Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Sven Nykvist, ASC 1922-2006

Author Topic: Sven Nykvist, ASC 1922-2006
Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-24-2006 06:31 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sven Nykvist, who was legendary director Ingmar Bergman's cinematographer of choice, died on Sept. 20 after a long illness. He was 83. Nykvist died at a nursing home where he was being treated for aphasia, a form of dementia. Nykvist won Academy Awards for best cinematography for the Bergman films "Cries and Whispers" in 1973 and "Fanny and Alexander" in 1982.

Nykvist’s name is routinely coupled with Bergman, one of the masters of modern cinema. Their collaboration stretched over much of three decades. It included such classics as Persona, The Magic Flute, The Hour of the Wolf, Scenes From a Marriage, Winter Light, and Blue Moon.

But his Bergman films comprise just a small part of his life’s work. Nykvist compiled around 100 other credits with many other visually oriented directors, including Louis Malle, Paul Mazursky, Allan Pakula, Roman Polanski, Norman Jewison, Phil Kauffman, Lasse Hallstrom and Woody Allen. His work with these and other directors includes Agnes of God, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Pretty Baby, Willie and Phil, Cannery Row, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Sleepless in Seattle, What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, With Honors, Something to Talk About and Kristin Lavransdatter.

In 1996, Nykvist earned the American Society of Cinematographer's Lifetime Achievement Award, after marking his 50th anniversary as a cinematographer. Nykvist shot his first narrative film in Stockholm, Sweden in 1945, when he was 23. The title was 13 Chairs. His work played a large role in redefining the art of contemporary cinematography.

(compiled from numerous reports)

|  IP: Logged

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2006 11:46 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see if the aholes can turn this thread into the shit fest like the Irwin one. [Roll Eyes]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-24-2006 11:56 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some great films in there. "Crimes and Misdemeanors" and "Gilbert Grape" in particular for me.

RIP Sven Nykvist and thanks for the years of memorable work.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2006 03:22 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was always impressed with DPs who use natural light. For me it always added that extra dimension that truly distinguishes film art. Beyond the Bergman films to the stark realism in "Ivan Denisovich" and the dim interiors in "Kristin Lavransdotter", Sven's work always helped draw me in. He was one of the greats, and he'll be missed.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2006 06:13 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad to lose one of the masters. Bergman is one of my favourite directors and his work with Sven Nykvist is often incomparable.

Bergman's films were some of the first I projected on my first solo projection shifts at a repertory theatre. Those prints were sooooo sharp - amazing.

Thanks for the images, Sven.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2006 04:16 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Barry
Thanks for the images, Sven.
second that RIP

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2006 07:10 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll never forget the photography of "Cries and Whispers" which I saw some years ago at the Melbourne Cinematheque.
It still hanuts me. Great work.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: