Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » One mans protest at quality of current films (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: One mans protest at quality of current films
Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2006 06:32 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is from 9 msn here in australia

US theatre shuts down to protest Jackass
Tuesday Oct 3 19:23 AEST
AP - A small-town theatre owner says he was not trying to send Hollywood a message when he shut down for two weeks rather than show box-office leader Jackass 2 or other new releases that he calls "drivel."

But even if accidental, Greg Boardman's blank-screened protest is getting a thumbs up from movie-goers who long for family fare and jeers from others who say his theatres are one of the few diversions - especially for children - in this farming town of about 6,000 people.

Offerings such as Beerfest and the Jackass sequel briefly landed a "Closed" sign on the marquee outside Boardman's Lorraine Theatre.

"The movies are so bad and I don't need the money ... I just didn't think I should use my high-quality facilities to show people vomiting on screen," said Boardman, whose theatres boast a high-tech, eight-channel digital sound system.

Jackass features Johnny Knoxville and his gang performing crazy stunts and antics, often involving self-inflicted pain; Beerfest revolves around fictional siblings who participate in an Olympics-style drinking competition.

The 84-year-old, 500-seat Lorraine in downtown Hoopestown reopened Friday, showing Disney's football biopic Invincible, while an 85-seat sister theatre down the street relit its screen with Sony's animated kids movie Open Season.

Hoopeston native PJ Clingenpeel said the projectors should never have been turned off in the first place. He said the two-week shutdown only hurt children in this town where Boardman's movie houses and a skating rink are about all they have to do outside of school and sports.

"All he did was ruin a lot of kids' weekends. That's why I think he's a crybaby," said Clingenpeel, a 30-year-old welder.

Boardman says he is sorry that darkened screens cut into the town's limited entertainment options. But he says he will shut down again if faced with a similar batch of films, adding that contractual issues with the studios - such as guarantees on first-week receipts - sometimes limit his options.

Boardman grew up near Hoopeston but now runs his theatres from his home near Fresno, California. He says shutting down the theatres was based strictly on his personal standards, not censorship or an effort to shelter people in the small town.

Over the years, his theatres have screened controversial films such as Brokeback Mountain and plenty of action movies, he said. And during the shutdown, the Lorraine's customer hot line told callers they could catch Jackass 2 at theatres in nearby Danville.

"There are enough theatres carrying movies like Jackass that if people want to see them they can ... The problem now is that there are too few good movies, movies that transplant you to another place," Boardman said in a telephone interview.

Yvonne Green, who manages the Lorraine, said the shutdown sent a ripple of anxiety through Hoopeston because Boardman has been trying to sell the theatres and many townspeople thought they were closing for good.

Most were understanding when she explained the shutdown was temporary, said Green, who was paid during the two weeks the theatres were closed. She also said she backs Boardman's decision, based on the movies he had to chose from.

"They're just not good. I just don't know how to say it and not say anything nasty," Green said. "They just weren't appropriate for anyone to see."

Paramount Pictures, which produced the Jackass sequel, did not immediately return a call for comment Friday.

Boardman said the shutdown was not a veiled message to moviemakers and he doubts studios will take notice, despite national media attention that followed the temporary closing.

"I think I'm way too small to make any kind of statement to Hollywood," Boardman said.

©AAP 2006

|  IP: Logged

Matt Barth
Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2006 07:54 AM      Profile for Matt Barth   Email Matt Barth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this story a while ago and wondered if he really had such a poor relationship with his booker. That statement is said by someone though who has not worked for a non-corporate theater.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-03-2006 07:55 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he's the owner he can choose what he shows; is there really not a single film that he's prepared to screen? Did he consider showing foreign films, or classic ones, for example. It seems difficult to believe that there really was nothing available that he was prepared to show. If he is trying to sell the theatres, could it be that he is trying to drive bown box office figures, to justify closure, and sale for some other use?

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2006 09:33 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are certainly other options he could have chosen, such as running a mini-film festival of classic films for a week, or a foreign film, etc. This did nothing but hurt his employees.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2006 10:15 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And made himself look like a big douchebag as well. Sure JAckass might not be up to his standards, but other people like it and it was the #1 film it's opening weekend. Besides, there's been even worse movies out there the past few years and he hasn't closed for those probably.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-03-2006 08:20 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mitchell and Mike. That owner (assuming he did't pay salaries/wages for the closed period) only hurt his employees and the theatre's clientele that would have liked to have seen the film. Oh, and his selling position for a prospective buyer cuz of lower revenue.

But! Perhaps a savvy buyer would realize the stupidity of the seller and cater to the varied tastes of the patrons and show ALL popular films and make a great profit...and keep his employees employed.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2006 12:37 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read that he is/was paying his employees when he closed down. He also claims that what he is doing isnt censorship. I dont know if I agree with that. It sounds like he doesnt personally agree with the material, so he wont let anyone else see it either. He lost money and he probably lost a few customers too. All it takes is a customer to go somewhere else once to see what the competition is like, and you could lose them forever.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2006 01:31 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its an interesting way to get a lot of publicity, It probably resonates strong christian and family values ect, Its hard to say what impact it would have on his market, but only he would understand that with all those years of running that cinema.

Also it gives the town a chance to see what it would be like without the screens, afterall you often dont know what you have got until its gone.

A smart thing to do? or idiotic? My opion is that it is probably both!!!!

To aspire to be a family cinema (ie a place that the whole family can go)is a nice idea in the right area, a small town of 6000 people, a large single screen and a small moveover house. That Hollywood should supply/ make more product for this market makes financial sence, as the sell through DVD market for these movies is very strong and profitable in its own right.

As for censorship I dont think so, As a cinema owner I think he is being sensible. I feel that you should pick films that you think the bulk of your market would like, not offend. You cannot be everything to everybody, Adults dont want to be around teenages on a saturday night and vica versa, hence the family market.

Anyway love him or hate him, his actions have make me think outside the square.

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2006 03:00 AM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure who’s side I'm on. While I agree that Jackass does not totally deserve one of my theatres 350 seats, dts equipped thx certified auditoriums and I keep asking my self WHY this is on the movie screen it does get a group of people together to overall enjoy them selves weather it be shocked and disgusted or falling out of the seat laughing. Sure, like this theater owner I would love to have more films I like and can get completely lost in as well as enjoy presenting but I'm not sure what he did is the best message to send to the production companies.

It just seems like the "But mom! I don't wanna!!" Approch. Personally, I'm learning to make good films because I want to see better films.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2006 03:25 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Cameron Glendinning
As for censorship I dont think so, As a cinema owner I think he is being sensible.
Check on the definition of censorship. It is. As far as being a sensible cinema owner...well...since when does NOT booking the #1 movie in america become sensible? He lost a LOT of money, possibly a few customers...but what did he gain? He made the news and caused a few people to roll their eyes at his conservative views on entertainment. If it were up to this guy, I bet women would still be wearing knee length swimming suits at the beach.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2006 04:31 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not censorship and I'm not sure which definition you are referring to, Frank. This particular gentleman is not restricting anyone from seeing the movie, he is merely making it a little less convenient. The movie, in it's entirety, is still easily accesible. As a business owner you have control over the products you sell. I have no problem with the actions Boardman took. In a way, it's refreshing to see someone choosing to make a statement, however small, rather than chase the easy buck. I agree that he could have showed another picture, but being closed makes a news story, which is obviously his intent.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2006 05:18 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why didn't he do this for Wicker Man, RV, or you Me Dupree? Those were all equally as bad if not worse.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-04-2006 09:33 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Heenan
Why didn't he do this for Wicker Man, RV, or you Me Dupree?
Those were just bad. Not disgusting.

It's kinda stupid really...he lost a few bucks being closed, and he's certainly not going to make it up with "more" business from his little publicity stunt. The same people will still go to the movies as before. I'd rather be open and entertain the folks. Some people will like any movie no matter how bad it is.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2006 11:18 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CHAD:

cen·sor - A person authorized to examine books, films, or other material and to remove or suppress what is considered morally, politically, or otherwise objectionable.

cen‧sor‧ship - the act or practice of censoring.

Sounds like it to me.....He withheld a movie that HE deemed unfit for people to see....OR it was unfit according to his standards, so he did not book it and let anyone else see it and judge for themselves.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2006 11:27 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well some think that Wicker Man is disgustingly bad so... [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: