Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Firewire/LANC

Author Topic: Firewire/LANC
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2006 01:48 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any type of adapter or converter to go from firewire to LANC? Referring to external control of a camcorder.

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-23-2006 02:59 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen one, if you could get hold of the full spec of the control signals used you might be able to implement it yourself with a pc with Firewire and serial ports.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2006 03:34 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is for control of the camera while it is inside an underwater housing, so use of a PC is not possible.

I didn't think there was anything available, but it never hurts to ask.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-23-2006 04:01 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see. I've never seen such a thing, but I'll ask around in case anyone else has.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-23-2006 12:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You've got 60 minutes worth of tape. Just start it up, close the casing and dive! Tapes are cheap. You can edit out the parts you don't want later.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-24-2006 03:23 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, what exactly are you trying to control on the camera? If it's just a question of stopping and starting it then I would tend to agree with Brad's suggestion. If you're trying to control other functions then I think you're going to have problems, even if you could find such a converter, or build one yourself, I doubt that there'd be much room in the housing to fit it.

I tried asking two people who deal with this sort of thing, but neither of them has seen such a device.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-24-2006 12:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just make sure it's in focus and you have the white balance set for underwater. Also check the shutter speed and f-stop before you dive to make sure everything is properly exposed. Or simply use the wimpy "full automatic" mode, though many cameras might try to focus on the window of the casing rather than what's outside of it.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2006 05:23 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My main concern was mostly being able to turn it on and off to save battery power and to open the housing as little as possible on the boat. I suppose an easy solution is to get a camera with a remote control

The biggest problem now is finding a decent camera in my price range. I don't want to spend a whole lot seeing how I have never even used a camcorder in my life. I've never done any editing either.

Not a huge deal since I won't be doing too much diving until the spring, aside from a trip to Mexico in three weeks. I would like to be able to do video if I end up going to Fiji next summer though.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-24-2006 09:18 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend the Canon XL2 or if you want a bit nicer picture, the Canon XH1.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2006 10:00 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would get a Canon GL2 if I wasn't going to do stuff underwater, not worth the risk. Needless to say both are a little out of my price range at the moment mostly due to the high cost of housings.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-24-2006 10:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Borrow one of Brad's many Panasonic DVX-100's. He has them laying around on the bathroom floor doing nothing. It is small like the GL2. It can also shoot at 24fp but it cannot shoot 16:9 and the bright spots in the picture get blown out very easily. But who cares since you will borrow them for free. Call him now and ask... no, tell him that you will be taking one of the DVX-100's for an indefinite amount of time. Plus, if one of them gets damaged, it's not your camera so no worries! Simply move out of the country.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: