Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » MPAA goes to the dogs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: MPAA goes to the dogs
Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2006 06:28 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The MPAA now has DVD sniffing dogs! Why don't they just spend their time and money making better movies. They would make a lot more money in the long run.

What's next? Opening everyones mail to see is anyone is even talking about copying?

Story from TV Technology.com click here

MPAA Lets the Dogs Out
The film industry lobby has employed DVD-sniffing dogs in its fight against content piracy.

The Motion Picture Association of America brought the two black Labradors, Lucky and Flo, to its headquarters on Tuesday to show their talents to customs officials and others who want to use them to sniff out optical discs being shipped illegally. After D.C., the MPAA is taking Lucky and Flo on to Los Angeles, the United Kingdom, Singapore, Hong Kong and Dubai.

The tour is an effort to raise interest and demand for these specially trained canines in assisting those who guard U.S. airports, ports and borders.

Lucky and Flo have been trained to detect the smell of DVDs, but are unable to distinguish between CDs and DVDs and pirated discs. The plan is to have the dogs detect the DVDs and to have customs check the discs against the items people have legitimately declared.

The dogs are part of MPAA's multipronged approach to fighting piracy, which it says cost the industry $18.2 billion last year. Of that number, MPAA said more than $11 million is attributable to hard goods. Other approaches the MPAA is taking against piracy includes educating people about the consequences of piracy and taking action against Internet thieves.

The K-9 project began in 2004 when the MPAA took on a limited feasibility study to determine whether dogs could be trained to detect polycarbonate and other chemicals used in optical discs. Lucky and Flo were trained in Northern Ireland and put to the test in June 2006 after eight months of training. Their first test at Stansted Airport in Essex County, England, was a success.

"Lucky and Flo have helped us prove that if we think outside of the box, we can find new and interesting ways to assist law enforcement and customs officials around the world to stop illegal shipments of counterfeit DVDs from making their way across borders," said Dan Glickman, chairman and CEO of the MPAA. "These two animals are armed with an amazing scent that can help us in our fight against optical disc piracy."

|  IP: Logged

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2006 06:42 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh that's sad.
quote: Bruce Hansen
The K-9 project began in 2004 when the MPAA took on a limited feasibility study to determine whether dogs could be trained to detect polycarbonate and other chemicals used in optical discs.
So they'd sniff out my glasses, which are polycarbonate. Shiments of plastic beer pitchers (the ones we had at the bowling alley were polycarbonate). And they'd sniff out innumerable other items made of or containing polycarbonates.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2006 07:07 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, what if I make a copy of a movie that I purchased and take it with me instead of risking my original copy being damaged or lost?

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2006 07:18 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll be arrested and put in a mexican prison. Don't leave your house, the MPAA enforcment team will be at your house in a few minutes, put on some clothes.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 09-29-2006 08:05 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This pisses me off. Terrorists are trying to bring nuclear weapons into this country. Some from Al Quaida claim that they already have - through the Mexican border, surprise surprise - and are planning to use them soon... and we're wasting time searching for DVDs? Are you freakin kidding me? I think the country's customs officials and border security personnel have more important things to worry about.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-29-2006 08:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last I heard, the MPAA was not the agency trying to weed out the terrorists. They're after the PIRATES. (Sorry, movie thieves.)

Besides, customs people are not all that concerned with bombs. They're more concerned with non-declared stuff (IOW: No duty paid) in bags and/or on people.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2006 08:57 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT: Well Mike just beat me to the punch by a minute or two.

Yes, but the MPAA still has some measure of validity if a nuke goes off in Dallas or Denver or even Los Angeles. They, however, loose big credibility if suddenly they can't stop pirated films in those cities.

Point is this: As assinine as it is (and it IS), everybody is basicly just doing there job. [sleep]

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2006 09:24 PM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting approach I suppose...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-29-2006 11:51 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, anti-freeze is pretty cheap and dogs loooove the taste of it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-30-2006 12:23 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
UnFUCKINGbelieveable! The MPAA is flat out pathetic these days.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-30-2006 11:17 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is not reasonable to believe that dogs can differentiate between DVDs or anything else made of polycarbonate plastic.

But it IS reasonable to believe that law abiding citizens may carry around several different things made from polycarbonate, on their person or in their luggage.

It is also reasonable to assume that the great majority of people walking around in an airport ARE law abiding citizens.

Thus, logic says that polycarbonate-sniffing dogs will target many, many more law abiding citizens than bootleggers. In fact, it is reasonable to assume that bootleggers will just avoid airports or any other place where they have these dogs.

Therefore, the MPAA knows or SHOULD KNOW that they are violating the rights of law abiding citizens who have NOTHING to do with piracy or bootlegging every time they use one of these dogs to sniff for supposed contraband.

The MPAA is opening themselves up to a HUGE lawsuit if they continue this policy!

Andbody want to make some money? Just load up a suitcase with blank CDs and walk around an airport with them and wait for the dogs to come and sniff your bags! [evil]

I really can't believe they are THAT stupid! This MUST be a bluff!... Or else somebody is pulling our chains. [Roll Eyes]

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2006 02:22 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or any other polycarbonate items Randy. That way when they do open your bags up, they can't claim that the blank discs were intended for illegal purposes. Make it someting silly, like a "top theatre" polycarbonate award, or something.

Andrew Peter Chobaniuk
Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2006 06:27 AM      Profile for Andrew Peter Chobaniuk   Email Andrew Peter Chobaniuk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
whenever i see their "I - Inappropriate for all ages" ads I laugh

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-02-2006 04:24 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both the RIAA and the MPAA are completely lying about the effect that any supposed piracy has had on their income.

They claim they lose billions to this piracy each year. What they never make clear is that if they stopped all pirated versions of their music and films, they would not take in any extra money. In fact, they actually spend more on trying to stop piracy then they would ever get in additional income if they stopped ALL the piracy.

The majority of people who download music, movies, or buy pirated copies and the like, either will never or just cannot afford to buy the originals from the studios in the first place.

Take this analogy...

A town has but one place to eat steak, and it is great. Everyone loves the steak. One day someone figures out how to make a steak that is just as great, and starts selling it for less somewhere else. they cook it the same and people swear it is the same, but is only a fourth of the price. The original place now wants to sue the shit out of the new place for copying their idea of selling steak.

First of all, the other place can only serve so many at once, so the cheap bastards go there, leaving the rich snob jackasses to eat at the original place. The original place isn't losing any money at all, they just want to be the only steak place period. They don't want just anyone having steak, just people who can afford it.

The original steak place is a total bastard. They don't want poor people and theives to ever have steak. They are selfish and should be shot. They should be strung up and skinned alive, and their skins used as toboggans during the colder months in the norther part of the United States, becaused they live in marble houses with swimming pools filled with dolphins. They hope that poor people all just die so they can use their bones as ground up pebbles for their concrete sidewalks. What kind of a person lives with dolphins and uses ground up people for sidewalks? Sick people these are, very very sick.

So there's my point.

Ciao

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-02-2006 12:21 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People CAN afford to buy legitimate DVDs. Hell, they afford to buy everything else they want. People who have no money at all can still always afford the five basic essentials of life: Satellite TV, cigarettes, booze, tattoos and a cell phone.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: