Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Video card for WinXP (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Video card for WinXP
Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2006 03:58 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some incredible brains on this site. Right now, I am not one of them. [Big Grin]

I am wanting to buy a video card for this Dell GX-110 with WINXP installed. The child at Best Buy had no clue as to what I am doing.

I want a composite NTSC video, and L and R audio inputs. Need to start copying some old family video to DVD to preserve them. I have a DVD burner installed, and have downloaded most of what I need to run it properly.

Anybody got a unit I can get, or, can anybody recommend something that I can use that won't rip me a new orifice? (in other words, inexpensive / cheap)

|  IP: Logged

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2006 05:43 PM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe something like this?

Seems like an easy option for basic video capture, but maybe someone else has a better idea.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2006 06:35 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a little confused as to what you looking for. Do you want a video card (output to your monitor) or do you want a video capture card to convert your videos? If you want or need BOTH, then possibly an ATI ALL-IN-WONDER card which gives you a decent video and also video/audio capture ability. If you just want to capture your audio/video, then Pinnacle offers some nice cards. It sounds like an external USB 2 version would do you best. Pinnacle makes one of the better, less expensive capture cards. A card in the $100-$150 range would do nicely. It also comes with pretty decent software to edit and author your videos. Avoid the $39.99 Dazzle crap. Pinnacle is carried by Best Buy.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-30-2006 06:38 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do a search on Newegg.com for USB video devices - like this device It's a device that simply plugs into the USB port and the other ends, being RCA, taps into the L/R and audio outputs of your source machine. I think that these units don't even hit 50 bucks...but by the one review, the resolution size could be a hinderance,

These ADS Tech devices like this device might be more than one wants to spend, but will do larger screen resolutions and is more reliable.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2006 06:54 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The link to that first usb device, junk...avoid it. The 2nd item monte linked to may be ok. For the same price however, I'd still go with a Pinnacle. You can buy it locally and try it out to see if it works for you..if you buy it via the internet, its a long process to get a retun/exchange done.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2006 07:04 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just buy a VHS to DVD standalone unit? You wont get the deluxe menu options as you would with doing it the other way, but at least this way, you just put the tape in, set the quality recording, and hit the record button. I'd be wary of those other options unless your computer was top notch, having to deal with dropped frames and all that. The standalone unit I bought at costco cost me $175 or so and works great.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2006 07:07 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have about 20 hours of OLD 16mm, 8mm silent film transfers (with music added by ME in 1984) to transfer to DVD's from VHS Hi-Fi. I'm not worried about the computer monitor, so I think I need the capture card system. I don't have much loot these days, but I am getting by. $150 is a bit out of my range right now. Yeah, I know, thats not much to spend on a computer.

I need 6 copies of each disc. One for each section of the family.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2006 07:21 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cheapest you might get by with is about $100. If you have to goto the $39.99 USB unit...I wouldnt bother. You wont be happy with the quality at all.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2006 10:57 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Frank. Go with the Pinnacle. When I worked at Best Buy (in the Geek Squad), Pinnacle was the product that I always recommonded to my customers when they had a similar issue.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2006 08:42 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Gonzalez
When I worked at Best Buy (in the Geek Squad)
You are no longer considered a human. Please proceed to the nearest extermination chamber, where you will be de-loused, and possibly sent back to your home planet.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2006 01:05 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey at least I went to college toward getting a degree in Computer Science and was well on my way to getting A+ certification before I got back into the theater business. That is more than what could be said for a lot of the other Geek Squad employees that I met. I could tell many horror stories.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2006 01:52 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell, tell.... [Big Grin] (probably better to start a new thread though).

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2006 09:14 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as I said before, I met one idiot at Best Buy. Thanks for all the information. I'm going to make my relatives help me PAY for this stuff. They all want copies, but they are almost as cheap (tight) as I am.

My VHS copies are just as old as what the relatives all have, but mine are not worn out. What am I doing different?

I could say I use FilmGuard on them, but you'd know I was a total liar.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2006 07:22 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I have a better suggestion. I bought a DVD burner from Sam's Club for about $100.00 and I just hook up my old VCR to it (front AV jacks) and burn some of old tapes (mostly sporting events) on to disks. A couple of bucks more than the other options but the burner is something that you may be able use more often.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2006 07:24 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's what I suggested, or are you talking about a dvd drive with rca inputs?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: