Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » George Lucas to quit making movies?

Author Topic: George Lucas to quit making movies?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-06-2006 05:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lucas: "I Don't Want To Make Movies Anymore"

www.imdb.com (news section for 11/6)

Director George Lucas wants to quit filmmaking to concentrate on more lucrative TV projects. The Star Wars creator says making movies is too risky nowadays, because the average cost of shooting and marketing a blockbuster is now $200 million, so he's steering his production company Lucasfilm towards TV and low-budget movies. Lucas also believes internet downloading is set to shake up the film industry, reports Empire magazine. He reveals, "We don't want to make movies, we're getting into television. The feature film thing is too expensive and it's too risky. For that same $200 million I can make 50 to 60 two-hour movies." He adds, "I don't think anyone's going to be in the (movie-going habit) anymore. Everything is going to be a matter of choice. I think that's going to be a huge revolution in the medium." However, Lucas isn't giving up his film career just yet - he's currently working on Red Tails, a low-budget film about America's first black military airmen, and the fourth Indiana Jones movie.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2006 06:42 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was actually news about a month ago, odd. Guess imdb had a slow news day and they needed to fill some space? Hopefully Indy gets released before 2010.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-06-2006 07:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley

Director George Lucas wants to quit filmmaking to concentrate on more lucrative TV projects.

Isn't that what his last 2 Star Wars movies were? [Razz]

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2006 07:29 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait...

Does this mean...

ANOTHER STAR WARS CHRISTMAS SPECIAL????!!! [Eek!] [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-06-2006 07:51 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually... there were rumors after Episode III came out that a Star Wars TV show was in the works.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2006 10:59 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yet another attempt to squeeze more money out of the Star Wars bit. I would say franchise, but that'd imply somone else having the rights. Not for SW though, Lucas wants all the money for himself.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-07-2006 05:49 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley's posted article
Lucas: "I Don't Want To Make Movies Anymore"
Well, That's about 29 years overdue!

I thought the ORIGINAL ***unmodified*** SW was great!

IMHO: Everthing else he did was crap! A one-man-band stuck in the only thing HE could come up with.

I did work with him/his team in the early days on Val Jean St in Van Nuys, CA... (Star Trek: The Movie series, Caddyshack, etc) and he DID give several talented guys their shot and start in the SPFX industry, that much I will give him credit for. But then he abandoned most all of them and moved himself and his headquarters/company up to north Cali and left a lot of guys hanging.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-07-2006 06:26 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now..now..now...the guy who demanded theatres get digital sound and later digital projection so they could play his movies leave us all hanging?

Phil: agreed; nothing of interest since Marsha Lucas and Gary Kurz left. Louis

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-07-2006 06:35 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis: [thumbsup] You're right on target about Gary Kurz... a heck of a talented (producer) and "good" person as well!

I've never met Marsha Lucas so I cannot comment. [Roll Eyes]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-07-2006 10:33 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marsha was wife and EDITOR. This guy needs editing badly.....too much a dreamer. Louis

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2006 12:24 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course I did enjoy Indiana Jones movies, that was Lucasfilm.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-07-2006 01:40 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Phil: agreed; nothing of interest since Marsha Lucas and Gary Kurz left. Louis
I think a lot of the success of the early Star Wars movies also had to do with the fantastic production design of Ralph McQuarrie who gave the movies that "realistic" look. Not much of which was left in the later series which looked just as fake and who-cares-what-we-do-since-it's-SF-we-can-do-anything-no-matter-how-realistic-it-looks-or-not as any other given SF product. It lost the unique visual attraction of the original movies, that feeling that you are watching something extraordinary but real.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-08-2006 10:39 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Charles Greenlee
Lucas wants all the money for himself.
He owns it... who should the money go to?

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2006 11:05 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
I think a lot of the success of the early Star Wars movies also had to do with the fantastic production design of Ralph McQuarrie who gave the movies that "realistic" look. Not much of which was left in the later series which looked just as fake and who-cares-what-we-do-since-it's-SF-we-can-do-anything-no-matter-how-realistic-it-looks-or-not as any other given SF product. It lost the unique visual attraction of the original movies, that feeling that you are watching something extraordinary but real.
I remember a quote from George Lucas, but I dont remember where I aw him say it. I thought it was from the laserdisc supplementary disc. He said, "A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing." I completely agreed with him. It seems like he has started to think otherwise. His last three Star Wars movies were one big not-so-special effect....AND pretty boring.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2006 10:49 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
This guy needs editing badly.....
Ok so your saying he needs to go have an Addadicktome done right? Possibly with a pair of balls to boot.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: