Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Question about home equity and resale

Author Topic: Question about home equity and resale
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2006 03:49 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As some of you know I bought a house last year. My plan is to live there until about 2009-10 and then sell it to buy a new house. I feel that I got the house below value, a few houses near me have sold for $5-10k more than what I paid (am paying) for mine and they are not in as good of shape. Plus, my house is one of only about five on the street with a two car garage.

My question is this, does the amount of equity I have built up in the house make any difference on the resale? Let's say I pay an extra $5k per year on the principal, so in five years I would end up with $25-30k equity and then I sell it for (random number) $20k over what my mortgage is for.

I am confusing myself here, but what I am basically wanting to know is would it be smarter for me to pay extra on the house and build up equity or spend the money on upgrades like a new AC, remodeling the kitchen and bathrooms, new floors, etc? Spending the money on upgrade would most likely increase the resale value, but it is not a guarantee.

I understand when I decide I want to settle down in a house for the long haul the it is smarter to get the principal down to save on interest.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-24-2006 04:42 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,
you live in one of the few areas of the USA that is still appreciating in value for real estate. Paying against principal for such a short term ( forced savings )would not be a great return. Upgrades are important, especially the last year prior to sale for tax purposes, to increase value. You should ask a local realty type of person what upgrades are important to the local market... in our market kitchens and laundry room upgrades will give more value than a bathroom redo.
You should be enjoying tax advantages of home ownership and use what other money to avoid credit card and other "negative value" debt. Enjoy the "boost" the Dallas market is enjoying; everything has a cycle, it may go up....or down...but it is usually positive, and a hedge on the declining $$$$ buying power.

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2006 06:18 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with all of Richards points. Upgrade. remember though the House should be a reflection of you. Do whatever upgrades you feel will improve the quality of your life. If you've got a low fixed interest rate your better off investing any spare dough you have elsewhere. NEVER use your house as a piggy bank (Refinance) unless you're in Dire straights, it's just not worth it. [beer]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2006 07:52 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tips, guys. I know that I will redo the kitchen at some point just because I hate it. It has the worst layout you could imagine.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2006 08:08 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might ask a real estate agent about where to put your money. Either in fix ups or ??? They know your neighborhood and what your house might sell for with and with out fix ups. They might also be able to advise you as to what is hot in the market place (what people are looking for). Just be sure to wait the 2 years between sells for the tax deduction

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2006 08:09 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In general this will depend on if the house is in a 'buyers market' or a 'sellers market'.

Some features will add more value to the house than others, some may actually decrease the value of the house (in the UK a swimming pool fits into that category because of the maintenance costs).

Be careful on what you spend on upgrades, a decent kitchen will add to the value, however spending double on the kitchen will not necessarily add double the amount to the value.

Do not make over personal alterations to the house, not everybody has the same taste as you.

Remember something that is new now, will not be new in 4-5 years time.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2006 09:29 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris-

When you settle down into the house you want to stay in long term, you may not be better off paying the house off quicker, depending on the interest rate you pay.

If rates are low, long term you are better off investing that money. Historically the market returns about 8% and your returns will compound over time.

For example, if your morgage is 5.5 or 6 percent and your investments 8 or 9, you would be better off investing. Of course if you are paying 8 on the mortage, then it is a wash and your probably better off paying down on the house.

Don't forget you can write off the interest on the mortage as well.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2006 09:55 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you do any remodeling and/or upgrading, don't overbuild your neighborhood. If you have a $200k house and add $25k worth of improvements - you would assume you could get that back out of it when you sell. However, if all of the other houses in the neighborhood are selling for $200k - $210k, you're probably gonna get stuck with it.

A good example of that happened in my own neighborhood several years ago. Here in middle Tennessee (Wilson County)- depending on the neighborhood - $150k - 175k would buy you a 15-20 year old 2,100 sq. ft 3 bedroom ranch on 1 acre in an established neighborhood with mature trees in the yard, etc . about 3-4 years ago. That's what we have. Typically every house in our neighborhood fits that description. About 5 years ago, a guy bought the house and lot 4 lots down from ours and tore down the house and rebuilt a beautiful 4 bedroom, 2 story, all brick, 3,500 sq. ft. house with a 3 car detached garage, exposed aggregate driveway, etc. for alomost $250k+. His wife got sick and they went to sell the house. It sat on the market for a year because they were asking $280k for it. The house next to that one sold during that same time period for $152k, we bought ours for $155k, and finally, they ended up selling it for $171k.

Housing market in our area has now gone completely nuts and everything comparable is selling for over $225k.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-25-2006 10:59 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How not to increase the value of your property (Link to Daily Telegraph news story from 2003, about a Nigerian immigrant who was jailed for building a 'hideous' extension on the back of his Telford semi).

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2006 05:03 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris -

You are almost always better off paying the principle down as quickly as possible. Be very careful of advice to take the money you would pay real estate down with and invest it, which includes fixing up a place for resale. As a general rule, I don't believe it's a good idea to borrow to invest and not paying down a house so you can instead fix it up is basically the same as borowing from a paid-off house so you can do the same upgrade. I think getting completely debt free first is the safest, smartest approach and then you can build piles of cash to invest. It is a slower course, but lower risk. There are, of course, situations where people have borrowed money, fixed up a place, and resold it for a nice profit, but again, this is a risk and I think it is wiser to pay the place down. Many times you don't get out of it what you put in.

And another thing, don't always assume that house payments are a write-off on taxes. This only applies if you itemize your tax deduction and those itemizations exceed your standard deduction. Check with a tax person to be sure before assuming.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2006 10:03 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While it's important to not build negative equity and while it will protect you in a down market to pay down the mortgage (so you don't owe additional money on the house when you sell it), there's nothing wrong with a big mortgage as long as you can afford the monthly payments, especially if you're in a high tax bracket: as someone else posted, the interest on the mortgage is deductible.

So if you have a $200,000 variable mortgage and since interest rates are going up, it averages 9%, you're paying $20K a year. In the early years of the mortgage, it's almost all interest, so you have a $20K deduction. If you're in a combined Fed/State/Local 28% bracket, that will save you $5600 in taxes.

As far as improvements go, most of the already given advice is valid. However, you have to take inflation into account. I spent about $20K on a kitchen about 12 years ago. I don't think I would have gotten an additional $20K if I had sold my place over the past 12 years. However, over those 12 years, the price of an equivalent kitchen has risen to about $40K. So I could easily get $20K or more now incremental because of that kitchen and I've had the use of it for the last 12 years.

In a market where you're sure values are going up, it could even pay to take an interest only mortgage. I did that on the first place I bought because it required almost no closing costs and no paperwork. Although I didn't pay down the mortgage, I knew I would only be living there for a few years. So I paid interest only which was 100% deductible and sold the place for double what I paid four years later. So my ROI was well over 200% over four years (50% per year), far better than anything I've done in the stock market and I got a place to live in the bargain.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: