Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Vancouver International Film Festival

Author Topic: Vancouver International Film Festival
Andrew Peter Chobaniuk
Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2006 06:25 AM      Profile for Andrew Peter Chobaniuk   Email Andrew Peter Chobaniuk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working it all next week, not as a projectionist tho [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2006 09:03 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused]

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2006 03:35 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you worked as a projectionist for a film festival before, Andrew?

If you have not, I'll tell you it's a challenge...making up and breaking down more prints in a day than some theatres do in a week, properly working with prints shipped on cores (and, sometimes, no cores at all [Mad] ), working with both film and video, etc. You have to think on your feet and put in the extra effort to do film (and video) right. Film festivals are sometimes the only opportunity for the public to see certain movies, so the projectionist's role in making the opportunity worthwhile is definitely not to be taken lightly.

Good luck! [thumbsup]

(PS: You may want to change the topic name to something a little more descriptive.)

Andrew Peter Chobaniuk
Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2006 01:52 AM      Profile for Andrew Peter Chobaniuk   Email Andrew Peter Chobaniuk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ive never worked it before
but my GM told me that the booth is pure mayhem
last night a reel was put on backwards and they cancelled the show, not sure why, give me 15 mins and its fixed

its interesting working downtown at granville, completely different style of complex than my home theatre in north van. theyre both empire theatres now, but at one time granville was ciniplex odeon and esplanade (my theatre) was Famous Players

granvile has 7 cinemas
esplanade has 6

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2006 10:41 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've worked the Melbourne International Film Festival both this year and last. We averaged 5 shows on weekdays and 7 on Saturdays. It's not hard, you just need to get things rolling right. There was mostly 2 of us on at a time (changeovers).

The only problems I ecountered was our 3pm show on the first day still had not arrived by 2pm. I was constantly told every 10 mins right to till 2:45 pm that it was on it's way. Well it never showed up and I had 10 mins to make up another print to screen in it's place.
Also a short film had not arrived and it was still on the platter at another venue and I had less than half an hour to rush over there and get it off. Just got back in time (actually they had given up on me and started the slide show). It screened off the core from a split reel.

And yes many prints without cores and some without leaders and others back to front, etc.

At one festival many years ago an Iranian film shown on 2 6000ft reels was started on reel 3 (it was a 5 reeler), screened all the way towards the end of reel 5 with end credits near approaching. Wasn't till this point, when the projectionist went to thread the next reel, that he realized the error, threaded up lightning fast and changed over to the first reel. That ran all the way through till the end of reel 2 which he then switched back to the remainder of the last reel. The 500+ audience scratched their heads and many stormed out in riot mode.

But festivals are fun and you do get to see a variety of films that one would not get to experience at the local multiplex.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2006 06:21 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive worked at a few festivals, the London and Sydney would be the highlights, London at the National Film Theatre which had no problems at all!!!!

And the Sydney at the 1927 2000 seat State Theatre

-

which for me was always a battle against the silly 1970s automation when doing 2000 ft spools, pretty theatre but [Big Grin]

Ian Woloschin
Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2006 06:52 AM      Profile for Ian Woloschin   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Woloschin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think if I were to be doing a film festival I would hope there were two projectors capable of changeovers rather than a platter. Might make for more work during the movie, but also makes for a lot more opportunities to fix any problems you cause [Wink] .

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: