Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Yikes - All Three of the New TV Shows I Was Watching Are (Or Soon Will Be) History (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Yikes - All Three of the New TV Shows I Was Watching Are (Or Soon Will Be) History
Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2006 09:42 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This fall I started watching three new TV shows. All are or were continuing stories.

The first to go - in fact it is already gone after just three episodes - is Smith with Ray Liotta. It faired about as well as NBC's Heist from this spring. Both Smith and Heist were essentially the same show.

Next on the chopping block is "Kidnapped" which has already been pulled from Wednesday nights. In my opinion Kidnapped is the best show I have seen since the first few episodes of 24 (when it originally began). According to published sources Kidnapped is being relegated to the Saturday night wasteland and producers have been told to wrap up the storyline by the end of the 13 episodes which have been contracted for.

No word yet on what is up with Runaway but that has been moved from Mondays to Sunday nights. Got the feeling that it too is headed for the graveyard.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2006 10:55 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Add to that STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIP, which I've heard has not attracted nearly as many people as its lead-in show, HEROES. STUDIO 60 is one of the best shows on TV, and HEROES reaches a level of stupidity not seen since EARTH: FINAL CONFLICT. But guess which one is guaranteed for the remainder of the season. Oh, people... [Frown]

[ 10-13-2006, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Mike Schindler ]

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2006 09:37 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CBS sticks to using old actors & crime scene stuff. ABC usues Disney-veiled sex or over-produced dramas with anonymous greater themes. NBC has a bunch of shows which feature NBC as a model for a plot.

CBS wins because they've got CSI & everyone's addicted to it. ABC gets new viewers & weeds them out with shows like Extreme Home Makeover for schlock-value. Hipsters watch NBC for The Office & My Name is Earl (is Scrubs still new on there?).

When will we have the CSI movie? [Razz]

I don't even watch FOX anymore. I wait for Family Guy on Adult Swim.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 10-13-2006 12:28 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heroes is not nearly as lame as you make it out to be. It's very comic booky and yeah, has its good share of weak dialogue, but suspend some disbelief for awhile... it's about people who develop superhero powers. What do you expect?

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2006 01:57 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott D. Neff
Heroes is not nearly as lame as you make it out to be.
Uhhh, yeah it is. Boooooooooring [puke]

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2006 02:06 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no problem with HEROES' premise. THE 4400 has almost the exact same premise, and it's one of the best shows on TV right now. What THE 4400 doesn't have is really really bad writing.

SPOILER:

How many times is that cheerleader gonna die? I've seen one episode all the way through, and bits and pieces of the other two while my girlfriend was watching them, and by my count, she's been violently killed accidentally at least twice. I'm gonna assume it happened to her prior to the first episode as well, since she had to find out about this power somehow. Doesn't that seem a bit convenient? They should start calling her Lois Lane. Or even better, Kenny.

The sad part is, you look at the talent involved and they've got some of the top creators in the comic book industry working on that damn show. The last episode was written by Jeph Loeb! When did he start to suck?

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 10-13-2006 05:25 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The show starts with her knowing she can't be killed. So she spends a lot of time injuring herself to see just how far her powers extend.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2006 06:44 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER

I get that, and that's fine. But (and I might be wrong about this) in episode 2, doesn't some football player accidentally break her neck? And then in episode 3, doesn't she fall off some bleachers while being date-raped and accidentally land on a piece of wood which rams through the back of her skull? That's not experimentation. It's really bad luck. And really bad writing.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 10-16-2006 01:44 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prepare yourself for the most mature response ever:

BAH!!! [Big Grin]

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2006 02:21 PM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am also addicted to Heroes. I guess it's one of those hit-or-miss shows. Some people like it, some people won't.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2006 10:11 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Prepare yourself for the most mature response ever:

BAH!!!

I can accept that. [beer]

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2006 08:14 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Runaway is officially now gone.

It was moved to Sunday night against Desperate Housewives to give it "a chance" [Eek!] and lasted exactly one week.

But just think cancelling all these dramas early means we can get more reality shows.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2006 01:37 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And speaking of reality shows . . .

Just heard yesterday on Fox Radio News that NBC officially announced it will no longer air anything but reality in its 8:00 - 9:00 block on weeknights. Not clear when this will start (perhaps it already has - I don't know).

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 10-25-2006 04:17 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I could probably find out easy enough on Google... I'd like you to tell me.

What's goin on with Apprentice? Why have I heard nothing???

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2006 06:16 AM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I haven't read anything about it, I predict The Apprentice will return in the Spring. Unless Trump said he's made enough money, there probably will be another one.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: