Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Wireless Networking Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wireless Networking Question
Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2007 06:33 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two buildings on my property that I would like to both share a satellite internet connection. They are approximately 1000ft. apart and one is approx 20-30 feet higher in elevation. There is one line of tall trees between the two buildings and a christmas tree field w/ 10ft tall trees between the two also.

Is this even possible, and what equipment would be needed to accomplish this. Both are fairly new desktops.

|  IP: Logged

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2007 07:44 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look into the Super Cantenna. My friend has one of these. It really improved his signal range. I'd imagine some networks he was able to connect to were at least 1/4 mile away. One in each building might be all the better. They are reasonable in price as well, especially when compared to the worthless "high gain" antennas sold by the router companies.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-26-2007 08:07 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen this homemade with a pringles can once.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-26-2007 08:16 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much do you want to spend and how much do you care about reliability?

Most likely, you want something like this. Also, check out the Proxim product line.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2007 08:23 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jarryd Beard
Look into the Super Cantenna.
The first thing that came to my mind upon seeing "Cantenna" is an old Heathkit dummy load in a paint can. I'm not a ham, but I remember seeing those things in Heathkit catalogs long ago.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2007 10:14 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im willing to spend several hundered dollars for something that works properly. Thanks for the replies. Maybe up to $400-500.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-27-2007 05:54 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can also do point to point links with lasers; we've got three pairs of these: web page They're generally pretty reliable, we've been using them for about four or five years now. very dense fog, or sun shining directly into them can cause problems, but most of the time they just work. We've got the 100Mb. ones, but they also make Gigabit ones. They're not in the price range you're looking for though, unless you can find a secondhand pair.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-28-2011 10:24 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1489 days since the last post.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2011 10:24 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a similar situation to Adam's, and I'm not sure what equipment I need to accomplish it. We've got DSL internet service at the theatre, and we're going to start using the internet to process our credit card transactions. Our credit card terminals (First Data FD-100) have an Ethernet port on them so they can be hooked to the network, so the terminals inside the building we have no problem with as it will all be hardwired. Our ticket booth is approximately 300 feet away from the main building, and we have no communication wires going down to the booth from the main building. I've been told I can do it wirelessly, but don't know what equipment I need. There will be no computer in the ticket booth, only the credit card terminal that can be hooked to a network. What do I need on each end to make it work reliably and securely?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-28-2011 11:16 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you might need a pair of directional WiFi radios and a network POE (point of entry) device. We have to use this approach with sending data to/from certain LED-based electronic variable message centers.

One of the radio models we're using is an EnGenius EOC2611P. It's a "super G" 108Mbps rated model. You can order these from Streakwave Wireless. The range on these radios is really pretty far, up to 6 miles. You should have no trouble jumping 300 feet. The radios include a POE.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-28-2011 11:34 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a telephone in the ticket booth? If the telephone wire has two copper pairs and runs to the main building, you could use the extra pair for a DSL circuit. You can buy two used SDSL (not ADSL) routers on Ebay and set up a DSL circuit between the ticket booth and the building that has the wired connection. This would be easy to set up and more reliable than wireless anything.

Alternatively, if you have a telephone in the ticket booth, but the wire goes to the telephone company central office and not your main building, you might be able to get the phone company to sell you an "alarm circuit" that terminates in the ticket booth and main building for a few dollars per month. If the total distance is not too great, you could probably run DSL over that (but that is not guaranteed).

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2011 11:58 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, we have no telephone lines going down to the ticket booth either, only 2 electrical circuits in a 1 inch buried conduit.

My thoughts were to have just the credit card terminal in the ticket booth, plugged into some type of wireless device via RJ45 ethernet cable, then transmit the signal back up to the building wirelessly to some network transceiver that was plugged into the network switch.

The Streakwave link that Bobby provided looked like it might do the trick.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-28-2011 03:16 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
If you plan on transmitting credit card data wirelessly, make sure you secure your network and encrypt the data.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-28-2011 05:43 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The EnGenius radios will let you encrypt the data. They also allow MAC address filtering.

Bradley Peters
Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2011 06:00 PM      Profile for Bradley Peters   Email Bradley Peters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the wireless units can be located inside on both ends then you may not need actual outdoor units. (At 300 feet the long range design typical in the outdoor units is almost certainly more than necessary.)

You might be able to use a device designed to connect a set-top box or media player to a home wireless network for example. (With a standard wireless router connected in your main building.)

Some examples:

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: