Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Nasa Television & STS-115

Author Topic: Nasa Television & STS-115
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2006 05:12 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I wanted to discuss this topic too!

Seeing as I am not posting a teaser title or a link to where people can find Nasa TV (use google) I reckon I can start new a thread about Nasa TV here.

I have been watching the spacewalks as well as using Satscape to track where the shuttle & station is at any point in time. With some care it is easy to time when it pass over your QTH (location), step outside and see a bright moving start moving across the night sky.

In fact when MIR was passing overhead I even worked MIR using packet radio (transferring of emails & text by radio from computer to computer) and received an acknowledgement card from Russia to prove it! Another of fun things we Ham Radio Operators get up to!

In particular I really enjoyed watching the recent Discovery mission live on Nasa Tv and watching live as Steve Robinson pulled out gap fillers from the Space Shuttle. It was also memorable as an Australian, (who is a great Australian & scientific ambassador & role model)Andy Thomas was on board. It would taken a lot of guts to fly that mission knowing what happend in the previous one. The onboard memorial to the dead Columbia astronauts was genuinely touching too, being framed with a backdrop of the Earth seen from one of the cameras on the Space Station.

The next mission (Atlantis?) sort of slipped by me but I have shown renewed interest in this mission (STS-115)and it was great to see Heidemarie Stefanyshyn-Piper spacewalking and working on the construction of the space station.

I am seriously considering geting a bigger C-band dish so that I can watch the signal from the satellite Intesat 701 but there is talk that Nasa tv might be available on ku band from the satellite NSS-5 in the near fuiture and I could receive a full tv signal using my existing satellite equipment.

The internet and satellite tv has really brought the general public much closer to Nasa's space operations. That and the great space missions such as the Mars Rovers has reinvigorated interest in Space.

I can't wait till we go back to the moon.

cheers Peter

Ps I'm totally addicted too

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Peter Chobaniuk
Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2006 02:27 AM      Profile for Andrew Peter Chobaniuk   Email Andrew Peter Chobaniuk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it was cool to watch Steve MacLean today
Go Canada Go! [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: