Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Plane hits NY apartment high rise

Author Topic: Plane hits NY apartment high rise
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2006 10:56 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Click here for the story

quote:
Aircraft hits New York building
Two people have died after the small aircraft they were flying in crashed into a high-rise apartment block in New York City's affluent Upper East Side.

The two killed were New York Yankees baseball pitcher Cory Lidle and his flying instructor, officials from the baseball club said.

The plane's impact caused a fireball, which set two floors of the 50-storey building on Manhattan island ablaze.

Despite initial fears of terrorism the crash has been ruled an accident.

The New York Fire Department said the aircraft struck the 20th floor of the building on East 72nd Street and York Avenue - identified as the Belaire, a prestigious residential tower.

Local resident Mark Schaffer told the BBC News website that he saw the moment the Cirrus SR20 hit from his building across the street.

"I looked up when I heard a low flying plane and saw it as it crashed," Mr Schaffer said. "The rear half of the plane broke off and fell to the ground in flames. Glass sprayed out everywhere and people were screaming."

Falling debris

The plane was owned by Lidle, whose passport was found at the scene of the crash, police officials said.

"This is a terrible and shocking tragedy that has stunned the entire Yankees organisation," baseball club owner George Steinbrenner said in a statement confirming the player's death.

"I offer my deep condolences and prayers to his wife Melanie and son Christopher on their enormous loss."

The impact of the plane caused a loud noise and sent burning debris plummeting down onto the street below.

Over 100 emergency workers rushed to the scene, while firefighters shot streams of water at the flames from the lower floors.

A New York police spokesman said that the while suicide could not be ruled out, there was nothing to suggest that this had been the cause of the crash, which is being investigated as an accident.

In a press conference shortly after the crash, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg sought to quell fears of any connection to a terrorist attack.

"There is nothing to suggest that anything remotely like terrorism was involved in this," he said.

9/11 flashbacks

Nonetheless fighter planes were scrambled over several cities across the US in the aftermath of the crash.

And the incident has evoked memories of the 11 September 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center for many New Yorkers.

HAVE YOUR SAY
Within seconds the sirens started and the avenue was blocked up
Maya, New York

Witness Joshua Asquith told the BBC news website: "Everybody was really shocked here, we thought of a terrorist attack. There was also a lot of noise and dust around here, causing an atmosphere of terror and fear."

Roger Gosden, another eyewitness, told the BBC that "everyone in the street looked up [after hearing the crash], perhaps having flashbacks of 9/11".

On Wall Street, stocks initially fell on news of the crash, but quickly recovered when it became clear that the incident was most likely an accident.

Are you near the scene of the crash? Send your comments and experiences in using the form below.

You can send pictures and video to: yourpics@bbc.co.uk or to send via MMS please dial +44 (0)7725 100 100.

Name:
Email address:
Town and Country:
Phone number (optional):
Comments:
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/americas/6042306.stm

Published: 2006/10/12 03:07:00 GMT

© BBC MMVI

EDIT= sorry Brad.

[ 10-14-2006, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Andrew McCrea ]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-12-2006 12:48 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this is me just being picky, but you really should put the news article in between QUOTE tags so that it doesn't look like you wrote that article.

Ian Woloschin
Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2006 06:52 AM      Profile for Ian Woloschin   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Woloschin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got kind of pissed off at some of the article titles about this...

I was reading, I think on Digg, and I just saw "PLANE HITS NYC BUILDING" and I just kind of instantly felt a little bit sick. After I hesitantly clicked on the article and read it, and realized it was either a freak accident or an act of complete stupidity, I felt a little better, but still, having a title that sounds like a bunch of crazies are blowing up more buildings with planes is so not cool.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2006 09:44 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some follow-up radio news reports add details.

The plane's engine ended up in an apartment, while the debris that fell below contained the plane's undeployed parachute and the expended explosive cannister that was supposed to activate the emergency parachute. (I hadn't known that some new high-tech small planes carry an airplane chute.)

The smoke from the tail that witnesses described may have come, I surmise, from that fired cannister. One reporter speculated that perhaps when the pilots realized they were in trouble, their altitude may have been too low to effectively deploy the parachute.

My thought just now: Could the firing of that charge have damaged the plane's tail rudder control, causing the plane to veer from its course following the East River, to slam into the apartment house on Manhattan Island?

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2006 10:22 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but a plane still hit a NYC building... I dont think the header is so bad. At least no ones questioning whether the guy converted to Islam recently. [Roll Eyes]

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2006 10:58 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heenan: P-L-E-A-S-E consider using the quote function so that your posts have context!!! I don't know how many times I've read a post of yours thinking you're answering the closing question from the post that precedes yours only to realize that you're commenting on a post from much earlier in the discussion.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2006 01:13 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coate, get a life.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2006 09:00 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that two blonds decided to do a copy cat terrorist suicide run at a building in NY. The only problem was that they hijacked a blimp instead of a plane and kept bouncing off the building

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2006 04:05 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Heenan
Coate, get a life.

It figures you'd insult the messenger and ignore the message.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: