Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Door opening question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Door opening question
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2006 08:53 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it that so many people will not open the second door when entering or exiting through a double door?

I can only think of three explanations:

1. People are lazy
2. It is considered rude(?)
3. people are sheep and are confused with why no other person has tried using the other door and to spare themselves from looking foolish they take no action.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-30-2006 10:23 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand. If I'm walking by myself through a double door, and only need to open 1 of them to get through, why would I open both of them? [Confused]

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2006 10:53 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Chris had a long line that annoyingly chose to file through one of the possible two doors, rather than opening a larger opening for the saunter out...

I call into question the same logic of drivers who refuse to use the left lane a passing lane. [Roll Eyes]

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2006 10:53 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless your just kidding David what I think Chris is referring to is that if a crowd of people like say a group of people exiting a theater after a show, the entire line of people will go out through the same door of the double door instead of using both doors and thus being able to exit easier and faster.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-30-2006 11:05 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is that most people, being sheep, follow along with the crowd.

It is traditional to always enter or exit through the right hand side of a set of double hung doors. That way, people don't run into each other.

Most people in a crowd don't want to break tradition.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2006 11:43 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is what I mean.

There are ten people exiting single file through one side of the double door. One person needs to enter through the same set of doors, but instead of opening the other door they will stand there and wait for the whole line to go through and then use the same door.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-30-2006 11:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well in that situation, I think I would stand and wait for the people to come out, just out of courtesy. There is always the chance that one of the cattle will break free of the herd and bust through the second door, risking injury to my person.

We have four, count'em four sets of double doors in the front of our building. (Two sets inner, and two outer.) We usually prop at least half, and sometimes all, of them open at the end of a show (depending on crowd size). If we somehow forget to do this, without fail the crowd will ALL squeeeeeze through one door, even though they could easily push on any of the other doors to open them.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-01-2006 01:43 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the situation that Chris gave, I go for option #4: Some people are freakin' morons! When I go into a place that has double doors, I don't care if people are coming out... I'll use the other door to go in. That's usually how it works, anyway. So far this has caused no catastrophes, but then again people know I will ruin their shit if they mess with me.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2006 02:31 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or, when we had one of our doors break, the closer broke, we locked it. But we had the 2nd door, in the double door set, unlocked and usable, not to mention, I'd also unlock the exit doors, which are with the entrance doors, to add a 3/4 chance of them getting in. Yet people will go to the locked door, and tug, and tug, and jiggle, adn cup their hand on their brow and look in, and jiggle, and knok. I can't tell you how many customers I had to go show that the other doors open too. I tell you, must come from drinknig out of the local river or something.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2006 01:10 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, it because of public edu'ma'cation. [Razz]

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2006 04:43 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
but then again people know I will ruin their shit if they mess with me.

That's funny stuff and I'm not being sarcastic. You made me laugh out loud all by my lonesome, which is not usual.

quote: Charles Greenlee
Or, when we had one of our doors break, the closer broke, we locked it.
Whoah, don't let the fire marshall read that. I think you need to keep all doors free to open and if the closer breaks, you just make sure you close it when the show starts, until you can get it fixed. Here, our doors are required to close on their own and never be propped open for fire reasons, but if a closer breaks you must keep a door opening freely until you can get it fixed.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-01-2006 10:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That must be the reason for those dopey "This door must be unlocked during business hours" signs you see all over the place. Apparently they need to tell the employees which doors to unlock?!

Rick Hunter
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2006 02:41 AM      Profile for Rick Hunter   Email Rick Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
It is traditional to always enter or exit through the right hand side of a set of double hung doors. That way, people don't run into each other.
Maybe in the northern hemisphere...<g>

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2006 11:50 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chad Souder
Whoah, don't let the fire marshall read that. I think you need to keep all doors free to open and if the closer breaks, you just make sure you close it when the show starts, until you can get it fixed. Here, our doors are required to close on their own and never be propped open for fire reasons, but if a closer breaks you must keep a door opening freely until you can get it fixed.
Not locked where the pushbar won't open them, but locked where pulling the handle from outside won't open them. If a fire starts, and you go running an screaming into the door, and hit the bar, it will let you through, no violations here.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2006 07:54 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, that clarifies it. You mean latched, not locked.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: