Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Seeing (most of) 'Children of Men'...

Author Topic: Seeing (most of) 'Children of Men'...
Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2006 04:20 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I went to see 'Children of Men'. I don't know what it's like yet because I haven't seen the end of it.

Why?

During the final two reels, the film started jumping in the gate mildly. Unfortunately, it became progressively worse until there was an earthquake onscreen. I told my friend I'd go tell someone about it.

I leave the theatre and find...no one. Not a single staff member to be found anywhere. At this location, the manager's office is located behind the counter, so I couldn't knock on the door either. Not knowing what to do, I waited. And waited...nothing.

Finally, fifteen minutes later, the movie finished and the other audience members poured out. I figured that they would want to mention something too, but nothing. Nada. Apparently, earthquake vision is acceptable to them.

Then a staff member appeared. At last!

I explained the situation, and mentioned that there was no one to tell at the time it was happening. He disappeared into the manager's office and came out a few minutes later.

'I spoke to the manager and the projectionist, and they said to tell you that the movie was shot that way - there's a lot of handheld camerawork.'

I explained that handheld camerawork moves in ALL directions, not just up and down.

'But the projectionist said he checked it.'

I asked what time it was checked; he didn't know.

He disappears again, and emerges a few minutes later again with passes to another show - fine.

My main gripes about this experience were:

a) That if there was someone on hand when I had first come out, they could have seen the problem first hand, and the projectionist could have seen it as well (and not just 'take my word for it')

b) After all the frustrating waiting, only to be told that I am wrong in the fault that I saw, especially since the show was no longer on the screen for them to prove otherwise. If I'd been stupid enough to wait for the end to say something, my bad. If I came out as soon as the problem occurred and there's no one to tell and the show's over by the time I tell them, their bad.

This was the final round of sessions for the night.

What are most theatre's policies regarding having staff on hand in the foyer for the patrons to report problems?

On a final note, I am sympathetic to these kinds of things - if there is a problem and I can tell someone about it straight away and the problem is attended to as soon as possible, then I'm fine with that. That's not my gripe.

One more thing - I am AMAZED that I was the only one who thought the image was unwatchable. WTF???

|  IP: Logged

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2006 05:46 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next time, don't take your pills with an energy drink and you won't have that problem. [Big Grin] No but really, this probably belongs in the stupid projectionist topic. Oh well. I does sound as if the flims slipped too tight on either the upper feed or lower feed sprockets causing it to be too tight and jump in the gate.

Matthew Peters
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2006 08:17 AM      Profile for Matthew Peters   Email Matthew Peters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which cinema did you attend?

"We need a name."
(Demanded in a Chinese accent, Seinfeld style [Big Grin] )

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2006 10:03 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles: [Smile]

Hi Matt!

This was the Greater Union in Bondi Junction, Sydney.

Edwin Sheldon
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2006 10:20 AM      Profile for Edwin Sheldon   Email Edwin Sheldon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to see this movie (sans film interruptions) very badly. Alfonso Cuaron does phenomenal work.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2006 10:20 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had an experience where there was a pronounced travel ghost. I was told by the manager that the projectionist had said that it was in the print. The travel ghost did get corrected when I explained that there was an adjustment that could be done on the fly that would probably resolve the issue. Bizarre thing was that no other people were or had been complaining.

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2006 08:12 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
'I spoke to the manager and the projectionist, and they said to tell you that the movie was shot that way - there's a lot of handheld camerawork.'

I explained that handheld camera work moves in ALL directions, not just up and down.

'But the projectionist said he checked it.'

That's the typical "multiplex" response. I saw "Alexander" at a Village cinema and it was weaving in and out of focus in the center. I got the same response, that it's "shot that way" [Roll Eyes] [Mad]

I have also heard 'projectionists' at multiplexes comment that it's a really hard job that they have, so we should stop our whining and just watch the film regardless of how it's presented. [Confused] [Frown]

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2006 08:29 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have some minor weaveing going on on number 4. Anyone reading this sight might pick it up, but your average customer won't, and doesdn't. Still bugs me. I've checked the lateral guide, the trap, the gate, etc. I've added gate tension, reduced it. For a while I though it was coming from the loose lens turret, and it was for the most part. Occasionally a customer commented when it was that bad. But now that the turret is secure, still have slight weave. Oh well. I'm a multiplex projectionist, and stuff like that, even unnoticed by the customer, bothers the crap out of me.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-09-2006 08:57 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to repost this in the "Hey You... You Suck!" thread in the Film Handla's Fo'um. Daz wut it b 4 yo.

Also e-mail the corporate office with the thread link. Actually you can't do that. E-mail them with the www.film-tech.com link and then give them specific instructions on how to navigate to the specific post you typed and tell them it is for all the world to see. Or better yet take a screen shot of your post, crop it, turn it into a JPEG, send it to them and then tell 'em it came from Film-Tech where it is public for everyone to see. That way they don't have to spend 20 minutes trying to find your post, and with their intelligence level that would be a good time for them, even with instructions.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-09-2006 09:26 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course that is all assuming those guys have the ability to read. No guarantee.
[Roll Eyes]

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2006 02:13 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, much of this stuff belongs in other categories, but you'll find that alot. Often things will apply to different areas, but that's the way communcation happens. Someone posed a reply here that is kinda a movie review, though just a brief opinion. And me? I just wasted 2 hrs of my life previewing Borat. There weren't any problems to fix, so not only did the content of the movie waste my time, but the fact that it was a smooth show took away any consolation I may have had.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2006 02:50 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best remedy posted on F-T is to add the theater's phone number to your cellphone list before you go. If there's a problem, call the manager from your seat and ask him to have it corrected, or to put you on to the projectionist's line.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: