Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Recent Concert/Shows You Have Attended (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Recent Concert/Shows You Have Attended
Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 03-23-2007 02:57 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who have recently attended a concert/small venue shows... musical acts or even stand up comedy acts/plays...

It would be cool to know your experience, possibly a review of what you thought of it and if available a link to a website/music/sample... etc. Reason being is that I love discovering new music and the like and would like to know what everyone else has experienced from a show, etc.

I just came back from a show at The Set in Tempe, AZ where the headliner was the band called "Skybox", a Chicago band that was originally from Phoenix, AZ. They are Ambient/Black Metal/Progressive House/Indie/Pop/Psychedelic... My co-workers invited me to join them, so I went not knowing very much at all about this band. I was able to catch some samples and they sounded pretty decent from what I gathered.

As for the show, I was able to get a really awesome view from the side of the stage. And they literally rocked the house... very cool stuff. They played a couple of songs that I vaguely remember hearing awhile back... so I knew that they must be one of those up and coming bands. [Big Grin] There were a few white masked dancers on the stage and close to the end of the show 2 guys dressed in chicken costumes dancing as well. By the last song about 6 other people from the audience joined on to the stage and danced to the music.

I didn't realize that my co-worker and I were talking to the lead singer of the band before they actually performed. I just kinda thought he was some guy from an indie band who was catching the show. When they went on I kinda felt pretty cool to have met him... to have talked and stood two feet away from him. [Cool] He seemed so normal. [Smile]

Their Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/skybox

|  IP: Logged

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2007 03:30 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jennifer Pan
They are Ambient/Black Metal/Progressive House/Indie/Pop/Psychedelic...
I do love a band who know their roots [Roll Eyes]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-23-2007 11:15 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been to a rock concert with a major headlining act in about a year. The last one was Nine Inch Nails, the With Teeth 2006 winter-spring tour, in March of 2006 at the Ford Center in Oklahoma City.

The concert was really good, with a variety of old NIN standards and tunes off the With Teeth release. I was surprised to see Trent Reznor shaved his head. The stage had lots of custom LED motion graphics displays, two different layers of projection screens including one that went in front of the stage and all sorts of other lighting gear.

I won't get into specifics too much. If you want to see what happened at that specific concert you can. They taped the show in 1080p HDTV. I recall two full sized studio cameras, a jib crane and some other gear in plain view.

The NIN show in Oklahoma City I attended along with another in El Paso were used to create the new NIN concert video Beside You In Time. It's available on DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

A political rapper dude, whose name I forgot, was the opening act.

Ian Woloschin
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2007 12:18 PM      Profile for Ian Woloschin   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Woloschin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recent (past year) shows, Carbon Leaf at the Paradise Rock Club, Boston, MA, end of October. Very good show, I helped out selling merchandise so I got in for free (along with my brother). Show was really good, got to chat with the band for a bit after, but I had to leave pretty shortly after the show to make it back to Alewife before the T closed [Frown] . I did get a bunch of good pictures while I wasn't manning the merch table. The venue was pretty small, so I could just walk in and be almost at the front of the stage.

I also saw Ted Leo + The Pharmacists at Clark University right here in Worcester, end of November. Free show, small venue, very awesome show. Ted Leo was sick and dying and missing bits of fingernails, but he still put on a really good show. Couldn't get any good pictures though, there was almost no light on the stage.

I'm going to a Decemberists concert at the Avalon in Boston tonight. Don't think that's a small band or a small venue, but it should be fun.

I've been possibly offered a Ben Folds ticket for tomorrow night at Assumption College (once again, here in Worcester). Not sure if I'm getting the ticket or not, but that'd be neat.

Going to see Carbon Leaf again at the Paradise Rock Club next Saturday, selling merch and all that good stuff again. Really looking forward to that again.

I'm actually helping to produce an OK Go concert April 20th at my university, Worcester Polytechnic Institute. One of the clubs I'm in does lighting and sound (and 35mm projection), so I'm hoping to have a lot of fun with that.

Going to see Ted Leo + The Pharmacists again the first week of May, somewhere in Boston, I forget where.

Finally, going to see Dispatch at Madison Square Garden in NYC in July. Definitely looking forward to that because I never thought I'd be able to see Dispatch live [Big Grin] .

...I also just got back from two months in London and do not have nearly enough money to be going to all of these shows. I'm just glad two of them are free for me...

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2007 12:24 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This wouldn't be to everyone's taste, but I went to a magnificent concert by 6-British men who are called the King's Singers.

This was a totally acoustic performance...no sound system. It was performed in an late-19th century music hall with excellent acoustics. Just six singers and six music stands.

The music ranged from 4-century Japanese court poetry set to music (I have NO idea what it was about, but it sure sounded nice!) to "Old McDonald" sung in Italian. Just beautiful, clear voices with a perfect blend.

I think it is important to, on occasion, to hear pure music, whether acoustic instrument or pure vocal. It gives a better sense of what music should sound like.

Please understand that this is NOT a negative comment on amplified music. I like it loud, but I also like to clean out my ears with a good acousitc set.

Oh, this was the night of the OSU/Michigan football game held here in Columbus, and they STILL sold out all 900 seats!

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 03-23-2007 04:34 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Latest concert was the "All the right reasons" tour on 3/11/07 in Worcester, MA. Main band was Nickelback also playing with Three Days Grace and Breaking Benjamin. Nickelback and Three Days Grace really rocked... Breaking Benjamin was...eh. Great show overall though! You know you really have the crowd going when you throw gallons of beer into the audience (Nickelback)...haha.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-23-2007 04:57 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<rant on>

I could never enjoy myself at concerts because they insist on playing everything at death level: past the point of distortion and beyond the threshold of pain.

I'm sorry, but leaving a venue with blood trailing from my ears just isn't my idea of fun.

Last show I saw was at Lehigh University last Christmas. Little Anthony and the Imperials, Richard Street (lead singer of The Temptations), and Tommy James. Even on a show like this, with many oldsters in the audience, you'd think they would've kept everything at a comfortable level, but no. The volume was ear-splittingly loud. I spent most of the evening with my fingers in my ears. [Mad] (And I was the only one whose ears weren't ringing when we got home!)

Never again. That kinda crap is simply too dangerous. I still use my hearing in my job and to mix soundtracks for trailers... I'm not gonna risk losing it because some kid at an audio console thinks he's being impressive.

<rant off>

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2007 05:14 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, ever hear (no pun intended) of a little invention called earplugs. [Smile]

Speaking of which, here's a little something I thought amusing. When I saw IRON MAIDEN at the San Diego Sports Arena during their summer 2003 tour, I was fortunate to have had a seat in the second row. I was close enough to see that Bruce Dickinson, the band's singer...was wearing earplugs! I felt like yelling up to him: "What's the matter, Bruce? Now that you guys are getting old, the sound is kinda loud, isn't it?!"

The last concert I attended was LINDA RONSTADT at the Gibson (AKA Universal Amphitheatre). A relative of mine is the drummer for RICHIE FURAY, who opened the show, so I was comped some tickets. [thumbsup] (A good show, but...I cannot believe she did not perform "You're No Good." Wasn't that one of her biggest hits???)

The last Broadway-type show I attended was MAMMA MIA at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas in 2004. (I also saw it in London in '03.) I've never been into Broadway shows and showtunes and that kind of stuff, but I must admit that I thought MAMMA MIA was very enjoyable. Even more so if one is familiar with the music of ABBA.

BTW, how many of you wear earplugs when you attend a concert?

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2007 05:24 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Velvet Revolver at the California Mid-State Fair last summer with my then 15 year old daughter. Also a group called Avenged Seven Fold at Cal Poly SLO with the same daughter. Before that was Kim Simmons of Savoy Brown fame at a small club here in SLO with my wife. All three were last summer.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-23-2007 06:08 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only been to two concerts in my entire life. The first was when I was about 7 years old. It was AC/DC. It was loud. They fired a canon several times. My ears rang for nearly a day after the event. Fast forward nearly 25 years and my next concert was Joe Satriani. It was a spur-of-the-moment thing as we only found out maybe 3 hours before the show started that he was even in town. It was loud but nowhere near AC/DC's level. Pretty good show except for all of the smoke which wouldn't wash out despite showering vigorously and washing my hair multiple times when I got home. The clothes had to be washed right away. It really made me appreciate smokers. They offer so much to the world and are so valued!

I had a chance to go to a Sting concert about maybe 10 years ago, but I decided to be a complete asshole and not go.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-23-2007 06:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
They fired a canon
Is that the famous Pachelbel canon we've heard so much about? [Wink]

I used to go to just about any concert, but haven't gone to many lately. I do think they are often too loud, but sometimes "distortion" is percieved as loudness. Loud can be great, if not distorted.

I hate wearing earplugs because it ruins the sound, but I've worn them occasionally. I think it's sort of dumb that they can't just play at a level where people won't need earplugs.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-23-2007 06:40 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Coate
Tim, ever hear (no pun intended) of a little invention called earplugs.
Either way, you're not going to be able to hear it properly, so why bother? [Razz]
quote: Mike Blakesley
sometimes "distortion" is percieved as loudness.
They equate loud with "good", regardless of what happens to the waveform along the way. [Roll Eyes] A kid I worked in a radio station with swore it didn't matter that he constantly pegged the VU meters on the console... he figured it was VOLUME, and made his voice louder in listener's radios. Even after listening to recordings of his airshift, he refused to acknowledge the distortion and clipping present in his audio.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-23-2007 07:35 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Is that the famous Pachelbel canon we've heard so much about?
Ah yes, AC/DC is world renowned for their wedding songs. Actually the cannon was featured in their song called "4 niggas about 2 rok we salute u", and they felt a real cannon at the show would enhance things. They probably should have fired blanks, though. Many people were killed by the cannonballs, but that enhanced the awesomeness.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-23-2007 07:51 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do actually remember that tour. I don't think AC/DC ever made it to this neck of the woods though...but I probably woulda gone, back in the day.

I think the best arena sound I've ever heard was when I went to a Phil Collins concert (go ahead and make jokes, but it was great) around the end of the '80s. It was in the Great Western Forum in L.A. (is it still called that?).

The best sounding concert I ever heard in any venue was an Alan Parsons show at the Moore Theatre in Seattle, in '99. Him being an engineer by trade, it had to sound good.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2007 10:39 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to go to concerts regularly during 1996 through 1998 when I had the first Sony mini dv cam and would sneak it in to tape them. After a while it got quite expensive going to all those shows and I stopped going for many years... the last concert I went to was Tom Jones a few years back, he rules.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: