Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cricket: Ashes 5-0 Clean Sweep to Australia! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Cricket: Ashes 5-0 Clean Sweep to Australia!
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-05-2007 03:56 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the first time since 1921 (or thereabouts) there has been a 5-0 whitewash in an Ashes series.

For those unfamiliar with cricket, The Ashes is any test match between England and Australia. There are no greater rivals in world cricket then these two teams and to go 5-0 after losing them to England only 15 months ago is a remarkable achievement.

It's bitter-sweet though as this series also marks the retirement of four players from the Australian team. Damien Martin (who retired spontaneously at the end of the 2nd test) Justin Langer, fast bowler Glenn McGrath and saddest of all, spin bowling legend (term not used lightly) Shane Warne who retires with just over 700 test wickets and just over 1000 wickets in international games including the one day series.

Well done to the Aussie team. At the end of England's win 15 months ago, the entire English team were awarded Queen's honours...this time I'm afraid a few of them will be shown the door and the way they just gave up in the end I would say rightly so. I do feel sorry for English Captain Andrew Flintoff though. He had an impossible task...a revengeful Australian team on their own turf and a team to lead (with few exceptions) that looked like they'd rather be at home eating a nice mince pie than playing for their country.

So farewell to the retiring Baggy Green wearers. You've done us mighty proud and we couldn't have written a better script as your swansong.

-

|  IP: Logged

Rick Hunter
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2007 05:30 AM      Profile for Rick Hunter   Email Rick Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You betcha....

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2007 06:34 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
White wash more like a [Mad] [fu] [sex]

Am I down hearted.

YES

One good thing Sky Sports will not pay a fortune to have sole broadcast of the 2008 Ashes.

So we can seen it on poor man's TV.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-05-2007 02:27 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
Well done to the Aussie team. At the end of England's win 15 months ago, the entire English team were awarded Queen's honours...this time I'm afraid a few of them will be shown the door and the way they just gave up in the end I would say rightly so.
Agreed ... sort of. Since the late '80s now, the big problem with cricket in England has been that it simply hasn't been supported at school or adult amateur level in any serious way. So unless you go to a posh private school or get hooked on it some other way, you're not going to get involved in cricket. Add to that the fact that all the big money and celebrity attention has gone into soccer over the same timeframe, and you get a situation whereby your average 5-15 year old aspires to play soccer in the World Cup, not cricket in the Ashes. So when the occasional star comes along, the expectations on him are enormous (same thing with Tennis - look at Henman's relatively early burn-out). Trescothick's pulling out blew a huge hole in the England side, much bigger than it should have done, because there was no Plan B. So Strauss and Panesar were effectively asked to do the job of a whole team, and however gifted those two are, that was always going to be too big an ask.

If we're ever going to have a serious cricket team again, the job of building it has to start now, and it has to start with primary school kids in the playground. Lots of primary school kids, in lots of playgrounds. That's the way Australia, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and the West Indies have come to dominate the game worldwide. I'll never forget sitting next to an Indian lady on a flight from Amsterdam to Minneapolis a couple of years ago: neither of us spoke much of the same language, but we had no problem discussing the recently finished England/India cricket tour for almost nine hours!

quote: John Wilson
I do feel sorry for English Captain Andrew Flintoff though. He had an impossible task...a revengeful Australian team on their own turf and a team to lead (with few exceptions) that looked like they'd rather be at home eating a nice mince pie than playing for their country.
Not quite as impossible a task as that of the captain of the Titanic (who was single-handedly responsible for the whole disaster himself, and didn't even have ten other poor sods to share the blame with), but, yeah (reluctantly!); agreed, too. At least we could have gone down with some sort of a fight... [Frown]

We should have sent Rachel Heyhoe-Flint down there ... I'm sure she'd have sorted Adam Gilchrist out!

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2007 05:03 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read once that cricket has the highest suicide rate of any sport. Something about potentially having days between at-bats. I'm not familiar with the game, but are such matches televised and how long do they typically take?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-05-2007 05:19 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A test match takes place over five days, with around seven hours' play on each day. Morning session - 1000-1300, then lunch; afternoon session 1345-1545; evening session 1600-1800. The tactics of how long each innings (the phase of a match in which each side bats) lasts, and the time it'll take to get runs, wickets, key batsmen out etc., is the major part of a captain's job in planning his tactics over the course of the match. Where sod's law comes in - tail enders lasting longer than expected, a key bowler failing to perform, rain stopping play, etc. etc., is where the fun lies for a spectator (real cricket nerd) or radio listener surreptitiously at work (me, basically) in finding out how the game pans out over this length. A test match usually runs Thursday to Monday.

The one-day match is what it says on the tin. Each side has 50 overs (over = delivery of 6 balls) to rack up as many runs as they can, while trying not to lose all their wickets in the process. There are big differences in the tactics of a test match and a one-day game, meaning that batsmen and bowlers who are stars in one might not perform well in the other. Basically, the test match is a long-term tactical game, while the one-day match is a quick and dirty run chase.

The cricket world cup, starting in the spring, consists entirely of one-day matches. Eternal optimists are saying that England should redeem themsleves a tad compared to the Ashes (note to anyone who needs an explanation: The Ashes is a tournament which has been played bi-annually between England and Australia since 1882 - Wikipedia article) ... but I'll believe it when I see it!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-07-2007 04:41 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eternal optimists... [Big Grin]

The one dayers over summer in Australia will be no different. England / Australia / New Zealand.

Australia and NZ will be in the finals and Australia will win.

That leaves the English team free to be thrown into the pit full of The Balmy Army. (Balmy Army is the name given to the multitudes of English supporters who travelled across the globe to see their team surrender from ball #1 on day #1 of the first test.)

Rick Hunter
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2007 04:52 AM      Profile for Rick Hunter   Email Rick Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on John, I think you are being a bit negative....

But when I think of it....perhaps not.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 08-20-2009 05:00 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 955 days since the last post.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-20-2009 05:00 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

After 4 of 5 tests, it's one-all with 2 draws.

The fourth test we wiped the pitch with the Poms winning by an innings and something runs. An absolute drubbing.

Get ready for more of the same. [Razz]

May the best team win. [thumbsup]

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2009 07:52 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John

Thats very sporting of you.

We will [beer]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-20-2009 04:51 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez...who prepared that pitch? [Roll Eyes]

End of day one...8 for 307 with England batting. High score of 72...and that was Ian Bell? Still, it's not too bad. That score is almost 3 times what you made in the last test in either innings. [Wink]

I hate to break it to you, but you're not going to win The Ashes back with those results. Don't forget...even with a draw, we get to keep them.

Bring it on... [thumbsup]

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 08-20-2009 04:59 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
“Cricket is basically baseball on Valium.” Robin Williams (American actor)

"Cricket civilizes people and creates good gentlemen I want everyone to play cricket in Zimbabwe; I want ours to be a nation of gentlemen” Robert Mugabe

“It (cricket) requires one to assume such indecent postures” Oscar Wilde (Irish Poet, Novelist, Dramatist and Critic, 1854-1900)

“Many Continentals think life is a game; the English think cricket is a game” George Mikes

“I tend to think that cricket is the greatest thing that God ever created on earth - certainly greater than sex, although sex isn't too bad either” Harold Pinter (English Playwright, b.1930)

“Baseball has the great advantage over cricket of being ended sooner.” George Bernard Shaw (Irish literary Critic, Playwright and Essayist. 1925 Nobel Prize for Literature, 1856-1950)

“Baseball and cricket are beautiful and highly stylized medieval war substitutes, chess made flesh, a mixture of proud chivalry and base - in both senses - greed” John Fowles

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-20-2009 07:30 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
YAWN...

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-20-2009 11:08 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Yes, I know. My wife agrees with you entirely, Phil. [Wink]

However, I do enjoy watching the games and especially The Ashes tests. I know cricket's not high on the U.S. sport calendar...but here, in Britain, West Indies and especially India it's huge.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: