Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Using my mobile phone in the US

Author Topic: Using my mobile phone in the US
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-24-2006 09:13 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to a conference in Anchorage next month, and for various reasons it would make my life a whole lot easier if I had the use of a mobile phone for that time. I believe that my handset will work on the US wavelengths (according to the specs, it works on GSM900, DCS1800 and DCS1900), but my existing connection is a 'pay as you go' one which doesn't permit any roaming usage outside the UK.

Does anyone know if it would be possible for me to buy a 'pay as you go' SIM card on arrival (ideally at the airport) and pop it in the phone for the duration of my stay? If not, is there anywhere you can rent a mobile phone for a short period (i.e. six days)? I've rented a mobile in The Netherlands and Germany before from places at the airport, but haven't noticed any such places at US airports - but that might be just because I wasn't looking for them. The cost of outgoing calls is not an issue (I can claim them on expenses and don't anticipate making very many, so I don't mind if the call charges are a ripoff), but the ability to receive incoming calls is essential.

Many thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 09-24-2006 12:11 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recall ever seeing a cell phone kiosk at the (south terminal) Anchorage airport. The north terminal is where international flights arrive and it's pretty sparce there. There are terminal maps on that airport link.

There are a number of cellular places at the Dimond Center and at the 5th Avenue Mall downtown. I'd think you could get a pay-as-you-go plan to use with an existing phone.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-24-2006 12:19 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks Adam. Both of those malls appear to have several phone shops in them, and I guess one of them will be able to sort me out. I'll also have a five-hour transfer wait at Minneapolis on the way out (annoyingly, just not long enough to go into town), and so I'll see if there's anywhere in that airport, too.

Adam Martin

- posted 09-24-2006 12:24 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
(See edit above, too.)

You might have more luck at the Minneapolis airport ... it's a very busy airport and quite large. However, be careful as I've heard that many pay-as-you-go plans limit usage to the lower 48 states. Make sure whatever you find will work in Anchorage.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-25-2006 01:48 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again for the tip. Sounds like a similar situation to here, where in the more remote parts of the country (e.g. the Western Isles of Scotland), some networks have coverage but not others. If I do end up getting anything at Minneapolis I'll check that it has coverage in AK.

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2006 11:46 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow,

If you do end up in the Dimond Center you should pop upstairs and say "hi". I'll give you the nickel tour, not that my booth is all that special (basic Act III, now Regal design), but hey if you're bored...

- Mike

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-27-2006 02:42 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll certainly try to say hello. The reason I'm visiting Anchorage is this conference, which is happening mainly in the Egan Center, with screenings at the Bear Tooth Theater. But I'll certainly try and make it to the Dimond Center if poss.

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2006 11:11 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, sounds like some interesting stuff. The Beartooth is fun, our one and only brew-pub / theater up here. Every other row of seats replaced with "bench" tables so you have someplace to set your pitcher of beer. It's a little run down, was once Regal's dollar house, but not bad.

- Mike

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-27-2006 02:16 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a US/Cingular tri mode phone; a GSM. Worked better in Europe that it does at home! Hope this helps a little. Louis

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-28-2006 03:02 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Cunningham
The Beartooth is fun, our one and only brew-pub / theater up here. Every other row of seats replaced with "bench" tables so you have someplace to set your pitcher of beer.
Cool! No wonder the conference committee chose that place... [beer]

Adam Martin

- posted 09-28-2006 12:36 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Bear Tooth photos I took recently.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: