Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » CRT monitor ghosting

Author Topic: CRT monitor ghosting
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-13-2006 07:36 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I am not talking about moiré or convergence problems. MY CRT monitor LaCie electron22blueIII) has apparently developed this strange ghosting effect. If you have a dark vertical line, there is a light ghost or series of ghosts to its right.
They can just about be seen in this picture.

-

My notebook is in repair so right now, I don't have another video source to hook up the monitor to to doublecheck that it isn't caused by the graphics card. Has anyone come across this effect before?

|  IP: Logged

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2006 07:51 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen that from poor quality or damaged cables or KVM switches. The VGA signal goes up to very high frequencies and reflections in the cable end up causing ghosting. The difference in impedance at a damaged section of cable can cause part of the signal to reflect back down the line. Better monitors have interchangeable cables, so that'd be easy to rule out.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-13-2006 08:06 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I already did - remembering I had that problem in video installations before, I checked the cable and found the input into the monitor was loose. Some idiot (meaning me) had just stuck it in there without tightening the fastening screws. Last night, I messed around under the table to put the cables for a new external hard drive in place, that must have knocked the input loose.

But thanks for responding with the tip anyway!

Now I want to realign the monitor. I have a nice little program with monitor test patterns. But it is on the notebook which I don't have right now. Before I do the easy thing and just google for something similar, does anyone have such a program or a link?

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2006 01:24 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually have that in my monitor, but I know the source. Its a crappy VGA extention cable. Too long.....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: