call the same dependable guy to fix it

Yea...that's what I am ... a company "handyman" with a fancy title officially called "Company Engineer"

...fix poppers, soda towers, buttermatts, almost anything electrical, mechanical...et. al. that the "staff" loves to break since they are not shown how to take care of things..

Oh..I also fix projectors, consoles, sound stuff...et.al. on the side - so I can feel that my title has a meaning.

Oh..I also bailed out managers before with their work since I also did manager stuff as well and they weren't trained effectively...

Shoot, come to think of it.I did it all in a cinema...

-Monte

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2006 03:05 AM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andy Muirhead: Its a 4 screen cinema, with 3 floors,

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: